What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Ye gods,  reminds me when I was doing my certificates of competency and we were not allowed to use calculators and Napiers Tables were your friend. Certainly were heavy and bulky enough to qualify for assault with a deadly weapon 

50 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

He'll be getting out his slide rule next and beware... if he starts waving his log tables around it could turn nasty.

I am sure @S-Westerly will be able to hold his own with his Nories and Almanacs.

Took the bike for its MOT - Passed (advisory on tyres which I had already pre-empted).

New tyres ordered (£780 inc. fitting, etc.)

Negotiated a free full service AND, they will collect/return the bike at no extra charge.

So for the £780, the bike will get a full service (including filters and oil) as well as two new tyres (inc. fitting, balancing, etc.)

RESULT!

11 hours ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

Took the bike for its MOT - Passed (advisory on tyres which I had already pre-empted).

New tyres ordered (£780 inc. fitting, etc.)

Negotiated a free full service AND, they will collect/return the bike at no extra charge.

So for the £780, the bike will get a full service (including filters and oil) as well as two new tyres (inc. fitting, balancing, etc.)

RESULT!

That sounds like a good deal.

Best get them to commit to protecting those lovely rims in writing !

Cheers

Ian

1 hour ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

My clock packed up so I've dismantled it and looking for a replacement movement. Whether I will be able to get the tiny bits back together again remains to be seen.

IMG_20220819_155442223.jpg

If it’s like the clock on the Trophy it rarely works.  However I am happy when it’s not working, every time it starts working something is going to go wrong. 

On one occasion it started working, the wiring under the seat burnt out, I had to change the loom.  The Clock initially stopped then started working the dash lights acquired fault. Fixed that clock has not worked again long may it continue.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Pie man said:

@rennie I'm assuming it passed if you put fuel in it. :cheers: 

My misses always takes her car for an MOT with next to no fuel it. Every time it’s had a full tank it’s failed the MOT heroically…

• Like 1

What's your route through the Ardennes? Going to be doing more or less that journey in reverse in a couple of weeks. Got a twisty route plotted out through Valenciennes, but happy to pick up any tips.

12 hours ago, bonio said:

What's your route through the Ardennes? Going to be doing more or less that journey in reverse in a couple of weeks. Got a twisty route plotted out through Valenciennes, but happy to pick up any tips.

I started in Trier in Germany and basically asked Tom Tom to plot a "thrill" from there to Namur avoiding motorways. It wasn't bad at all skirted south of Bitberg, sliced the top of Luxembourg then into Belgium through Manhay and on to Bomal sur Ourthe and on to Namur. Minor roads in Belgium are better than I'd expected but major ones worse. Also relatively low speed limits and lots of cameras and cops (on main roads). Made it in 4 hours from Trier so not bad. Left early morning so roads were virtually empty.

Quick update. I must have been lucky with my earlier Belgian roads as having a whole afternoon at my disposal I decided to investigate some twisty roads in the Meuse valley closish to Namur. They were good fun and certainly had me sweating but the surfaces were crap. Pot holes, tar snakes and loose crap all over. You might say it added to the fun but at least I can enjoy a couple of hood Belgian beers with a clean conscience. And I definitely prefer Belgian beer to German.

Picking up my latest motorcycle this evening.

Good news is that it's a1972 CB750

Bad news is that it's a hard tail chop

be interesting making it mine 

Radiator burst on the 500 gl Honda yesterday 😟

Edited by Bikeowner
missed a bit
  • Like 2

On 19/08/2022 at 15:56, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

My clock packed up so I've dismantled it and looking for a replacement movement. Whether I will be able to get the tiny bits back together again remains to be seen.

IMG_20220819_155442223.jpg

Just shove a cheap movement in it an paint the hands white or use old hands if they fit

9 minutes ago, Bikeowner said:

Just shove a cheap movement in it an paint the hands white or use old hands if they fit

The genuine article is only £3.95 - and that makes sure it fits into the case and the mounting pins for the Triumph face match up.

• Like 1

@S-Westerly Thanks!
Belgian beer is great, but still not good enough to make up for their roads. I'd rather drink Erdinger and have German tarmac.

I've planned a route to the south of yours. Still a lot of Belgium in it, though. Not convinced it's going to be that great.

image.thumb.png.04e34aae2397556e78825c5a748febae.png

1 minute ago, bonio said:

@S-Westerly Thanks!
Belgian beer is great, but still not good enough to make up for their roads. I'd rather drink Erdinger and have German tarmac.

I've planned a route to the south of yours. Still a lot of Belgium in it, though. Not convinced it's going to be that great.

image.thumb.png.04e34aae2397556e78825c5a748febae.png

German roads ate definitely better! But I do prefer Belgian beer. The northwest corner of Luxembourg is worth a poke about in as there's some quite challenging roads there and the surfaces are more like Germany.

• Thanks 1

Broke my bloody screen. Freak accident. Parked on a sloping cobbled place on Barnard Castle Market Place. As I was getting off bike a car on my left opened door and I shifted away and bike and I toppled into car on other side. No harm to car but broke my screen and squashed my already damaged leg under bike so now hobbling around. Will have to refit oem screen which wife will bring up on Tuesday. I'm in a filthy mood.

• Sad 8