What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

4 hours ago, husoi said:

K&N are rated as top notch filters usually used in racing and high performance.

According to K&N their casings are made of thicker metal and will last longer or endure a more harsh use.

Because I ride frequently throughout the year water corroded the HF.

Hence going for a more expensive one.

First time using it so I can't say about how good they are.

Only when I change it next year I'll be able to tell how they compare to HF.

Maybe I will cut open the old one and keep it until I replace the new one and compare the 2.

No , K&N is the wrong choice for all weather riding . The handy 17mm nut is only spot welded on and is very likely to shear off if the salt has got at it  . 

9 hours ago, husoi said:

K&N are rated as top notch filters usually used in racing and high performance.

According to K&N their casings are made of thicker metal and will last longer or endure a more harsh use.

Because I ride frequently throughout the year water corroded the HF.

Hence going for a more expensive one.

First time using it so I can't say about how good they are.

Only when I change it next year I'll be able to tell how they compare to HF.

Maybe I will cut open the old one and keep it until I replace the new one and compare the 2.

Doesn't really matter if the casing of a filter corrodes. its only surface rust. Corrosion only becomes problematic if the vehicle is stored in a damp environment for a very long time. And in those circumstances you will have more to worry about than the oil filter. The important parts of the filter will not rust, unless its been fitted incorrectly. all the mating surfaces will be covered in oil, the most important being the screw insert and the rubber seal.  Hi-Flo produce pattern filters, designed to meet or exceed OEM specifications. I would have no problem using them if OEM is either extortionately expensive or unavailable at the time I need one.

Ive never really got the hype over K&N. mostly because they are used in racing. Think about what that actually means and then wonder if they really are appropriate for road use. I think not.

But, many would disagree. they believe the hype. Thinking that an oil filter used on a race bike where it might only be fitted for a few 100s of miles before being replaced is somehow better than an item that has been exhaustively tested by the Bikes manufacturer over 10s of 1000s of miles. Same goes for these free flowing air filters they produce. fitted for a few 100s of miles and then replaced, with the engine probably being completely rebuilt or junked soon after.

Does any road going motorcycle manufacturer supply K&N as oem. I wonder.

• Like 2

Rode from Poitiers, France down to just up the coast from Bilbao, in torrential rain. It stopped long enough for us to go get some food.

Everything is on a major drying out session, even full waterproof kit didn't help!

3 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

I bought this today .......

103184007.thumb.jpg.5eee0d8505507ddccacf043859397f15.jpg

That would be the absolute perfect bike for me . Practical , fast , light , red , a Suzuki , comfortable , good secure luggage , screen etc etc . Ideal for touring Scotland . Unfortunately I don't do practical  . 🤪

IMG_20220822_164548565_HDR.jpg

Edited by fastbob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Took it in for MOT and service. MOT passed 2 advisories. And it totally p155ed down on collection and my waterproof trousers are no longer waterproof. ☹️

• Sad 1

Replaced the plugs and air filter on the Silverwing, last changed about 22k miles ago when I bought it.

Plugs are hidden under a small cover in front of the seat.

Filter is under the RH side panel, filter cover itself held on by 12 screws, Honda didn't want that to fall off.

Quite a considerable difference in paper density between old and new, you can see daylight easily through the new.

Took it for a run after and it did seem to pick up better and a slight hesitation on first opening the throttle has gone.

20221001_105330.jpg

20221001_105609.jpg

20221001_110915.jpg

20221001_111523.jpg

20221001_111535.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bianco2564 said:

Got my monies worth out of them, should be changed every 8000 miles

I often find that the service interval of plugs seems a little low to be honest 

8 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

mine are due to be changed at 32,000 miles.

Massive difference in 8 and 32k! it just makes no sense 

I suspect yours use iridium plugs? those are supposed to be rated for 50k 

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Massive difference in 8 and 32k! it just makes no sense 

I suspect yours use iridium plugs? those are supposed to be rated for 50k 

Certainly are and cost.. well, best price at the moment is £25 each. and the bike needs 4.

I may well wait until the 48K service... see how they go.

One thing is certain, Ill be sourcing them myself and not getting them thru Honda as I suspect they will charge full RRP. 

1153177483_Screenshot2022-10-01at14_59_03.png.f72d90444bc468564f165279ac1e926f.png

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Certainly are and cost.. well, best price at the moment is £25 each. and the bike needs 4.

I may well wait until the 48K service... see how they go.

1153177483_Screenshot2022-10-01at14_59_03.png.f72d90444bc468564f165279ac1e926f.png

Jesus! have they shot up in price? that last set I bought was about £11 each! 

Glad I only need two :lol: 

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jesus! have they shot up in price? that last set I bought was about £11 each! 

Glad I only need two :lol: 

if you can find these for less.. i'm all ears.

its only fairly recently that the price has come down, they are a LOT cheaper in the USA.

But, if you think thats expensive, you should see the price of a replacement OEM battery. Best price £524 + post.  fortunately there are now pattern replacements.

3 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

if you can find these for less.. i'm all ears.

its only fairly recently that the price has come down, they are a LOT cheaper in the USA.

But, if you think thats expensive, you should see the price of a replacement OEM battery. Best price £524 + post.  fortunately there are now pattern replacements.

The last time I bought some they was just from halfords 

Rode it home from Macclesfield this afternoon through the Peaks  .... It’s an absolute joy to ride .... love it ...😍

Whatever I do the image appears on here upside down ???

20221001_151622.jpg

Edited by Trooper74
  • Like 1