Advice needed please

Blackholesun

Hi every one. Quick back story is I did my CBT in Sept and rather hastily jumped in and bought a yamaha ybr nearly the next day!been riding since and today decided to take it to a yamaha dealer that's near me for a proper check to be sure I'm not riding a death trap.

Anyway have been told it's unsafe to ride and have booked it in for a recommended new cam chain which they hope may solve the rattle that I didn't notice!

So what id like to know from people with more experience than me is where should I buy a replacement if I need to..is it a dealer or AutoTrader as sadly atm I can't afford a brand new one and may have been stung on FB!

Cheers all

Ben

Edited by Blackholesun

Knowing little about those bikes I would say that a second opinion could be a good idea.

More than once I was told that I had a problem with the bike that someone else said to not worry about it.

How many miles do you have in it?

What else is wrong with it that makes it unsafe to ride?  Is it more cost effective to get this running rather than buying another?

If you are unsure of what to look for then it might be safest buying from a dealer rather than ebay/facebook etc. Dealers sell on autotrader so worth looking on there

A full rebuild at just 5k sounds a bit odd. Especially since you hadn't even noticed the rattle. Are you sure this dealer is being honest about the work needed? What else was diagnosed as making it unsafe? As said above, I think I'd be looking for a second opinion.

• Like 2

So why would you want another YBR ? Your experience of this bike hasn't been exactly positive . The first job I ever did on a bike was a Camchain replacement . You've got to start your journey to mechanical competence somewhere . Slap a Chinese Big Bore kit on it while you're at it . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184538367945

Edited by fastbob

33 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

A full rebuild at just 5k sounds a bit odd. Especially since you hadn't even noticed the rattle. Are you sure this dealer is being honest about the work needed? What else was diagnosed as making it unsafe? As said above, I think I'd be looking for a second opinion.

16062383634982899276554302138460.jpg

26 minutes ago, fastbob said:

So why would you want another YBR ? Your experience of this bike hasn't been exactly positive . The first job I ever did on a bike was a Camchain replacement . You've got to start your journey to mechanical competence somewhere . Slap a Chinese Big Bore kit on it while you're at it . 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184538367945

I wouldn't necessarily want this one just another 125

Not wishing to be pedantic but that is £140 odd for a new camchain.

Is that an endless camchain entailing engine out or are they using a soft link and feeding the new one through and just refreshing the top end?

I see no evidence of cylinder head and base gaskets, oil and other items associated with an engine strip.

I would be interested in someone like @fastbob`s thinking on this.

Cheers

Ian

At 5000 miles I’d be very surprised If there was any issues with the cam chain, even if there is it’s a small single cylinder engine, set aside a weekend, buY a Halfords toolkit and a Haynes manual, watch some YouTube and learn a valuable skill whilst getting the satisfaction of fixing your own stuff!

mot history starts at 2019, should go back to 2011 ?? is it an import ? has it any service history before 2019 if it hasn't be surprised if the mileage is correct

20 minutes ago, Six30 said:

mot history starts at 2019, should go back to 2011 ?? is it an import ? has it any service history before 2019 if it hasn't be surprised if the mileage is correct

The history will only go back as far to when the system went digital, it is possible it was off the road for a few years :thumb:

just checked mine and it does indeed go back to the first MOT which for me is 2005, so it should have some history going back further, as @Six30 it could be an import, but it is missing some info :thumb:

Edited by dynax

8 minutes ago, dynax said:

The history will only go back as far to when the system went digital, it is possible it was off the road for a few years :thumb:

just checked mine and it does indeed go back to the firts MOT which for me is 2005, so it should have some history going back further, as @Six30 it could be an import, but it is missing some info :thumb:

yeh it should go back to its first mot :thumb:

Just now, Blackholesun said:

Ok will go back...only took it to yamaha as they offered a so called winter check for a decent price so took it up but then spooked me...would it have passed mot in Sept with these issues ?

Probably as the engine does not need to work for it to pass, unless the lights need the engine running to work it would have been issued a daytime only MOT :thumb:

Just now, Blackholesun said:

Looking on the DVLA website the mot history only goes back as far 2019 so I'm guessing it was off road for ages  before then 

It could well have been off the road since the first MOT was due, so maybe used for 3 years then garaged or traded in and has been sat in a corner somewhere until recently.