Carbed vs Fuel injection

James Vincero

I've only ever ridden bikes with carburettors, never ridden a fuel injected bike, mostly because they were too expensive. 

I've had issue in the past with bikes that crank up the revs in neutral and stalled in 1st gear under 5000 RPM, due to the settings on the carb.

Is this a non-issue on a fuel injected bike?

What are the major benefits of fuel injection?

I understand the theory behind them, just never experienced the benefits.

Fuel injection (FI) is less mechanical than carbs. It is electronically controlled and with less moving parts easier to maintain.

It provides a better fuel efficiency and while carbs need to be cleaned and diaphragms will require replaced at intervals while FI only requires replacing the injectors at longer intervals.

My first FI bike was a VFR800 and after riding near 100k miles I never had to touch the fuel system.

Because FI is controlled electronically and the fuel is injected directly to the pistons instead of relying on gravity the engine works smoothly at all revs.

True makes the bike more expensive however more cost efficient on the long run.

• Like 1

I have both. FI has some benefits such as  easier starting in cold weather, less maintenance, better fuel economy more consistent engine performance.

The downsides are if it goes wrong you need diagnostic equipment, but then carbs can be tricky to set up right so on balance I prefer FI to work on.

Some FI systems run very lean at low rpm for emissions regulations. This can make them a bit snatchy in lower gears, but there's usually ways to fix that using aftermarket bolt ons.

• Like 1

I’ve been riding fi bikes since 1997. Never had to so much as think about that side of the bike. I did look after it from the fuel side though, every now and then filling with premium fuel that had a load of detergents as part of the additives pack. Aside from that - nothing.

only possible downside is that the bikes battery needs to be in good condition as it takes power to prime the fuel pump and squirt fuel into the engine.

Edited by Gerontious

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Some FI systems run very lean at low rpm for emissions regulations. This can make them a bit snatchy in lower gears, but there's usually ways to fix that using aftermarket bolt ons.

My 1998 VFR used to be a bit snatchy at low revs which I put down to it running lean. It wasn’t a problem once I’d adjusted to it. My other bikes since then have all been fine. Or maybe the adjustment I made to my riding means I just don’t notice. 

I presently have both:

Carbs: when working well, smoother and less snatchy.  Lovely to ride.

FI: Snatchy, particularly at low revs.

Always works well no manual coke no problems with cold start.

I would say FI is best all round but carbs working well are better 😁

Edited by onesea

I guess my question wasn't very specific.

The key things I was asking about were the issues above.

Does is stall when you get below 5000 revs or over heat if not correctly set?

If this is the case and these problems are not present in EFI then sign me up lol.

Also is their a top 10 Fuel Injected bikes video or blog post or something?

I haven't found any. Most of the research I've seen suggest it's just dirt bikes.

I don't mind paying more. I'm very happy to pay more not to have these issues.

17 minutes ago, James Vincero said:

If this is the case and these problems are not present in EFI then sign me up lol.

I haven't found any. Most of the research I've seen suggest it's just dirt bikes.

So the question is basically can a fuel injected bike stall or over heat if there's a problem?

1 hour ago, James Vincero said:

I've never had a stalling problem with FI. Nor overheating. There's not a lot to set up really. I agree with using good branded fuel with good quality additives to keep the system clean.

• Like 1

On 06/03/2021 at 21:52, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I've never had a stalling problem with FI. Nor overheating. There's not a lot to set up really. I agree with using good branded fuel with good quality additives to keep the system clean.

Yes, this is what i was looking for. I understand that stalling and over heating is an issue that all motors face in one way or another, but every carb bike I've ever owned was temperamental.

It didn't like being hot, being cold, being high up and the list continues. I'm about ready not have an emotional bike anymore lol.

Any recommendations?

2 minutes ago, James Vincero said:

Yes, this is what i was looking for. I understand that stalling and over heating is an issue that all motors face in one way or another, but every carb bike I've ever owned was temperamental.

It didn't like being hot, being cold, being high up and the list continues. I'm about ready not have an emotional bike anymore lol.

Any recommendations?

What recommendations are you looking for? Other than saying FI bikes are reliable and easier to live with anything more than that applies pretty much to most major manufacturers out there. After that it's a matter of finding the right bike for you which is a very subjective matter.

• Like 2