Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Good morning :thumb:

Been a while since my last visit here, just been so busy at work, but not for much longer :yay: Going back to part time soon and will have loads of time to spend on myself, ride outs, touring, camping and fishing and anything else I can think of:thumb:

• Like 5

I've been keeping myself entertained on the Quora.com website.  People ask questions on there and others will answer. 

Currently browsing the World War 2 section and found the question: Why didn't Germany invade England through the Channel Tunnel?  :classic_wacko:

• Haha 8

10 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

I've been keeping myself entertained on the Quora.com website.  People ask questions on there and others will answer. 

Currently browsing the World War 2 section and found the question: Why didn't Germany invade England through the Channel Tunnel?  :classic_wacko:

I worked for a travel company when it first opened. The boss got to go on an inaugural trip, with some American woman who kept complaining that she couldn't see the fish.

• Haha 2

What's peoples views on this video. About 5 minutes in she slides off the bike. My view is the other car should have stopped but I don't think she saw the car early enough I'd have just eased off the gas and waited . It's proper icy on the right hand side of the road where she pulled over to but that's  hindsight.  I don't think the bike and tyres were right for those conditions 

https://youtu.be/kTBbGhCtAC8

Edited by MikeHorton

Good evening

I got in a bit of trouble yesterday, although it was very funny. Me and my girlfriend have a little dispute about one of her friends on the Isle of Wight. Basically I think she's a wrong'un, and the mrs thinks I'm being too mean, and "she's actually really nice". 

The short story is, this girl broke things off with a fella she was engaged to, and got together with another guy who was 10 years older, and had a lot of debt as he'd been long term unemployed. She paid off his debts with her own savings, which is a big red flag for me, but the headline here... He proposed to her, but didn't have money for a ring, so reused the ring from the first fiance to save money! And what makes this so bad for me, she cheated on fiance 1 to be with fiance 2. 

My reaction was a bit strong, but it annoyed me how no one raised it. I feel friends should intervene when you're about to make a mistake of that magnitude. My mrs took the view that it was unconventional, she wouldn't accept it herself, but she didn't feel she should say anything. 

Anyway, I told a different friend group my mrs has, all girls, asking for them to judge whose response was right. It was a bloodbath, not one of my mrs friends was on her side. Vindication :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

What's peoles views on this video. About 5 minutes in she slides off the bike. My view is the other car should have stopped but I don't think she saw the car early enough I'd have just eased off the gas and waited . It's proper icy on the right hand side of the road where she pulled over to but that's  hindsight.  I don't think the bike and tyres were right for those conditions 

On first watch I expected the Merc to wait, as he did for the first bike, I'd have made the same assumption and carried on the same course. And you are supposed to give people more room in these types of conditions, especially more vulnerable road users. So you could argue a good portion of blame at least, sits with the driver. 

However, could she have crossed the ice as her partner does on the return to her? It's an iffy one. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

On first watch I expected the Merc to wait, as he did for the first bike, I'd have made the same assumption and carried on the same course. And you are supposed to give people more room in these types of conditions, especially more vulnerable road users. So you could argue a good portion of blame at least, sits with the driver. 

However, could she have crossed the ice as her partner does on the return to her? It's an iffy one. 

Yep not straight forward I could see it happening too bikes don't bounce too well !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Maybe just cross right over rather that trying to turn back onto the road.

I have done similar and ended up the wrong side of a paved area (had to dismount and (very) carefully push the bike backwards to the road).

Still, saying that, the car driver is a right nob!

2 hours ago, MikeHorton said:

What's peoples views on this video. About 5 minutes in she slides off the bike. My view is the other car should have stopped but I don't think she saw the car early enough I'd have just eased off the gas and waited . It's proper icy on the right hand side of the road where she pulled over to but that's  hindsight.  I don't think the bike and tyres were right for those conditions 

Having recently wiped out on packed snow I quickly learned that any use of the front brake, handlebars, any attempt to go either up or downhill will result in the bike sliding out from under you.  Pretty much the only thing you can do is ride slowly in a straight line while getting increasingly stressed and quietly cursing your choice of transportation.

Edited by Fiddlesticks
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, goat said:

In Middlesbrough for work. Just been out for a parmo. 

Had to google that. 

Was it worth the trip to Middlesbrough?

Edited by bonio

Good evening. Two years ago, I thought I might just be able to retire in 3 or 4 years. Now I reckon it's 5 years away at least, and it could hold there, always 5 years away, for as long as inflation is up where it is. Saves the hassle of working what to do with all that free time🤣

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1