Garage heating!

Stu

24 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I tried that when I was restoring cars. Convected heat doesn't work in a garage because there's no insulation and doors usually leak air. Those cheap halogens work better because it's radiated heat. They don't warm the air, the light just heats up surfaces. So with a decent pair of overalls it can get quite toasty even though the air temperature remains cold.

It only works if you dress properly and turn the heater on. Last night I was doing a five minute job that turned into an hour's job, but I hadn't togged up or switched the heater on. Took me all evening to warm up again.

I wouldn't mind IR heaters but I've already got what I've got! I've keep a dehumidifier going in there to stop my equipment going rusty which takes the edge off a bit.

The major problem with getting cold in the garage is not so much being cold, it's old man drippy nose.

When I'm working on the Triumph I just have a small , cheap Fan Heater going . When I'm not in the lockup the heat from the flat above keeps the temperature above freezing , which is most welcome . I wish the same could be said for the resident's appalling music and frenzied stomping around . 

Edited by fastbob

5 minutes ago, fastbob said:

When I'm working on the Triumph I just have a small , cheap Fan Heater going . When I'm not in the lockup the heat from the flat above keeps the temperature above freezing , which is most welcome . I wish the same could be said for the resident's appalling music and frenzied stomping around . 

Upstairs flat starter pack :thumb: 

jgbk9keomny31.jpg

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TimR said:

What Also makes s difference is use one of these ...

Perfect for your stove Stu but work well on oil filled rad and on storage heaters ..really distribute the heat 

41KDbGPITFL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Yes I have one of those and they do help a little 

But I knocked mine off and bent it so it now wobbles a bit :lol: 

Our garage shares the same roof space as the house, has a double glazed window and the bottom of the garage door has a sealing strip (mainly to stop water ingress and mice) so the coldest it’s ever been out there even when sub zero outside is 13.5 degrees but l’d still like a stove.
Just the petrol fumes from the bikes and the lack of ventilation makes me wary. 

6 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I tried that when I was restoring cars. Convected heat doesn't work in a garage because there's no insulation and doors usually leak air. Those cheap halogens work better because it's radiated heat. They don't warm the air, the light just heats up surfaces. So with a decent pair of overalls it can get quite toasty even though the air temperature remains cold.

It only works if you dress properly and turn the heater on. Last night I was doing a five minute job that turned into an hour's job, but I hadn't togged up or switched the heater on. Took me all evening to warm up again.

I must look into that option for next winter. Thanks. 👍