MCE - Price to Change bike is extortionate

Lanceautoman

I've sorted my insurance today with MCE to change my Hornet 600 to a new 2021 MT09 that I'm picking up on Wednesday. There is only 4 months left on my policy. I paid in full last year, not monthly and the fee MCE want to cover my new bike to the end of the policy is nearly as much as I paid for 12 months. Yes, the MT is worth more and has a bigger engine but I've also got a tracker fitted to it. Robbing bast*rds.

But you've paid it? 😲 Woud've just let it run out on the old bike (they'd probably charge £2000 to cancel the policy).

And get the new bike insured somewhere else. :)

It is well known MCE are extortionate on everything except the actual insurance price. They are often lower than anyone

else by a massive margin (mine was £500ish compared to £950+ everywhere else), you think YES, i'll get that.
But realise (if you haven't looked in to it) after that excess is often more than the bike is worth (mine was set at £3000)

and all other fee's etc are ridiculous.

7 hours ago, Lanceautoman said:

I've sorted my insurance today with MCE to change my Hornet 600 to a new 2021 MT09 that I'm picking up on Wednesday. There is only 4 months left on my policy. I paid in full last year, not monthly and the fee MCE want to cover my new bike to the end of the policy is nearly as much as I paid for 12 months. Yes, the MT is worth more and has a bigger engine but I've also got a tracker fitted to it. Robbing bast*rds.

Is it the bump in premium or "admin fees" that's costing so much.

They are well known bar stewards and their policies are crap.

Excess are huge. My 125 has an excess of about 40% of the bike value. 

Enjoy the new bike. All the reviews I've seen of the new mt09 say it's fantastic

Edited by daveinlim

Never let insurance just run out on a bike you no longer own. If someone else rides the bike whilst it's still insured in your name, even though you've told DVLA you no longer own it, if they have an accident your insurance can still be used in any claim.

Always cancel any policy as soon as you sell or trade a bike.

Sorry to hear of your woes. I'm with Bikesure and when I added the Bobber to my CBF500 I was pleasantly surprised how reasonable they were.

Edited by Mississippi Bullfrog
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Never let insurance just run out on a bike you no longer own.

Didn't register with me that he'd be getting rid of it. 😂 Whoops! My bad.

Yeah like he says, don't let it run if you don't own it. But then I bet MCE will charge you £1000 to cancel it. 😂

I liked Bikesure with mine, swapped between bikes and cost me nothing. Also got rid of bike before the next

policy was up by 3 months and they just took the bike off it and let the policy carry on so I don't lose anything.

Can't remember which company it was but I remember being told It would cost £55 in admin fees to change my address :shock:

The policy was only £145 as well. It had 2 months to go so I just let it carry on at old address. Not what I'd recommend but the thought of paying a company £55 to change a line on a computer screen really annoyed me! 

56 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

Can't remember which company it was but I remember being told It would cost £55 in admin fees to change my address :shock:

The policy was only £145 as well. It had 2 months to go so I just let it carry on at old address. Not what I'd recommend but the thought of paying a company £55 to change a line on a computer screen really annoyed me! 

You mean you Mods don't get that when you have to delete most of Six-30's posts?

i had the same , Bikesure done it to me , it was cheaper to cancel policy with them and go with a different company, did not matter about losing no claims cause i got enough years but for some one who was trying to build up no claims would of been a pisser.... robbing fookers.

and another thing ... just renewed my insurance , Bikesure wanted £460 , with the discount for being on here ..... had loads of cheaper quotes than that , stayed with Bennets £267..... 

• Like 1

@Mississippi Bullfrog was spot on and I was going to post exactly that. So now just posting to say he's right. Note they'll also take a dim view that you stated you were the registered keeper when commencing the insurance. So as well as having to pay out they would also likely cancel the insurance, you then have added pain taking out any other type of insurance in the future when they ask "have you ever been denied insurance or had insurance cancelled/voided"

2 hours ago, daveinlim said:

Is it the bump in premium or "admin fees" that's costing so much.

They are well known bar stewards and their policies are crap.

Excess are huge. My 125 has an excess of about 40% of the bike value. 

Enjoy the new bike. All the reviews I've seen of the new mt09 say it's fantastic

They said the admin fee was £80 alone plus they hiked up the premium and the excess. It was a foreign call centre and the person on phone struggled with English, particularly when I tried to negotiate. Lesson learned. I'll not be renewing with them again

3 hours ago, peatear said:

But you've paid it? 😲 Woud've just let it run out on the old bike (they'd probably charge £2000 to cancel the policy).

And get the new bike insured somewhere else. :)

It is well known MCE are extortionate on everything except the actual insurance price. They are often lower than anyone

else by a massive margin (mine was £500ish compared to £950+ everywhere else), you think YES, i'll get that.
But realise (if you haven't looked in to it) after that excess is often more than the bike is worth (mine was set at £3000)

and all other fee's etc are ridiculous.

I'll be honest, I didn't know you could leave a policy running like that after selling the bike.

I made this mistake with mce last week, 

I was going to look at a tiger that I was assured was a sound bike, I knew the area had poor phone signal so I arranged my insurance the day before through mce. 

the bike was an absolute dog on the test ride and I then had to pay mce £75 to cancel the policy! Apparently they have no cooling off period? 

and the w@*#er who had it advertised has done me for a £100 deposit! 

We live and learn 

most annoying part is that I bought a different tiger the next day and as much as I would’ve loved to ditch mce completely I couldn’t justify double the premium (£600 difference) just out of principle 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2