What did you do to your bike today?

Stu

So exciting. Cleaning the chain the old fashioned way. Paraffin and a brush. And I’m still not missing the shaft drive. It’s quite satisfying to be honest. Just a shame it’s not one of those glittery gold ones. But we can’t have everything - can we.  I’ll leave it an hour and then go for a ride and oil it when I get back - when it’s nice and warm.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

I’ll leave it an hour and then go for a ride and oil it when I get back - when it’s nice and warm.

Does that help? 

Will the oil adhere better, or is it to do with link expansion? 

Or... 

Is it because it'll be dry? 

14 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Does that help? 

Will the oil adhere better, or is it to do with link expansion? 

Or... 

Is it because it'll be dry? 

I do it the old fashioned way.., which is actually what the manufacturers tell you - if you read the box. Paraffin to clean and EP90 (Gear oil) to lube. The reason to do it to a warm chain is it allows the oil to penetrate. In between the sliding plates. This helps prevent stiff links. And also keep water out. And so corrosion at bay. We call it lubing. But with modern sealed chains that’s not the actual purpose - it’s about rust prevention more than anything else. Which is important ti me as the bike lives outside. So when we are in Germany you will see me at least once oil the chain as soon as we get back to the hotel. It takes just a couple of minutes. Do it when the chain is hot and it’s easier.

IMG_2053.jpeg

Edited by Gerontious
  • Thanks 1

Had a ride to Willingham woods tonight 

Good ride but someone had dropped all the oil out of their car all the way through the layby! 

It was a lovely hot rod that looked as though it had loads of time and effort spent on it! 

It was a little bit slippery 😳

PXL_20240626_184508207.jpg

PXL_20240626_183734012.jpg

PXL_20240626_183721433.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Stu said:

Good ride but someone had dropped all the oil out of their car all the way through the layby! 

It was a lovely hot rod that looked as though it had loads of time and effort spent on it! 

Looking like a good evening. 

The guy who left the oil slick must paint white road lines for the council 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Did you have to take out a mortgage for a butty and a cup of tea?

About to leave Glos. for another grind up the motorway to Northumberland to see my Dad. May do the Fosse Way to Leicester to at least ameliorate some of the boredom. Adds only about an hour time wise so it's nearer 6 than 5.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

About to leave Glos. for another grind up the motorway to Northumberland to see my Dad. May do the Fosse Way to Leicester to at least ameliorate some of the boredom. Adds only about an hour time wise so it's nearer 6 than 5.

Safe journey. 

Do you listen to music, or even the radio? 

31 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

My backside is howling in protest at the mere thought.

Respect.

• Haha 2

The Socks Of Doom !!!
chain needs a clean and lube …I have a cunning plan … Ive a pile of white sports socks now redundant as purchased 10 pair of new ones this morning. …… 1. Place disposable glove on hand. 2. Pull on the 2 sports socks over the glove. 3. Pour white sprit in to the hand section of the gloves. 4. Hold sprit soaked socks around chain and spin rear wheel with free hand. … Admire clean chain. Apply chain lube (mine is banana flavoured).

IMG_0651.thumb.jpeg.d7b56e3ce87e47de2dbc0dc6e4c559d9.jpegIMG_0652.thumb.jpeg.709d4687c312e8cff6eecb020bd10338.jpeg
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

The Socks Of Doom !!!
chain needs a clean and lube …I have a cunning plan … Ive a pile of white sports socks now redundant as purchased 10 pair of new ones this morning. …… 1. Place disposable glove on hand. 2. Pull on the 2 sports socks over the glove. 3. Pour white sprit in to the hand section of the gloves. 4. Hold sprit soaked socks around chain and spin rear wheel with free hand. … Admire clean chain. Apply chain lube (mine is banana flavoured).

IMG_0651.thumb.jpeg.d7b56e3ce87e47de2dbc0dc6e4c559d9.jpegIMG_0652.thumb.jpeg.709d4687c312e8cff6eecb020bd10338.jpeg

That's a great idea! 

I'm always binning socks, now there's another use. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tinkicker said:

My backside is howling in protest at the mere thought.

Respect.

20 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

The Fosse way is a great ride in its own right 👍

15 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

The Fosse way is a great ride in its own right 👍

Done it before from Cirencester to Lincoln but I didn't get away on time due to a previous appointment so ended up doing the whole thing on motorway. 

When driving for a timber company we had regular drops to the Exeter, Bath, Bristol and South Wales areas. We were based south of Grantham in Lincs so when tipped and coming back empty I'd explore many of the roads back across that area including the Fosse Way. Nice countryside and gently rolling A roads.

I'd make mental notes of where I thought would be good biking roads.

Your journey to Northumberland though SW is a bit of a ball ache, have you considered flying?