SCRUMPING !!

Trooper74

Behind our house is a ribbon forest planted by the local council some 20 years ago .... there is a 5 metre gap between our fence and the forest edge in which we planted 2 apple trees, which over the years have produced the years apple sauce for the pork roasts ...

We leave the apples late to pick and yesterday was the day ...

Gone, stripped of all fruit ,,, not an apple on the ground or to be seen, so not kids .....

Curses .....

We're off to find one of the many hedgerow apple trees today to restore our apple sauce stocks from .... on the Himma of course ... any excuse :D

We had a lovely Greengage tree and an apple tree in the back garden, till the upstairs neighbour brutally pruned them beyond recovery :twisted:

Where we live it is a shared garden, she gets to maintain the rear and we do the front :cheers:

Edited by dynax

Haha, scrumping, a childhood memory that was more about the dare than eating an Apple.

Do kids do that sort of thing these days, only if there is an app I suppose.

I had a load of green tomatoes left over so decided to make some chutney with it, what a complete faff.

Stunk the house out with chopped onion and boiling vinegar.

Had to buy a load of jars to put it in.

The mix was simmering in the kitchen for about 7hrs until it reached the right consistency, all to make 7 small jars of it.

Does taste good though, gave a jar to my Dad and he's already finished it. :thumb:

The centre of Rotherham is the home to large quantities of our eastern European friends, refugees etc ... in an an area, sometimes referred to, as Eastwoodistan.

Not for them prepackaged fruit when it grows on trees.

I often see whole families stripping apple, pear, green gage and plum trees that grow along the canal ... they take the food away in sacks ....

Good for them ...

There were five or six cherry trees at the back of M&P Coventry consisting of several varieties including black cherries . For years it never occurred to me that they were edible until a bunch of Eastern European folk turned up one day with ladders and picked the lot .

There where a row of cherry trees along side our local Asda .... they where selling punnets of cherries for £2.99 as me and the kids where standing on the back of my truck picking fat juicy black cherries for free !!!

Although the next year they produced no fruit and haven't since ....

The centre of Rotherham is the home to large quantities of our eastern European friends, refugees etc ... in an an area, sometimes referred to, as Eastwoodistan.

Not for them prepackaged fruit when it grows on trees.

I often see whole families stripping apple, pear, green gage and plum trees that grow along the canal ... they take the food away in sacks ....

Good for them ...

lucky you dont keep geese or ducks.....

You get the same round here, people coming and picking mushrooms fruit etc.

Most of it seems to turn up in craft fairs genuine new forest... Blah blah. ££€€$$

Being parshall to slow gin, for years we have picked our own. Knowing a few places that where normally left unpicked.

This year before the fruit was ripe it was gone... I am guessing lock down expanded peoples local knowledge.

This year has been weird for fruit. The usual sloe bushes had nothing but ones that don't usually fruit did well. No crab apples at all. No blackberries anywhere.

Half our blackcurrants had nothing, the other half went mad.

No pears or figs.

Loads of apples, both eating and cooking.

The grapes were so laden I left most of them for the birds.