Question for medical/ambulance folk

Bender

Seen some odd things on the roads and come across accidents a fair bit, 4 car crash on opposite carriageway this morning.

This evening heading towards a big roundabout an ambulance blue lights going, comes off heading towards me on opposite side, there is a hospital about 500yards from this roundabout so thats not unusual 

Ambulance driving was odd straight off, cut corner, run wide, cut back into left lane (dual carriageway)  goes onto verg, slams brakes on, goes full right and blokes both lanes of carriageway, there is nothing on the road in front of him, as I pass driver is jumping out of drivers door.

I looked in mirror as I went off fully expecting an explosion or gunfire.

The only thing I could think of was they needed to stop and it was deemed safer to stop and block both lanes rather than risk blocking  one lane so close to a bend and a roundabout, Surly the driver would have access to the rear of the ambulance without having to jump out 

?

• Confused 1

I do not know if it pertains to this situation but when a passenger arrests or gets very much worse I understand they have to stop the vehicle to attend to it. 
also sometimes people might be transported whom do not behave well for a variety of reasons. 

Most new ambulances have a bulkhead between the cab and the rear of the vehicle so the driver has to get out and enter the back though the side or rear doors.  Can’t comment on his vehicle manoeuvres  though,  ambulance vehicles do on occasion follow odd lines in the road to make things smoother for the attendant and passenger, especially when on blues,  they do sometimes stop at an angle, called a fend off position, makes the vehicle easier to see, usually done though to protect a road accident scene, casualty in the road or crew working in the carriageway.  Crap vehicles to drive, basically a 4.8 tonne square box on a standard van chassis.

Mechanical failure? 

As I understand drivers with patients in back priorities smoothness over speed..

Slaming on and swerving doesn't sound smooth.

Urgent getting into back could be to check on crew mate.

13 hours ago, skyrider said:

was the driver in uniform ?

Not sure I just caught him jumping out as I went past, but looked like he was, I was approaching roundabout with traffic so couldn't realy take eyes off road, it was a yellow ambulance not patient transfer

Probably the same type of idiot that puts the emergency lights on when approaching traffic and then turn them off just before stopping at the takeaway...

2 hours ago, husoi said:

Probably the same type of idiot that puts the emergency lights on when approaching traffic and then turn them off just before stopping at the takeaway...

Funny you should say that, I was overtaken by a police interceptor not a little panda car, flew past put lights off, Turned into greggs, right where I was heading, job cancelled I asked, he didn't even reply, just did his best Paddington hard stare.

Collected his bag of he went, coincidentally putting the lights back on and heading back the way he came.

I'm not bitter.

• Like 1

Just now, Bender said:

Funny you should say that, I was overtaken by a police interceptor not a little panda car, flew past put lights off, Turned into greggs, right where I was heading, job cancelled I asked, he didn't even reply, just did hos best Paddington hard stare.

Collected his bag of he went, coincidentally putting the lights back on and heading back the way he came.

I'm not bitter.

I don't see it a a reason to be bitter. Just wonder how wisely are my taxes being spent...

Not that I have nothing against offering a free ride to a coper to get a treat.

Even if they (by they I mean Police Scotland) left me £1200 out of pocket by not prosecuting a criminal that vandalised my old avensis even if they knew who the b@astard was and had footage of the crime. "not a high priority..."

Just now, husoi said:

I don't see it a a reason to be bitter. Just wonder how wisely are my taxes being spent...

Not that I have nothing against offering a free ride to a coper to get a treat.

Even if they (by they I mean Police Scotland) left me £1200 out of pocket by not prosecuting a criminal that vandalised my old avensis even if they knew who the b@astard was and had footage of the crime. "not a high priority..."

It is what it is, good and bad in all,

I always offer to pay for any emergency workers coffee if they are in front or behind, I didn't offer to buy his as he didn't have enough pleasantness in him to speak.

I mostly find if it's a police the immediate response is what you done.

Guest Swagman
14 minutes ago, Bender said:

Funny you should say that, I was overtaken by a police interceptor not a little panda car, flew past put lights off, Turned into greggs, right where I was heading, job cancelled I asked, he didn't even reply, just did his best Paddington hard stare.

I'm not bitter.

That’s strange I was talking to one of the high speed pursuit crews a few years back, they showed me round all the gadgetry they had built in the car, I ask the question about the two tones and they said if they use the blues and twos they have to report as to why they have used it so couldn’t use it without good reason.

Just remembered one reason to be bitter...

Lewis Hamilton got a knighthood for driving stupidly fast. I do the same and get points I can't use in the supermarket and get a penalty. 😠😠

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Swagman said:

That’s strange I was talking to one of the high speed pursuit crews a few years back, they showed me round all the gadgetry they had built in the car, I ask the question about the two tones and they said if they use the blues and twos they have to report as to why they have used it so couldn’t use it without good reason.

So many things copers should report on and always "forget" to do it...

Guest Swagman
1 minute ago, husoi said:

Just remembered one reason to be bitter...

Lewis Hamilton got a knighthood for driving stupidly fast. I do the same and get points I can't use in the supermarket and get a penalty. 😠😠

Make sure you score with the penalty.🤣

37 minutes ago, Swagman said:

I'm sure he had a perfectly good reason to use it and it was all coincidental, I'm also sure that an accident in that scenario would be taken very badly.

One of our local lovely police  who was in the police interceptor TV prog was caught on camera driving into station on her mobile, they ain't supposed to do that either 😂