Mechanical mishaps and other oops moments

Bender

My wife once dropped me off at Teesside airport when we had the Alfa Romeo. On the way home the gear stick came off in her hands. According to the kids in the car she was ice cold and coped well. Given she was just accelerating onto the A1 and in 2nd gear at the time she didn't do too badly. Pre- mobile phones and a Sunday to boot. When I got home 6 months later she was quite terse about it. We also had a Saab instead.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

She was pretty calm but I think it was certainly an incident she isn't going to forget. Still mutters about it darkly on occasion.

I needed something dropping off fairly sharpish few yr back, I was 20mile from home, I rang the wife and told her to use my car as it would be quicker, but not to worry I had set boost controller to just about nothing.

She turned up and remarked that it was rather scary for being set at nothing, said she had made some prat in a BMW look silly, Hmmm I had left it at 1bar, I sent her home with it set correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

this was about 20 years ago, i had problem with zzr600 it was only running on 3 cylinders i wanted to check the plugs before taken it to the bikeshop,  so i ask a mate to come give me hand.

i told him i had to take the petrol tank off to get to the plugs, so i taken the screws out and lifted up tank, i ask my mate to hold the tank so i could put clamp on the fuel line, before i had a chance to put clamp on he walk off with the tank! fuel pissing out all over the bike the road my mate pants was cover in fuel he put the tank on the hedge still pissing fuel out everywhere i shouted i not f**king clamp it yet!! with that i jump up grab the tank and turn it upside down to stop the fuel, i turn to my mate to call him a f**king prick and he had fag in mouth trying to light the f**king thing! i blow my top at seeing him lighting a fag! f**king petrol everywhere he smoking a bloody fag! i after that i never ask him to help me again. 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, cyberwolf said:

this was about 20 years ago, i had problem with zzr600 it was only running on 3 cylinders i wanted to check the plugs before taken it to the bikeshop,  so i ask a mate to come give me hand.

i told him i had to take the petrol tank off to get to the plugs, so i taken the screws out and lifted up tank, i ask my mate to hold the tank so i could put clamp on the fuel line, before i had a chance to put clamp on he walk off with the tank! fuel pissing out all over the bike the road my mate pants was cover in fuel he put the tank on the hedge still pissing fuel out everywhere i shouted i not f**king clamp it yet!! with that i jump up grab the tank and turn it upside down to stop the fuel, i turn to my mate to call him a f**king prick and he had fag in mouth trying to light the f**king thing! i blow my top at seeing him lighting a fag! f**king petrol everywhere he smoking a bloody fag! i after that i never ask him to help me again. 

Friends like that best kept at a distance 😁 

• Haha 2

I used to work in a backstreet garage and we had a lad who ran a tatty old Norton Commando. The fuel tank sprang a leak so we advised him to drain it, let it dry, pour some epoxy resin into it, swill it round, drain the excess and let it set.

It cured the leak wonderfully. The only snag was he couldn't get it started. We left him for a couple of days before suggesting he might need to drill out where the fuel valve went. 

• Haha 3

Had a phone call once from a coworker on my night off. Boss was away on holiday.

"Do you know anything about plumbing?, A pipe has burst in the prep room."

I said I'd come straight down. When I got there he hadn't even turned the water off 😯

Thankfully the prep room is a cellar with a drain in the middle of the floor so we didn't have a flood. It was a hot water pipe that burst though so it had become a steam room by time I got there 😁

Anyway what makes this kind of relevant to the thread is that he had tried to fix the leak...........by using sellotape 🤣

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Had a phone call once from a coworker on my night off. Boss was away on holiday.

"Do you know anything about plumbing?, A pipe has burst in the prep room."

I said I'd come straight down. When I got there he hadn't even turned the water off 😯

Thankfully the prep room is a cellar with a drain in the middle of the floor so we didn't have a flood. It was a hot water pipe that burst though so it had become a steam room by time I got there 😁

Anyway what makes this kind of relevant to the thread is that he had tried to fix the leak...........by using sellotape 🤣

What an idiot! 

As every cowboy plumber knows,  you should use 'masking' tape

• Haha 1

Hate denso tape with a vengeance. Had a few ships where wires had been wrapped in it. Unfortunately did a good job of sealing saltwater in with the result the wires failed, in once case catastrophically which could have caused a death but by pure good fortune didn't.