Pickup advice

Moonraker

A local guy in town has an Imported Left hand drive Dodge Ram which has been hugely lifted. It looks fantastic but I dont think I'd enjoy driving it on UK roads, especially rural roads around here :lol:

Back when I was 18 i went to good old 'Merica and drove a big old truck, very briefly. Was massive. I was in Texas so maybe this is where it all started for me!

I'd love to drive one on the roads here :lol:

I appreciate the comments by the way :thumb:

Its a pick up or an suv ...

I'm sure my 10 month old daughter (and my dog) would prefer being dropped off in a pick up rather than a Quashqai!!!!

:roll:

Tou don't want people questioning her parentage bo do you.

I "borrowed" an L200 warrior must be 15 years ago from Skanska to collect a set of wheels from the other side of the country.

It was dark and lashing it down and I did some accidental off roading somewhere out in the sticks. Had an absolutely brilliant time even though it was slow and handled like a turd on the road.

I appreciate the comments by the way :thumb:

Its a pick up or an suv ...

I'm sure my 10 month old daughter (and my dog) would prefer being dropped off in a pick up rather than a Quashqai!!!!

:roll:

Tou don't want people questioning her parentage bo do you.

I "borrowed" an L200 warrior must be 15 years ago from Skanska to collect a set of wheels from the other side of the country.

It was dark and lashing it down and I did some accidental off roading somewhere out in the sticks. Had an absolutely brilliant time even though it was slow and handled like a turd on the road.

Oh I don't worry about that :D

Be very careful on what the pickup is called on the V5c as if it is registered as a commercial you have lower speed limits. Commercials over 2 tonnes laden can only do 50 on unrestricted roads, loads of people have got fines as they think their car/van falls into the car derived category but it does not. Check first.

If its classed as a commercial or dual purpose vehicle with an unladen weight of more than 2040 kgs the speed limits are lower. As for vans vehicles like the ford connect and citroen belingo and others with the higher load rating are also on the lower speed limits. Loads of drivers do not realise this until they get the speeding ticket in the post.

If its classed as a commercial or dual purpose vehicle with an unladen weight of more than 2040 kgs the speed limits are lower. As for vans vehicles like the ford connect and citroen belingo and others with the higher load rating are also on the lower speed limits. Loads of drivers do not realise this until they get the speeding ticket in the post.

That's because they ain't a car derived van, your right lots of confusion and people get caught out.

That's because they ain't a car derived van, your right lots of confusion and people get caught out.

Just looked up the Navara it’s 2038kg. They obviously make sure they scrape in under the weight limit!

Just looked up the Navara it’s 2038kg. They obviously make sure they scrape in under the weight limit!

Weigh saving on the chassis and thats why the snap in half :D

Its very complicated, look it up on the web, Parkers website seems to do a good job of explaining it.

It seems most pickups are taxed the same as Transit ype vans, currenlty I think its about £270/year.

I had another look at Parkers.

Screenshots show this...

SmartSelect_20201030-192608_Chrome.thumb.jpg.27b37049c9bce9a5dae2e97aca45b1bb.jpgSmartSelect_20201030-192631_Chrome.thumb.jpg.db0fec6435b7940d23ddef861c52c3e9.jpgSmartSelect_20201030-192719_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6ea5b0cbaaf61ce4f55d4b1fd731903f.jpgSmartSelect_20201030-192735_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7afdbcec2946542556db72bcdc093303.jpgSmartSelect_20201030-192905_Chrome.thumb.jpg.dac77da3b335cd31c60daeff5031f249.jpgSmartSelect_20201030-193132_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c42370e5568c55f1e940f119c69d4009.jpg

So, say a 2003 L200, weighing in at 1.7 tonnes (according to auto trader) would be £270 tax a year, flat rate, right?

Seems £270 is worst case scenario for what I have in mind. Is it as simple as that and I just missed it?

:popcorn:

If you want a pickup go for the Hilux, really is the best of the bunch.

Not sure what the L200 is like but I had a Shogun a while back and it was crap,problem after problem, think the L200 has a slightly smaller DID engine so may suffer the same issues?.