Garage heating!

Stu

How you you guys heat your garage? 

I used to have a space heater but it was too big and too loud and it also ran off propane which creates a lot of condensation whilst running. 

I went to a mates house a few years ago where he had a few log burners that he was rebuilding so dropped a hint that one would be great in my garage he said make him an offer! 

£40 later I had a log burner :lol: 

I must say its the best £40 I have spent for keeping warm in the garage I get it going with a load of wood then put smokeless coal in it if i am staying in there a while and get around 3-6 hours depending on how much I put in! 

I sold the space heater which more than covered the cost of the log burner 

As you can see it gets a bit warm :lol: 

IMG_20200504_122738.jpg

16121128916147218067278711908159.jpg

• Like 4

At moment if im in there its either oil filled radiator or depending on the task at hand i will have two 150w halogen lights either side of garage illuminated ..

If im not in there then as we are on economy 7 the oil filled radiator is on a timer to coincide with that to reduce damp in garage and the wife's ninja has a wardrobe heater under it on permanently ..( my bike is Hard and no need for this luxury ( plus its shaft drive hehe) 

We did think of moving last year and i was contemplating a ' night heater' for the new garage but we didn't move .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

Bet that jacks nice and warm lol.

I wouldn't know as that jack is now at my mates house after I got a new one :lol: 

I took that photo in summer when I don't use it :D 

2 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

I've got 2 oil filled rads and a fan heater. It takes them all to get any sort of heat in there!

Haven't you got a double garage though? 

11 minutes ago, Bender said:

To be honest once in and doing something I've never really found heat a necessity, it's usually enough to be under cover and out of the elements 

I must just be a massive fanny :lol: 

• Haha 1

I use 1 t-shirt, a thick shirt and a winter jacket.

Depending on what I'm working on I some times start getting hot and need to take the jacket off.

I got a pair of thermal gloves, that helps a lot together with thermal socks.

If your hands and feet are warm then you won't feel the cold as much.

Heating? Not a chance of heating place. It’s an old, two story, stone barn with a vaulted roof space. It’s bloody cold in that place.

Luckily I don’t have time to work on the bike (though I do quite a lot of stuff to do with renovating the house in there). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Heating? Not a chance of heating place. It’s an old, two story, stone barn with a vaulted roof space. It’s bloody cold in that place.

Luckily I don’t have time to work on the bike (though I do quite a lot of stuff to do with renovating the house in there). 

Yeah that would take some heating would that place :lol: 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Haven't you got a double garage though? 

Yeah true.

Layers and gloves help - I dug out an old lab coat the other day which works as well as overalls and is less of a pain to get on and off.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Fro said:

Yeah true.

Layers and gloves help - I dug out an old lab coat the other day which works as well as overalls and is less of a pain to get on and off.

Mine is a garage and a half!! 

I have a side extension on the garage thats half the size of the garage the log burner keeps the main garage nice and warm and takes the chill off the other side 

Probably need a fan to circulate the air 

3 minutes ago, rennie said:

I just don't go in the garage! If we can ever afford to get it finished we'll have to look at some form of heating:classic_blink:

Still not sorted? 

Still having trouble with building control or whatever it was? 

Builders did a runner with our money after taking pitched roof off!

Had no more money left till now to get different builders to fit flat roof.

It's closer to a swimming pool than a garage/craft room!

It's cost about £30K so far and is completely useless!

Apart from winding me up! It's very good at that:beer2:

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, rennie said:

Builders did a runner with our money after taking pitched roof off!

Had no more money left till now to get different builders to fit flat roof.

It's closer to a swimming pool than a garage/craft room!

It's cost about £30K so far and is completely useless!

Apart from winding me up! It's very good at that:beer2:

Shit! not good I didn't realise that they had done a runner with your money! 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mr Fro said:

I've got 2 oil filled rads and a fan heater. It takes them all to get any sort of heat in there!

I tried that when I was restoring cars. Convected heat doesn't work in a garage because there's no insulation and doors usually leak air. Those cheap halogens work better because it's radiated heat. They don't warm the air, the light just heats up surfaces. So with a decent pair of overalls it can get quite toasty even though the air temperature remains cold.

It only works if you dress properly and turn the heater on. Last night I was doing a five minute job that turned into an hour's job, but I hadn't togged up or switched the heater on. Took me all evening to warm up again.