Advice needed please

Blackholesun

1 hour ago, Ian Frog said:

Not wishing to be pedantic but that is £140 odd for a new camchain.

Is that an endless camchain entailing engine out or are they using a soft link and feeding the new one through and just refreshing the top end?

I see no evidence of cylinder head and base gaskets, oil and other items associated with an engine strip.

I would be interested in someone like @fastbob`s thinking on this.

Cheers

Ian

You missed my link . A genuine endless camchain is £17 What puzzles me is what exactly is wrong with the camchain ? It's hardly likely to be stretched or worn at 5000 miles . I'd probably stick a manual tensioner on it to see what happens . 

• Like 1

To all those chastising the OP for their lack of mechanical aptitude/ability WTF ? 

Not everyone wishes to undertake such a job or has the ability to either through lack of knowledge or workspace or tools or even all three.

With regards to the cost look at the Labour charge ...

That is basically an hours charge by a Main Dealer .

Parts may be expensive but they will be genuine Yamaha parts and come with a labour and parts guarantee .

Yes an independent may be cheaper per hour but i doubt there will be any independent that will give a time frame of 1 hr .

And if this is all the bike needs after x amount of years on storage then it is a bargain .

So to the OP i would go with what you know and face it buying something else you could be in the same boat .

Look at invoice it is the cam chain tensioner not cam chain ...

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackholesun said:

16062383634982899276554302138460.jpg

Ok . Here's a genuine tensioner for £18 . It's held on with two bolts that can be reused . It has a gasket that you can make from cardboard for nothing . Fit as follows . Undo the two bolts and take the old one off . Scrape away any old gasket OR if the gasket is intact just bung a bit of silicone sealant on it . Undo the single bolt on the end of the new one and carefully take out the rod and spring . Push the plunger all the way in and bolt the new tensioner onto the bike . Insert the rod and spring and you will hear a clicking sound . That's the ratchet taking up the slack . Keep the spring pushed in and screw the single bolt back in . This procedure must be followed exactly or you will overstress the camchain . https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-YBR-125-CAM-CHAIN-ADJUSTER-TENSIONER-UK-STOCK-/274097052578?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 1

Yes I'm not very savvy when it comes to mechanical stuff..my skills in life lay elsewhere!Anyway yes if this tensioner doesn't work or stop the rattle  according to them he said it'll need a complete engine rebuild..is this hyperbole on their part or a likely scenario?

36 minutes ago, Blackholesun said:

Yes I'm not very savvy when it comes to mechanical stuff..my skills in life lay elsewhere!Anyway yes if this tensioner doesn't work or stop the rattle  according to them he said it'll need a complete engine rebuild..is this hyperbole on their part or a likely scenario?

Well if a new tensioner dosen't work then the camchain itself will need replacing which is an extensive job that could easily be described as a complete engine rebuild. So , no , it is not hyperbole . 

Guest Swagman
1 hour ago, Blackholesun said:

Thanks I'm going to try to record a video of the engine running later and post it here if it works and see what you all think! 

I’m sure you have the capabilities to change the cam chain tensioner it isn’t a hard job at all.👍👍

To the OP , have you tried sitting on it with your helmet on ? What does it sound like then ? My point is , a lot of bikes sound horrible when you're not used to listening to them in a confined space without the filter of a helmet . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Blackholesun said:

Tbh I never thought much of the sound as it's my 1st bike I sort of just assumed as it's a small engine that's what it's meant to sound like! When I'm riding it it sounds fine to me !

Have you had the work done yet? 

31 minutes ago, Blackholesun said:

Tbh I never thought much of the sound as it's my 1st bike I sort of just assumed as it's a small engine that's what it's meant to sound like! When I'm riding it it sounds fine to me !

So what's this thread all about then ? 

6 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Anyone else thinking tappets need adjusting? :scratch:

Tappet clearance is the first thing to check. It costs nothing.

It difficult to tell with a video recording, but I think I can hear an exhaust blow as well.

To test for blowing exhaust, with cold engine running, rag over exhaust end to buld up backpressure feel around exhaust for leaks.

• Like 1