Decisions. Proper bike cover vs decorator’s dust sheet

I keep my bike indoors in a building I also use as a workshop while we’re renovating our house. The building is used for a variety of projects, most of which cause a fair amount of dust in variety. Birds also fly through it and occasionally leave deposits 🤔. The bike needs a cover of some sort. Any cover I use does not need to be waterproof as it will never be stored outside, nor does it need to be secured particularly well. Is there any good reason* not to go with throwing a cheap polythene decorator’s dust sheet such as sold at screwfix for £2.99?

* yes, other than keep it away from hot components. 

It's inside .... why does it need a cover ..... My bike lives outside all year round in a great £40 Oxford fleece lined cover ... ok i bought it second hand off ebay ... I have a battery heater i use on the coldest of days to help with starting and a policy of riding at least 10 miles before effecting a re-start ...  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Trooper74

I would go with a moderate heavy pure cotton sheet.

An old duvet cover?

What your describing is dust sheet and waterproof covers do not allow ventilation.

Another option is an old cotton blanket. 

I would go with one that takes your fancy off here

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/124/#/27907,3203,1186 

Only because in doing so will give the forum some commission and you helping the forum stay afloat :lol: 

Honestly though! indoors just to keep the dust off then get a dust sheet over it 

2 hours ago, onesea said:

I would go with a moderate heavy pure cotton sheet.

An old duvet cover?

What your describing is dust sheet and waterproof covers do not allow ventilation.

Another option is an old cotton blanket. 

There y’go. The answer I wouldn’t have thought of. Breathability. Which is daft ‘cos I’m renovating a 400+ yr old stone farmhouse and the first thing we did was to ensure the walls can breath. D’oh.

I’ll see if we have an old duvet cover (as in, ask my good lady).

cheers.

2 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

It's inside .... why does it need a cover ..... My bike lives outside all year round in a great £40 Oxford fleece lined cover ... ok i bought it second hand off ebay ... I have a battery heater i use on the coldest of days to help with starting and a policy of riding at least 10 miles before effecting a re-start ...  :classic_biggrin:

I want to keep the crap (literal and metaphorical) off it. It’s amazing how much dust is created by a mitre saw, circular saw, or angle grinder (the messiest tools, though the drill and jigsaw add to it). Then there’s the fact that the building is a 400 yr old barn which has accumulated 400 yrs of detritus in its roof space much of which seems to land on the bike. Then there are the birds that fly through the barn, and sit above the bike and defecate on it...

99B5BDF4-85F7-49C4-9DC7-9759FC858265.jpeg

10 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

That’s alright then, you don’t want it catching a chill 😆

I built some storage for my luggage from some offcuts of wood I had. A mate reckons I need to lift the lowest one because, “She’ll get a cold damp butt”. 😂

725673A9-5185-4607-A0EB-FD8FEF23B34E.jpeg