What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

Was the 765 shod with what looks like pr4 tyres? Yes normally RS is on the firmer side of their range but the last owner probably softened the crap out of it including putting pr4 tyres.
Well the suspension can be firmed up.

so the opposite of the kwak, it most likly started soft (std set especially the rear) and the owner turned the knobs in.

shod with bridgestone roadsports which are stiffer and less winter than the mich.

Apart from losing one pannier I had a good day adding another couple of hundred miles on. Less than 150 to go before service which is booked for Jan 12. Rode from near Walton on Thames to Pangbourne, up the Thames Valley to Wallingford and on to Oxford then Stratford (and the Piston Club for lunch) and home again via Evesham and Tewkesbury M5 Junction and home. Nice to have an entire day without rain. The bike is definitely more pleasant to ride than the Multistrada at least for me.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

Yep spliced out for the cattails treatment there IF.

youll need ape bars tapered back or a smaller longitudinal engine that doesn't put your hips to far back either.

Shame as it's such a pretty bike, the earlier 'A' models have more appropriate, higher, further back bars that'd be ideal, but I'd never find a 20 year old bike in the condition I'd want so I'll probably rule them out and I'm not into customisation or swapping parts out.

I did call into my local HD showroom on the way home and yet again, the Sport Glide felt like it had been designed around me. Without doubt the most comfortable bike I've ever sat on. 

MbAaaLw - Imgur.jpg

Edited by Interference Fit
  • Like 1

Well, after the second ride of my bike, I thought I'd check the chain... Oops......

This is before and after, I know it's boring, but, as per thread, it's what I did to my bike today.

Looks like another couple of good cleans needed to get the rest of that muck off. I didn't even know it had a DID chain.

I'm ashamed to confess, it was much easier to spin that back wheel after a clean and lube.

20231231_111105.JPG

20240106_210812.JPG

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RideWithStyles said:

Was the 765 shod with what looks like pr4 tyres? Yes normally RS is on the firmer side of their range but the last owner probably softened the crap out of it including putting pr4 tyres.
Well the suspension can be firmed up.

so the opposite of the kwak, it most likly started soft (std set especially the rear) and the owner turned the knobs in.

shod with bridgestone roadsports which are stiffer and less winter than the mich.

Doing a zoom in on the pictures they could well be PR4's, which are decent rubber, but not something I'd be expecting on a bike of this style. A mate came to the dealers and when he sat on it, he even mentioned it 'felt' soft, not barring in mind he's a good 15+ kg lighter than me did make me think if what I was thinking was right. 

The dealer does have a new model, but being that extra cost is making me think this might not be the right bike for me.

If next weekend is dry and warmer I'll see about taking both bikes back out again, but this time would be the newer model.

So thats the thing most likely the previous owner softened the hell out of the bike to make it barable for them (rightly or wrongly with settings) as they are very firm out of the box also they came with sporter Pirelli tyres.

Those pr4 tyres aint bad but they do have a great bearing on its handling and feel which might sway you to or away from it depending on your wants or use case.

so did they soften the rear to save their arse but left the front stiff to give response while this can be bad as it give a hitch in the chassis as the front and rear are doing different things at different times making it feel at odds and terrible.

As part of researching your next purchase, see what is standard setting suspension for that bike should be and see if it is still at those cos don't expect the dealer to be bothere to reset it prior to the new owner -if not tou can work out after or mid way a ride mid way if it was correct and if there is scope for adjustment. Also this is good clue if the suspension is due a refresh or replacement if you're thinking of buying it (or knock price off the bike).

Edited by RideWithStyles

4 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

The brand new CBR600RR? 😁

It's a good job that wasn't out when I bought mine, as I'd have contorted myself onto that instead no doubt. And probably sold it even sooner!

I can see myself on a Harley the way things are panning out.

Just out of interest, is there a go-to place to advertise bikes privately other than here and FB groups / marketplace?

32 minutes ago, Interference Fit said:

It's a good job that wasn't out when I bought mine, as I'd have contorted myself onto that instead no doubt. And probably sold it even sooner!

I can see myself on a Harley the way things are panning out.

Just out of interest, is there a go-to place to advertise bikes privately other than here and FB groups / marketplace?

Hi,

as a tool to get your bike seen by many, I used to use Ebay but be very careful of the fees they charge now. You could advertise the bike and withdraw it before the sale ended to avoid the fees. Been a while since I sold anything on there though, be weary. Also for a fixed price Autotrader was good for cars, Biketrader for the bikes. Never used mcn classified so don't know about that one.

Part ex no good to you?

7 minutes ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Hi,

as a tool to get your bike seen by many, I used to use Ebay but be very careful of the fees they charge now. You could advertise the bike and withdraw it before the sale ended to avoid the fees. Been a while since I sold anything on there though, be weary. Also for a fixed price Autotrader was good for cars, Biketrader for the bikes. Never used mcn classified so don't know about that one.

Part ex no good to you?

Yeah, will p/x if I need to, just trying to minimise the trade vs retail gap to save some money, but accept the security and convenience of p/x. 

Hoping to pick up a new bike in March for the latest plate, unless a good ex-demo comes along. 

Have tried classifieds on Autotrader, Ebay, Freeads and Gumtree.

Autotrader and Ebay worked out about £20, but you get 30 days on ebay vs. two weeks on autotrader.  More views on ebay classifieds too.

Gumtree and Freeads were free, and about value for money.

• Like 1

I've used ebay. You have to filter out the punters who only want a bargain, but get the price right and photograph it well, and you'll have a buyer soon enough. When I sold the VanVan, the guy bought it without seeing it, sent a van down from Yorkshire to pick it up. I think £3-£30 was a reasonable fee to pay; it would have been hard to move it on at all if I'd had to rely on selling it locally.

• Like 2