Capital Punishment

MarkW

On 30/12/2020 at 18:58, XTreme said:

The Guildford Four.......the judge went out of his way to say he'd have imposed the death sentence on them if he'd had the power to do so.

And we know how safe that conviction was!

To be right mate.

You only needed an accent north of dublin and you were buggered.

Was is the Birmingham 6 who were convicted on residue picked up from playing cards

• Like 1

Miscarriages of justice are even more likely if the police are under massive political pressure to solve a crime. Twisting the facts to fit and being selective with your evidence presented  in court is always going to be difficult to deal with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slowlycatchymonkey said:

How many hours til 2021? Cos for sheer tenacity never mind the intellectual weight Mark W has already earned a nomination for MOTY!

I cleave to the belief that if you explain something clearly enough and in simple enough terms, even the dullest intellect is capable of understanding it. But I'm big enough to admit that I was wrong. Mind you, it hasn't been a completely wasted exercise: if I ever decide to build an idiot I'll know where to find a plentiful supply of brains...

Happy New Year, you hopeless bunch of retarded Gammons!  🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarkW said:

I cleave to the belief that if you explain something clearly enough and in simple enough terms, even the dullest intellect is capable of understanding it. But I'm big enough to admit that I was wrong. Mind you, it hasn't been a completely wasted exercise: if I ever decide to build an idiot I'll know where to find a plentiful supply of brains...

Happy New Year, you hopeless bunch of retarded Gammons!  🥳

Sure that was your summation of those who voted leave, pretty apt. 

Happy new year 👍 

8 hours ago, Bender said:

Sure that was your summation of those who voted leave, pretty apt. 

Happy new year 👍 

Indeed. Trying to get people who are not used to it to think logically is like toilet-training a toddler: You set everything out very carefully, line the important bits up for them so you don't think they can possibly miss, then stand back expectantly, thinking that they're bound to get it this time. And after they've sprayed the place with piss yet again they stand there proudly because they think they've done well. But you take a deep breath and try again next time with no less enthusiasm, because you recognise that being able to use the toilet is a basic life skill. And just like logical thinking, some people get it and some people never do - something to ponder next time you have to paddle through piss in a public lavatory.

😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bender said:

Luckily I go cottaging in public lavatories, say high to everyone next time you visit.

🤣🤣

The trouble with logic is that it's not necessarily empirical. Sometimes what appears absolutely logical to one person is completely illogical to another. This is especially true when you are talking about moral values, ethics, and unquantifiable issues where emotions are involved. For me newtonian physics are logical but any kind of quantum theory just blows my mind. It requires faith ffs! 

1 minute ago, James in Brum said:

@S-Westerly once the logic is influenced by emotion it is not logic. It is emotion and thinking. In this case on the one side of the argument there has been empirical data on the other emotion. 

If you are referring to capital punishment then I'd agree; if you are referring to Brexit I'd have to differ.