Good Morning Good Night and General Chat.

S-Westerly

Good evening. Tonight we are mostly sitting in the middle room, nominally labelled as the dining room. We have the wood burner lit and, being an ancient device on which the controls are not effective, it is consuming wood at a horrific rate. Methinks we’ll have to replace it when we renovate this part of the house. ££££’s 🥲

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

Good evening. Tonight we are mostly sitting in the middle room, nominally labelled as the dining room. We have the wood burner lit and, being an ancient device on which the controls are not effective, it is consuming wood at a horrific rate. Methinks we’ll have to replace it when we renovate this part of the house. ££££’s 🥲

Is there a lot of work to do?

1 hour ago, Steve_M said:

As i travel all over the UK i have my trusty chainsaw with me at all times .... who pays for wood ....:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trooper74 said:

As i travel all over the UK i have my trusty chainsaw with me at all times .... who pays for wood ....:classic_biggrin:

We have about of an acre of woodland. We’re having another couple of trees taken down next week to dry for next year.  😁

3 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

We have about of an acre of woodland. We’re having another couple of trees taken down next week to dry for next year.  😁

That sounds like your paying someone to cut the trees down .... i’ll do it for free .....

5 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Dont know why but I find the idea of you always carrying a chainsaw disturbing 😆

Chainsaw, Bowie knife and Gimp mask .... don’t leave home without them ...:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Is there a lot of work to do?

Oh yes. It’s a 400+ yr old stone built farmhouse that has been treated badly (modern materials and old houses do not good bedfellows make) and neglected. We’re a year into a five year renovation project.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Errr. Are you qualified and insured? 🤔

No .. but i've been cutting trees down safely for 40 years ..... and 99% of those you employ are lying to you about their insurance ... check for the Irish accent ...lol 

I normally take 50% of the cord wood as payment and i clear the site ... 

48 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Oh yes. It’s a 400+ yr old stone built farmhouse that has been treated badly (modern materials and old houses do not good bedfellows make) and neglected. We’re a year into a five year renovation project.

Brrrrrr not something I’d want to take on- good luck 🤞 

35 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

No .. but i've been cutting trees down safely for 40 years ..... and 99% of those you employ are lying to you about their insurance ... check for the Irish accent ...lol 

I normally take 50% of the cord wood as payment and i clear the site ... 

The guys we use are local, and not Irish 😁

We suspect some of our drive was laid (topped up) about the same time as the Carlisle by-pass, in the same way as I was offered to have my drive in Brum done when they were working on the M6 toll. 😂

2 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

The guys we use are local, and not Irish 😁

We suspect some of our drive was laid (topped up) about the same time as the Carlisle by-pass, in the same way as I was offered to have my drive in Brum done when they were working on the M6 toll. 😂

My mam n dads drive was overlaid when the M62 was being done... 

Like most drives in brighouse🤣🤣

It helped that half of brighouse were of paddy decent

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Brrrrrr not something I’d want to take on- good luck 🤞 

The background to this is we decided we wanted to downsize house, and get a bigger garden as we quite enjoy gardening (I did a bit of paid gardening for pin money after I retired). We quite fancied a bit of a project to keep us busy in retirement. 

Two problems with that.
1) Downsizing house to get a bigger garden is unlikely. We couldn’t afford a house of the size that gave us the bigger garden. Actually, not strictly true but we had a cash flow problem at the time. 

2) My good lady saw this house, saw it’s potential and persuaded me it was a good idea (she’s done this before y’know).

So we’ve got this project keeping us occupied in retirement / lockdown. It’s working for us thus far. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Need my driveway redone it’s degraded tarmac covered in loose gravel and a complete swine to turn a bike on but the idea of the hassle completely puts me off. 

Much of our drive is in need of a a bit of TLC. I’ll just have to patch it in the short term. The area in front of the house is, we think, old river cobbles, overlaid with 20mm gravel with binding. Good for security, and not too bad for riding on. A bit of hassle for pushing the bike around, though.

6 minutes ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

Need my driveway redone it’s degraded tarmac covered in loose gravel and a complete swine to turn a bike on but the idea of the hassle completely puts me off. 

Get the loose gravel off and go find a gang of friendly road workers👍👍

• Like 1