Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

9 hours ago, bonio said:

Loads-a-sun here on the Costa Lowestoftia. It's hardly stopped sunning since January. Sloe bushes all in bloom. Willow trees coming into leaf. Full-on spring. Only wish I had some time to ride the bike...  

Just don’t head East when you do. 

One of the joys of moving away from Norwich is being able to ride in any direction and not run out of interesting places.

Norwich. North 20 miles, sea. East 20 miles, sea. West 40 miles, fenland. South… yeah, that’s ok. 

• Like 1

Good morning

Bracing for a family trip down to London this weekend, and I'm driving. Spending nights in the garage trying to get it all sorted out, as I'm trying to hook up the generator and battery to the relay board I've knocked together. Found out the other day a tank of fuel on the Honda genny lasts about 3 months with the way I use it (mostly battery charging). 

• Like 1

I've just spent two hours on the phone with a mortgage advisor. Feel like I've lost the will to live after going through their questions

" what would you do if you lost your job? "     I would get another job

"what would happen if you couldn't get another job? "  I would use my savings and my Wife's income until I could find another

"But what if you never found another job?"     I'd buy a shotgun and rob a mortgage company :bang:  

He actually found that a lot funnier than my Wife did :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Morning

We lost a member of the team this last week, and he's really left the boss reeling. A lot in the team knew he was sitting on projects, and basically letting project managers chase him without reply. I think in recent weeks, his emergency contact (mum) had to be called to find out where he was as we work from home, and he didn't reply to any messages/calls. First concern was his mental health was in the toilet, as he'd struggled with working from home. 

He finished last Friday, and left me an e-mail at 5:30 (we finish at 4) to drop a project on me. He mentions there being issues, but doesn't say what they are, just signs off quickly, and says goodbye. Leaving me with the task of figuring it all out and sorting it. 

It kind of baffles me, this guy was young, big rugby player type, from an affluent area, grammar school student, and masters degree. But 0 confidence, and 0 drive when it came to work. I thought he'd sweep by me in no time, and leave my career in the dust. 

28 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

Morning

We lost a member of the team this last week, and he's really left the boss reeling. A lot in the team knew he was sitting on projects, and basically letting project managers chase him without reply. I think in recent weeks, his emergency contact (mum) had to be called to find out where he was as we work from home, and he didn't reply to any messages/calls. First concern was his mental health was in the toilet, as he'd struggled with working from home. 

He finished last Friday, and left me an e-mail at 5:30 (we finish at 4) to drop a project on me. He mentions there being issues, but doesn't say what they are, just signs off quickly, and says goodbye. Leaving me with the task of figuring it all out and sorting it. 

It kind of baffles me, this guy was young, big rugby player type, from an affluent area, grammar school student, and masters degree. But 0 confidence, and 0 drive when it came to work. I thought he'd sweep by me in no time, and leave my career in the dust. 

Presumably he's found an alternative job and is a dick by dropping all his colleagues in it. Does happen. Had a guy on here dropped out of rejoining literally on the day he was supposed to be coming. Turned out he'd got a better job elsewhere which is fair enough but he strung everyone along until the last minute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Presumably he's found an alternative job and is a dick by dropping all his colleagues in it. Does happen. Had a guy on here dropped out of rejoining literally on the day he was supposed to be coming. Turned out he'd got a better job elsewhere which is fair enough but he strung everyone along until the last minute.

I think he had probably thought for a while he was going to start fresh somewhere else, so let things pile up. But there was a member of staff warning he'd been doing it more or less since he started 3 years ago. I thought it was poor confidence, as his CV is academically very impressive, but recently it just started to look like someone who had no interest in what he was doing, and let it build up knowing he was just going to dump it on his co-workers. 

It just seemed the furthest thing away from what you expect from someone with that background, and a big rugby player (130kg, 6ft 4). 

At least if I decide to go I can't do worse, and it has crossed my mind as I'm pushing for a promotion, or at least the company car as the competitors are offering me these things. The system at work has a marker against old staff, which basically alerts future managers if that member of staff tries to come back. It tells them whether to re-hire or tell them to get stuffed. I think I know which box this chap has just ticked. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Not uncommon in any industry you don’t have a relief until you can see the whites of his eyes and a gangway in the middle…

I had something similar happen about 20 years ago: There was a chap on my project working on some software. He had loads of experience and was more than capable of doing the job, so I didn't really chase him up much except to ask for an update = "yes, it's going well", and to ask him to check his code in to the repository, where we could all get at it. Each week the same, each week he didn't check anything in. After a couple of months, he was going on holiday, and I said the only thing he had to do before he went was check his code in. He went, no code, and we never saw him again, not heard even a word.... except ...

I bumped into him on a train about 10 years later. He apologised, poor chap, and said everything had just caved in on him and he had to run away from it all - work, house, everything from what I could understand. You'd never have known at the time; he didn't give no outward sign of stress or depression. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I think he had probably thought for a while he was going to start fresh somewhere else, so let things pile up. But there was a member of staff warning he'd been doing it more or less since he started 3 years ago. I thought it was poor confidence, as his CV is academically very impressive, but recently it just started to look like someone who had no interest in what he was doing, and let it build up knowing he was just going to dump it on his co-workers. 

It just seemed the furthest thing away from what you expect from someone with that background, and a big rugby player (130kg, 6ft 4). 

At least if I decide to go I can't do worse, and it has crossed my mind as I'm pushing for a promotion, or at least the company car as the competitors are offering me these things. The system at work has a marker against old staff, which basically alerts future managers if that member of staff tries to come back. It tells them whether to re-hire or tell them to get stuffed. I think I know which box this chap has just ticked. 

Believe me. It doesn't matter one iota your size or choice of sport.

As those you know me well will testify, I'm 6ft 3, big lad, used to play rugby. (Would still turn out now for any vets given half the chance)

And I'm an absolute gob shite at times. Life and soul etc.

BUT I suffer from stress, anxiety and have PTSD.

Unless I had a full blown episode in front of you, you'd never guess.

The thing with mental health is people learn to mask. 

And masking id extremely dangerous because people are unaware they are suffering until its too late.

• Like 5

I'm with u there I tend to bottle things up. A lot going on atm which got too much last month. Took a step back and topping up on support via work and NHS. It's just being able to take time out from your problems and many problems can sometimes get overwhelming. Hope this gs are well with u presently Neil

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeHorton said:

I'm with u there I tend to bottle things up. A lot going on atm which got too much last month. Took a step back and topping up on support via work and NHS. It's just being able to take time out from your problems and many problems can sometimes get overwhelming. Hope this gs are well with u presently Neil

Everyone needs something.   I've had untold amounts of councilling over years.  Nowt to be ashamed of.

On a sports note.

Thursday.  I'm off for a little walk and coffee with the batley bulldogs foundation.  Loads of very big lads talking about their issues.  We as a sport now recognise the need to support each other and that we all suffer to differing degrees, irrespective of male macho rugby bollox.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NeilM said:

Believe me. It doesn't matter one iota your size or choice of sport.

As those you know me well will testify, I'm 6ft 3, big lad, used to play rugby. (Would still turn out now for any vets given half the chance)

And I'm an absolute gob shite at times. Life and soul etc.

BUT I suffer from stress, anxiety and have PTSD.

Unless I had a full blown episode in front of you, you'd never guess.

The thing with mental health is people learn to mask. 

And masking id extremely dangerous because people are unaware they are suffering until its too late.

It was the 0 confidence this chap had, which I found a mismatch with his background and favourite sport. I think I mentioned earlier he vanished, and the first thought was there was something mental health related going on, which had finally surfaced. My boss stepped up, who himself had dealt with serious problems in his life recently, and I think he feels very let down. I’m still looking at it like “maybe he really was just disinterested”, but it doesn’t weigh up well in my head.

Im probably the reverse of you, as I’m told I’m fairly reserved in person, with a very dry sense of humour. When I had a run in with mental illness, it flipped things, and someone remarked that it looked like I was almost cheerfully trying to burn my life to the ground. In the end I did time with a BUPA psychologist, and now volunteer with a mental health group local to me. Some stuff still irks me, and I used to wonder how do you know that you’re “better”? My brother had some good words, which were “sometimes you lose a piece of yourself, and it doesn’t come back… But that’s ok. That’s the bit you don’t hear about”. 

… Bit heavy for a Tuesday night this, isn’t it? :lol:

• Like 1

What a day this is quickly becoming...

9:30am - In the most positive way possible, dismantle the work done by an engineer who has a track record for copying, and pasting. A dangerous move in a job role where everything is bespoke.

11:30 - Currently on a meeting, listening to a poor mechanical engineer get torn to shreds as we've broken contract. I know it's sales and the engineer I gently tore down in the previous meeting, they mis-sold the job.

At least when they go into the contract (which I have nothing to contribute), it gives me time to come on here, eBay, Rightmove etc. As I'm not allowed to leave meetings early "just in case". 

Good morning.

I’m out on the bike today. I asked my good lady if she’d like to join me. She’d like to but hesitating as “there’s a lot to do on the house”.

“Yes, I know, but we always said that we need to avoid getting so tied up with the house renovation that we fail to live outside that bubble”.

About to start route planning… still no idea if she’s coming along. 🙄