Best way to lubricate my ignition barrel??

Foxy Stoat seeks Pig

I have noticed over the last few weeks that turning the key is not as smooth as it used to be or as smooth as I would like it to be.

I have cans of the usual suspects knocking around WD40, Silicone oil, GT85, ACF50 etc but is it as easy as just pointing the straw into the barrel and start spraying? Also is there a preferred lubricant I should be using??

Thanks all.

WD will be ok short term, but I would use a single drip of fully synthetic engine oil. You'll have to leave it 24hours but it will sort it.

people say carbon off a pencil is the best thing to use

I can't comment on that as I have never used it

Gt85 would be my preferred choice if it had to be any of what you had

If I use graphite powder would it be worthwhile to try and flush out any crap in there with WD before introducing the graphite powder?

I would probably use brake cleaner or something like that as it will evaporate and not leave any residue :)

people say carbon off a pencil is the best thing to use

I can't comment on that as I have never used it

Gt85 would be my preferred choice if it had to be any of what you had

Carbon works. I’ve used it in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive been using WD40 for this for donkeys years.. to flush out any water/muck and then lightly lubricate. maybe twice a year... beginning and end of winter.

Edited by Gerontious

My mates door lock had been sticking for 20 years he used this now its smooth like new

I had trouble getting a studded coolant hose adapter out of the cylinder head and tried WD40, Penetrating Oil & heat (blow torch)

This is the stuff that worked (without heat too) £5 from Halfods

471949.thumb.jpg.dc0adec4034cf09f2899b3b2fb7a9a35.jpg

My mates door lock had been sticking for 20 years he used this now its smooth like new

I had trouble getting a studded coolant hose adapter out of the cylinder head and tried WD40, Penetrating Oil & heat (blow torch)

This is the stuff that worked (without heat too) £5 from Halfods

471949.jpg

£4 with a trade card :mrgreen:

I might get some of that

Just dip the key in engine oil . It doesn't actually need to be fully synthetic, not where one drop in a lock is concerned.

Its a Yammy I have 2 the ignition locks go like that try either leaning the key forward or backwards, one way will easier. Actually I find its one way for steering lock and the other for ignition. I just think of it as extra security after my mate tried to start my bike and could not....

Other wise I have tried WD and Spray Grease, it helped for a bit until I learned the trick...

My key seized in the barrel one day, and I barely took it out, I thought that I would take the whole barrel out lol. I've used some mo94 spray from muc-off and it's fine since.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk