Heart rate monitor.

Bender

During our journey through covid the wife was concerned about her breathing it certainly affected her more than me and she often felt breathing very restrictive.

So she purchased an oximeter which does pulse and oxygen saturation, this was advice from a friend who does the 111 scripted line.

She's been hovering between 91 to 95 but not getting any worse with pulse resting about 75.

So obviously I had to try it now it showed up something I wasn't expecting, oxygen level 95 to 99 all good, pulse resting 29 try other hand and another finger 30bpm.

I'm either an elite athlete or I have a serious problem 😁 

It's only been that low once rest of the time it's been between 55-70

• Like 2

That is seriously low!! :classic_biggrin:   Mine is around 62 according to my Fitbit which I am fairly happy with seeing as i'm approx 3 stone overweight currently!!

A friend at work had a lot of medical issues including tachycardia. She said her resting rate was 122 :shock:

1 minute ago, Tiggie said:

That is seriously low!! :classic_biggrin:   Mine is around 62 according to my Fitbit which I am fairly happy with seeing as i'm approx 3 stone overweight currently!!

A friend at work had a lot of medical issues including tachycardia. She said her resting rate was 122 :shock:

I think high is worse, I have been in hospital once with a minor heart issue but that was put down to stress related to the crap in the kids access thread it actually put me in a&e

I've never been one for fit bit type things but I'm wondering if I should look into something that logs it.

• Like 1

I bought one to join in with my Wife on her walks. She has slowed up a bit now but a couple of years ago she was walking mad! lost over 4 stone in a year just from walking. Would set off an hour early in the morning and do a quick 4 miles on the canal before work!!  

She got to the point of if it was less than 7/8 miles it didn't feel like a real walk to her, I couldn't keep up!! :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bender said:

It's only been that low once rest of the time it's been between 55-70

Pulse of 30 needs investigation.

Where you light headed? feeling weak? short of breath? confused? finding exercise difficult?

Then if it happens again get yourself checked out.

How ever if it was only the once. Are you sure it was not the Sats probe playing up?

You can always compare it with a manual pulse IE feel for radial.

Where your fingers cold at the time? switching between fingers to find best reading.

Nail varnish also plays havoc, so rotating device so it's not showing through nail works.

• Like 1

I’ve got a heart monitor implanted in my chest which i can switch on and off with a remote on my car key bunch ... I love to switch it on at the top of monster hill climbs i do on my bicycle and alternate it with relaxing and reducing my heart rate to it’s possible slowest without me falling to sleep .. 

The cardiac dept keep telling me off for using it as a toy .... :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 3

It is possible the reader was having a wobbly but I don't think so, it was on correctly and swapping it to another finger only upped it by 1, it went to 70odd the instant it went on the wife's finger, and by the time we put it back on me I was upto 45.

I've spent a night on an ecg before all that got me was a follow-up with a doctor to see if I was still alive 😁 

• Haha 1

those fingertip devices are as accurate as a lightning. 🙄

have you tried an app on the phone?

they use the camera to take readings and can be surprisingly accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, husoi said:

those fingertip devices are as accurate as a lightning. 🙄

have you tried an app on the phone?

they use the camera to take readings and can be surprisingly accurate.

The best way to take a pulse is manually by feeling it,  count over 15 seconds and x 4.

• Like 2

I use the Android app Heart rate monitor. few adverts and does what it says in the tin.

keeps records of your previous rates if you're interested in keep track of it.

95 - 99% O2 Sats is considered normal for a healthy adult, 100% is normally only achieved by hyperventilation or in an operating theatre scenario where you're being manually hyper oxygenated prior to intubation.  Normal is slightly different for people  with respiratory problems such as COPD.  Normal resting heart rate for a healthy adult is between 60 - 80bpm.  A resting heart rate of 29bpm isn't considered normal, unless you're one of these deep free divers, it would even be considered very low for a super fit athlete.  Try taking it manually, much more reliable, if it's still reading that manually I would suggest seeing your GP, doesn't hurt to get it checked. Slow heart rate isn't always due to a heart problem, it can be linked to other diseases so worth getting checked, there are usually other symptoms though, malaise, weakness, feeling faint or dizzy to mention some of the more common ones.  It could just be as basic as a dodgy pulse oximeter, the cheaper ones on the market aren't as good as the hospital ones,  I've seen some huge variations between hospital monitors and personal ones over the years,  other abnormal variations can be due to cold hands, poor circulation, nail varnish 🤔, or anything that interferes with the light transmission from the probe.  Hope it's all ok mucker, take it easy 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender said:

Let's get one thing straight, I don't wear nail varnish, I may have on the odd occasion let the granddaughter decorate me with makeup and nail varnish but it's not something I do to myself 😁 

Yeah yeah - we believe you. Coilette.

• Haha 1