Ordering parts from abroad

Harris

Bit of a mixed post here really.  I'm quite keen on finding myself a carbon fiber belly pan or set of belly panels for my TL1000R to replace the standard bottom panels.

The only ones I can find are sold in the good old U, S and A. 

First question is do we have to pay duty on stuff from America and if so is it a lot?  I have visions of ending up paying double the original cost by the time I've been charged duty etc. 

Second part of the post..... if anyone knows anywhere else that does carbon parts for TLR's, more specifically the belly panels could you let me know please 😀

These guys work on glassfibre and carbon.

There are other companies that will do it for you, I don't think they will have the mould so that will be more expensive.

Alternative is the DIY process. Carbon fibre isn't that hard to work with. I've considered making the whole fairings for my Pan in CF but then I decided that is too expensive because of the fittings on the inside.

But still possible to be done if you don't look at the cost

East Coast Fibreglass Supplies

Edited by husoi
  • Like 1

If you can get them to lower the value for customs declaration or put it down as a test sample you may be able to lower your tax liability.

I've had loads in the past and had various amounts added but usually even at full whack it was still cheaper.

Just try to avoid any delivery that is finalised by royal fail, they misplaced some custom Brembo brake brackets, they refused to say lost, so couldn’t claim, had to re order, the originals turned up almost 1year to the day with a sorry for the delay sticker.

I ordered an engine rebuild kit from Texas, took less than 2days from order to doorstep , ups tracked at every point.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bender said:

Just try to avoid any delivery that is finalised by royal fail, they misplaced some custom Brymbo brake brackets, they refused to say lost, so couldn’t claim, had to re order, the originals turned up almost 1year to the day with a sorry for the delay sticker.

Ooh now that would be annoying!! I've had stuff go missing with royal mail a few times now but its usually arrived a few months later or been replaced and arrived ok.  A year though is taking the mick a bit! 😳

Might be a good point you've raised there with changing the value! I'll have to look into it.

1 hour ago, Harris said:

Bit of a mixed post here really.  I'm quite keen on finding myself a carbon fiber belly pan or set of belly panels for my TL1000R to replace the standard bottom panels.

The only ones I can find are sold in the good old U, S and A. 

First question is do we have to pay duty on stuff from America and if so is it a lot?  I have visions of ending up paying double the original cost by the time I've been charged duty etc. 

An example.

buy parts that cost $575 including shipping and insurance. Total additional costs will be £97.  Which is VAT plus duty. According to an online calculator.

no reputable company will consider reducing the value to escape or fiddle these costs as it’s against US federal law, with stiff penalties. Only way to get round that is for someone to buy the parts on your behalf in the US and then send them to you, with a false declaration.

• Like 1

I've had three lots of stuff sent from the States this month. Value around £150, £60 and £10. Didn't get charged anything extra on any of them. Delivery was 5 days.

At the same time I ordered some parts from Germany. Ordered first week of January, still no sign of them. Something to do with an oven ready deal I believe.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've had three lots of stuff sent from the States this month. Value around £150, £60 and £10. Didn't get charged anything extra on any of them. Delivery was 5 days.

There is a £135 threshold.  £15 over and yes, it’s a case of bad luck if you get a bill.

27 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

An example.

buy parts that cost $575 including shipping and insurance. Total additional costs will be £97.  Which is VAT plus duty. According to an online calculator.

no reputable company will consider reducing the value to escape or fiddle these costs as it’s against US federal law, with stiff penalties. Only way to get round that is for someone to buy the parts on your behalf in the US and then send them to you, with a false declaration.

Pretty much every after market parts company I have dealt with in the US could care less about correct valuation, you have to take into account the possibility of paying everything due and returns obviously are going to be a pain.

I saved over £600 ordering  parts from courtesy Nissan all fully paid and genuine parts.

Apart from the brake adapters which were custom made and delayed by royal mail everything else turned up correct and did what it was supposed to.

Bought lots of stuff for the boat and bike from the US. In all cases for cheaper than in the UK even after paying import duties on some items. Also the dollar / pound exchange rate has an effect obviously. 

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Are yo looking at the shark products? 

Those are the only ones I seem to remember for the TLR 

This is what I'm looking at, its the only place I seem to be able to find a carbon one that looks to be a direct fit

Edited by Harris

5 hours ago, Gerontious said:

An example.

Looking online and doing a quick online calculator it says the charges will be around £44 for a £177 part.  Does this sound about right would you say?  It worked out about 4.79 duty and 38 ish tax

1 minute ago, Harris said:

Looking online and doing a quick online calculator it says the charges will be around £44 for a £177 part.  Does this sound about right would you say?  It worked out about 4.79 duty and 38 ish tax

VAT is always the biggest charge. Duty isn't much by comparison.

• Like 1

The Royal Mail charge you extra for the service they provide you in charging you the tax. I can't remember how much £8? £10?? It makes a difference on smaller items.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bonio said:

The Royal Mail charge you extra for the service they provide you in charging you the tax. I can't remember how much £8? £10?? It makes a difference on smaller items.

£8 less than a year ago for me! 

• Like 1