Honda Cbf 125

Tuckermoto

17 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

because they want you to use the dealer for everything.

my dealer will happily adjust my chain if I ask them... they will also clean and oil it for me too.. and then charge me £37

I didn't ask them how much it cost, they told me... because they half expected me to need them to do it. this was back in early 2019 and I asked them for a quote for new tyres supplied and fitted. They assumed I would want the chain looked at too, at the same time.  its actually not needed any adjustment since its first 600 mile service, and the cleaning/lube stuff I bought back then (costing £20) will probably last me another 10 years.

I know it said special tools what a spanner and socket wrench or torque wrench. 

But then I woukd have no idea why my back brake had more  slack. 

As the is no page about it in my manual also say the crank breather it mentions it breathy but doesn't say anything else where it is or what I need to do. 

Same with the battery says I should rub of the connectors but then doesn't tell me how to take the battery out like yours lol

Why is my manual missing so much yours even tells you how to change a whell can I ask how and where did you find it. 

I have to have mine serviced for the warranty which I've even extended another year just incase I'm prone to bad luck so I have to cover my ass.

Yeah i get it alot of people don't care for me its not about the money but more I like bikes I want to know how mine works why it works and how to fix things whether that actually happens we will see will defo be alot harder if they don't publish stuff I can read and learn from. 

Did you just find that as a google search be interesting to see for what year it was for. 

My fault does say a few bits about the battery but as you can see so much is missing surely other people print and publish service manuals and repair manuals or is Haynes the only one. 

Did you say African twin I swear i read that they are putting a front facing camera onto the next revamp. 

You mentioned your have a torque specs page i have one 2 with just 2 specs for like the most unneeded specs light screws and licence plates screws. 

As for say the crankcase breather says if i ride alot to check and that it doesn't say how or where it is and I use my bike to commute so yeah she gets used alot. 

IMG_20221024_173649.jpg

IMG_20221024_173914.jpg

Edited by Riley

There are several generic maintenance books for motorcycles. Whilst they won't have all the torque settings they will cover the vast majority of routine tasks needed to keep bike running well.

Just use Google and you'll find several options.

Join an owner's forum and there will be folk on there who can answer specific questions. 

it tells you what year it is for.

104362685_Screenshot2022-10-24at17_35_34.thumb.png.a31a470eb4530849c6ff45c177d1b833.png

If the manual was copyrighted in 2016, then that means its valid for bikes from that year or 2017.  new models tend to appear at the end of the year from Honda. And the manual will remain in force until the bike is updated to the point that things change.. with modern small capacity bikes that's nearly always (mostly) on the electronic side.. though they can take it further.

3 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Join an owner's forum and there will be folk on there who can answer specific questions. 

I don't get this. we have a new member joining the forum and getting some help.. and the suggestion is toddle off to another forum.

The CBF125 is one of the most popular 125s of recent years... are there no members on this forum who have ever owned one?

Ive never owned one.. Ive never owned a 125. and yet it was easy enough for me to find answers.

but.. and this seems to happen a lot, the suggestion - go somewhere else.

I wonder about this forum sometimes. I really do.

Thats just a general observation. not a dig at you.  But.. now the thread has been sidetracked. so Ive said my piece and will not return to it again.

8 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

There are several generic maintenance books for motorcycles. Whilst they won't have all the torque settings they will cover the vast majority of routine tasks needed to keep bike running well.

Just use Google and you'll find several options.

5 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

it tells you what year it is for.

104362685_Screenshot2022-10-24at17_35_34.thumb.png.a31a470eb4530849c6ff45c177d1b833.png

If the manual was copyrighted in 2016, then that means its valid for bikes from that year or 2017.  new models tend to appear at the end of the year from Honda. And the manual will remain in force until the bike is updated to the point that things change.. with modern small capacity bikes that's nearly always (mostly) on the electronic side.. though they can take it further.

Yeah I'm just so surprised that mine is missing so much like how to pull back the whell to tighten slack why would they miss that out just find it very strange. 

Yean I missed that also you did say 2016 seems they wanted to tell you how to fix things then aren't you guys surprised by how much is missing from my versions. 

What a cb125f owner fourm do they do that? 

4 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I don't get this. we have a new member joining the forum and getting some help.. and the suggestion is toddle off to another forum.

The CBF125 is one of the most popular 125s of recent years... are there no members on this forum who have ever owned one?

Ive never owned one.. Ive never owned a 125. and yet it was easy enough for me to find answers.

Thats just a general observation. not a dig at you.  But.. now the thread has been sidetracked. so Ive said my piece and will not return to it again.

Its all good I can learn from many sources and I've learnt alot from you guys so thanks 

Edited by Riley

@Riley Sorry only just seen this thread.

I believe Haynes still do a basic motorcycle maintenance book which might give you a helpful starting point.

If you are really keen a lot of colleges and adult learning centres do basic maintenance classes which I have been told are very good for building confidence and understanding especially for people who learn best by having explanation and hands on demos.

Whichever route works for you good luck.

Cheers

Ian

1 minute ago, Ian Frog said:

@Riley Sorry only just seen this thread.

I believe Haynes still do a basic motorcycle maintenance book which might give you a helpful starting point.

If you are really keen a lot of colleges and adult learning centres do basic maintenance classes which I have been told are very good for building confidence and understanding especially for people who learn best by having explanation and hands on demos.

Whichever route works for you good luck.

Cheers

Ian

Now worries yeah asked them they only go up to cb125f 2017 it was just a torque specifications query but since found out my manual compared to many other older ones is missing so much by comparison why I dunno. 

Cherrs tho 

P. S Ian you could help answer a pervious question that got lost in conversation the bike slack I measure both ways right up and down. 

Also do I clean the sprockets if so also the front bike is on 16.000 miles thhe chain defo needs adjustments as I think it was 3 inches of slack this morning so not good. 

Hi @Riley the Haynes book I meant is general and not model specific so should give you a starting point.

Off the top of my head most chains are supposed to have approx 50mm overall free play and are usually checked with the bike upright on its wheels but without the weight of a rider but please check this with a mechanic with experience of the 125 as I haven`t owned anything of this size for a long time and things change lol.

Did you have an instructor you got on with at your CBT? These guys are generally experienced and I am sure you can get info from them regarding 125`s as they see loads (Probably cost you a coffee but worth it !)

Cheers

Ian

14 hours ago, Gerontious said:

I take the point, but there have been many times when people asking questions about a specific bike have been advised to look on a forum dedicated to that particular machine.

I am a member of a Triumph forum as well as here. Members there how each other out as we know our bikes and have often had to find the same answers before.

As I said, there are several maintenance manuals the OP can buy which will assist them with aspects of maintenance that are common to many bikes. They just then somewhere where model specific details can be found. 

@RileyI can't see your location on my phone, the mobile view doesn't show it. But if you need some basic 'how to' advice there may be someone nearby who is willing to lend you a hand. I've done that several times for new riders.

There are also many YouTube videos giving good explanation of basic maintenance. You can learn a lot by watching several and seeing different ways people approach the same task. 

5 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I take the point, but there have been many times when people asking questions about a specific bike have been advised to look on a forum dedicated to that particular machine.

I am a member of a Triumph forum as well as here. Members there how each other out as we know our bikes and have often had to find the same answers before.

As I said, there are several maintenance manuals the OP can buy which will assist them with aspects of maintenance that are common to many bikes. They just then somewhere where model specific details can be found. 

Where are these maintenance manuals for my model.. Yeah i know a bike is a bike so most the big stuff stays the same but like I've said I have to reduce the chain slack and no one seems to knwo the  torque spec's that all. 

9 minutes ago, billy sugger said:

That's the same as the PDF I posted on here. It wouldn't let me cut and paste the website as a link so I compromised 

It's the direct dl link 

I would just un do it and tighten back to a tad more 😁 

As above I only tend to use torque wrench or an torque angle gauge for delicate important things or bloody high torque. 

3 hours ago, Yorky said:

FFS, the torque setting for a rear axle is 2 grunts, simples.

It's very important to get this right. Two grunts is for ladies. One grunt for big hairy blokes.

On a more serious note, @RileyI totally respect you want to learn how to work on your bike. And I hear you want to do it right. Absolutely spot on thinking. If you are a novice I really recommend finding someone near you who is willing to a) show you the ropes and b) will then let you do the work whilst keeping an eye on any safety related items. 

If you're anywhere near Cheshire I'd happily give you some time. I've done the same for others before. My garage often has friends bikes in it for various reasons. 

4 hours ago, Yorky said:

FFS, the torque setting for a rear axle is 2 grunts, simples.

These days if I tried to torque my swingarm up I think a little involuntary fart would pop out to signal its about right at the correct grunting point 🤣

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

These days if I tried to torque my swingarm up I think a little involuntary fart would pop out to signal its about right at the correct grunting point 🤣

Just wait till you get older, fart will be least of your concerns 😂 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bender said:

Just wait till you get older, fart will be least of your concerns 😂 

I think we could write an alternative to the Haynes manual.....

A possible title might be....Skidmarks and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. 

• Haha 4

I get it guys lol... I'm being a nerd but seeing as I habe a torque wrench I might as well do it right. 

Also I'm sure they mark these specs for a reason... But failed to publish them. 

I guess the whole concept of Newton meters doesn't matter at all lol.

But yeah I get the general censors 

This is a reply to all that have commented since my last one um also no no where near Cheshire. 

Nearest garage is a Honda dealer and I very much doubt they will let me in the garage to work lol. 

But I don't need a garage its just adjust the nuts a few turns to bring my slack back to under 1 Inch. 

But thanks like I said I found the page from a 2019 manual its 88nm this is completely gone in my 2020 versions which is off putting tbh

Screenshot_20221025_190251_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

8 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I think we could write an alternative to the Haynes manual.....

A possible title might be....Skidmarks and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. 

Hayness was my first thought but like most print they are almost dead and have moved all online and haven't got the honda cb125f 2021 revamp model it only goes up to 2017.

But I would think it would be fair to assume torque specs haven't changed and it will still be worth a read as a bike is a bike even if things are a little different like for example the drain bolt for the oil was right underneath now its opposite side vertically. 

Is hayness the only guys that print stuff like that...?