Am I being silly?

Beard

Hey everyone,

I hope you’re all well. 

Several years ago, at the ripe age of 18 I had a Sinnis Apache 125 which I bought on finance to firstly use as beginner bike. This quickly changed as life changed, I had to use the bike as my sole transport to and from work (40 mile round trip).

I was a very new rider and had to ride in all different types of weather, a few times due to rider error and inexperience I came off. Nothing too bad, just a few slides and bruised ego. Fast forward a few months of doing this, my bike was stolen. Ever since then, I have never thought about owning another bike.

At the present moment, I’m just over a year away from graduating university as a paramedic and want to get back into biking - I want the freedom and excitement to that I felt when I rode. It will be my escape from the rough days. 

As I am sure many of you are experienced riders, do you think that me coming back into riding and getting my full bike licence is a good idea? I’m a bit nervous because the most memorable memories that stick with me are me sliding off and having a bruised ego.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don’t know if I’m being silly or if my past experiences should definitely be an indicator that I shouldn’t ride a bike. 

Cheers,

Beard

Hi and welcome to the forum 

Crack on and get that test passed and all the worries will go away! 

You have a bit of experience and have learnt from it as the worry is there! you won't go out thinking you are the best rider and will hold back more than you would have as an 18 year old 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Hi and welcome to the forum 

Crack on and get that test passed and all the worries will go away! 

You have a bit of experience and have learnt from it as the worry is there! you won't go out thinking you are the best rider and will hold back more than you would have as an 18 year old 

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, definitely grown up a bit since then haha. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I guess it’s just better to hit the ground running like with anything. Cheers, Stu!

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

Some proper lessons, learn from your mistakes and crack on 👍 

Definitely! I guess in a way, it’s a blessing in disguise the bike was pinched because I don’t think my ego could have taken any more slides on wet grids. Cheers, Bender! Watch this space. 

• Like 2

ride like your on Blues the system, IPSGA, at normal road speed of course.

Also have a car for the days it’s icy, snowy or it’s going to be an 0600 finish and your generally not in the humour.

Remember don’t drive an ambulance like it’s a bike they are heavier don’t filter so well and the patient in the back won’t appreciate it.

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, onesea said:

ride like your on Blues the system, IPSGA, at normal road speed of course.

Also have a car for the days it’s icy, snowy or it’s going to be an 0600 finish and your generally not in the humour.

Remember don’t drive an ambulance like it’s a bike they are heavier don’t filter so well and the patient in the back won’t appreciate it.

Thanks for the words of advice, onesea.

They don’t let me drive the ambulances yet (direct entry uni students don’t get the luxury until they graduate) but I completely get where you’re coming from. 

In regards to the less than ideal weather and the finishes, couldn’t agree with you any more! Even finishing at 06:00 and driving a car home, you can definitely feel the effects of the 12 hour shift so would never want to risk it on a bike.

I’ll probably be on a bike before they let me drive the ambulances BUT when they let me drive them, I’ll remember they don’t filter well and the patient might not appreciate it haha.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've learnt a lot and will come back to two wheels with some valuable experience.

There's nothing wrong with riding in all weathers if you have the right bike and the right gear. But it does make a difference how far you need to travel and on what roads. Motorways in freezing fog are unpleasant. Rural lanes in ice and snow are unpredictable.

• Like 1

I'm a fairly new rider and I'd say to get back on. You'll remember those slides and bruises but as others have said, renewing your CBT will give you a better idea of how to ride, then just take your time.

Fish

You'll need to do training for the bike tests, so use that time to learn from the instructors.....get a good instructor and listen to what they tell you and You'll be fine. Doesn't hurt to do a bit of further training once you've passed your test too. 👍

17 hours ago, fastbob said:

No good asking me . I was born silly .

And if you need any proof of that , I joined this forum with a GSXR 1100 and chose the name Fastbob then after a few years I flogged the Suzuki and bought a Harley Davidson . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fastbob said:

And if you need any proof of that , I joined this forum with a GSXR 1100 and chose the name Fastbob then after a few years I flogged the Suzuki and bought a Harley Davidson . 

My plummet to the bottom is similar I still own a supercharged Hayabusa a traditional Hayabusa and a 1200 Kawasaki ZRX and I still bought a hardley fookin movinson ! Then I have started to really fall in love with the bl**dy thing lol.

It pays to always be open to new things.

Cheers

Ian

1 minute ago, Ian Frog said:

My plummet to the bottom is similar I still own a supercharged Hayabusa a traditional Hayabusa and a 1200 Kawasaki ZRX and I still bought a hardley fookin movinson ! Then I have started to really fall in love with the bl**dy thing lol.

It pays to always be open to new things.

Cheers

Ian

I blame the ER5 . There's a lot of fun to be had thrashing the best performance out of 50 horsepower rather than knowing that you can go any speed you want . Oh , the cat has just climbed aboard and put it's arse in my face . I think it could be his second dinner time . 😳

Funnily enough I spent some of the weekend recommending ER5 to my girlfriends daughter who is thinking of doing her CBT and first test.

I think it would be a great bike to start with as she is 22 and in my humble opinion sensible enough to hopefully go on to enjoy herself.

I can see loads of questions coming up as she regards me as someone who knows a little about bikes but I am shocked at how little I know about the current licensing fiasco as I passed my test when it was £7.50 and probably in black and white.

Cheers

Ian

1 minute ago, Ian Frog said:

Funnily enough I spent some of the weekend recommending ER5 to my girlfriends daughter who is thinking of doing her CBT and first test.

I think it would be a great bike to start with as she is 22 and in my humble opinion sensible enough to hopefully go on to enjoy herself.

I can see loads of questions coming up as she regards me as someone who knows a little about bikes but I am shocked at how little I know about the current licensing fiasco as I passed my test when it was £7.50 and probably in black and white.

Cheers

Ian

I'll probably be selling my latest project at some point this summer . 

EFFECTS.jpg

Life is for living, get yourself trained, do the CBT and take the opportunity to enjoy biking.  As others have said, you have learned from the spills you had, you are older and wiser and its so much FUN on a bike. :)

• Like 2