Where would you buy a bike?

Gaz_

So, the original plan since I rode scooters 20 years ago was to take the CBT, the MOD1 class and the MOD2 and get a license, buy a 600ish CC bike and build my confidence quietly riding. The problem was when I got on the bike at CBT I wasn't very confident with the gears (I think it's about teaching an old dog new tricks) so I now think I'll spend 6 months on a 125CC with my CBT and L Plates and get the confidence back up.

Now I look around for a bike. I don't want a moped, it's the gears I need to learn, but at least round here I can't find much in the value end of the spectrum.

I was hoping to spend £1000-£1200 and get something with a few scrapes on it but runs well and then resell it in 6 months or a year with a little bit of a loss, I figured there'd be quite a few people selling bikes like that but I can't seem to find the people upgrading as they get their full license.

I then started to notice the Chinese options, I know they aren't quality but to get something with ABS and LED lights on it for £1500 almost makes it into a "beater", just with less resale options.

Right now I'm looking at Gumtree and Autotrader but does anyone else have any recommendation for where to watch and buy that first short term learner bike?

I'm sure others will suggest that rather than buying a new Chinese bike you'd do better to buy a used Japanese built bike. Look after it and you'll get your money back when you trade up.

Independent dealers are around but it depends where you are. Autotrader usually has plenty of bikes on offer. Be picky, don't buy the first that you see.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog

I'm sure others will suggest that rather than buying a new Chinese bike you'd do better to but a used Japanese built bike. Look after it and you'll get your money back when you trade up.

Independent dealers are around but it depends where you are. Autotrader usually has plenty of bikes on offer. Be picky, don't buy the first that you see.

I agree. Also if you don't know much about bike mechanics bring someone with you who does when you view it.

It's hardly a no brainer, there is a good chance the Chinese bike will be an un reliable pile of rusting turd.

I paid 1k for a 3 or 4 yr old cbf, had it a year and got 1k back for it.

But the question is from where?

As others have said if you are not mechanically minded take someone with you who is. Why not talk to the instructors at the training centre they often know of learner bikes doing the rounds amongst trainees. Apart from that try independent bike shops and the online places like ebay, gumtree, Facebook market place but check the bikes are legit and legal before handing any money over.

It's all about alerts.

Set them up on

eBay

Facebook (and join some local motorbike selling groups)

Autotrader

Gumtree

You can be quite specific in your search parameters and I'd definitely recommend that - budget, location, make etc

It's quite a keen market so the alerts help keep you ahead of the curve, BUT don't feel pressured because for anything you "miss out on" they'll be another just around the corner :thumb: