Does installing extra headlights damage my battery?

potatobroxd

So my headlights are pretty mediocre at night so I'm looking to install these aftermarket headlights in addition. I'm just worried that these extra may draw too much power so I'm not sure how it may affect the battery or damage it? (im horrendous with electricity stuff).

Is there also a way to check the maximum load the battery can output? Cheers

20210706_015929.jpg

Edited by potatobroxd

Its not the battery you want to be worried about its the charging system that will take the brunt of it 

If they are too much then the battery would drain as the charging system wouldn't be able to cope and it will use the juice in the battery 

A battery is there to start the bike then after that the charging system takes over 

Back to the lights! get some LED lights and the draw will be very little 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/07/2021 at 20:00, potatobroxd said:

So my headlights are pretty mediocre at night so I'm looking to install these aftermarket headlights in addition. I'm just worried that these extra may draw too much power so I'm not sure how it may affect the battery or damage it? (im horrendous with electricity stuff).

Is there also a way to check the maximum load the battery can output? Cheers

20210706_015929.jpg

Have you looked at replacing the current bulb(s). My CBF headlight was pretty useless until I replaced the bulb with a better quality one. 

Some reckon they don't last as long but I've had the Halfords brighter bulb in for a couple of years now which is fair enough. Same wattage, more light.

You need to find out how much current alternator produces continuously (there are usually two figures, one is continuous, the other is peak). Should be in the manual, or if not a bike-specific forum will likely have the answer)

Then add up how much current draw you already have for

* headlamp

* tail lamp

* heated grips

* and any other accessories (e.g. sat nav)

(I wouldn't include indicators or brake lights, as these only come on occasionally)

Subtract the drawn current from the available current, and you have what's still available. Leave 0.5A - 1A margin to be safe. Check the available current against the specced current draw for the lamps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/07/2021 at 13:15, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

Have you looked at replacing the current bulb(s). My CBF headlight was pretty useless until I replaced the bulb with a better quality one. 

Some reckon they don't last as long but I've had the Halfords brighter bulb in for a couple of years now which is fair enough. Same wattage, more light.

Im not sure if changing it affects my MOT so i opted for these clipons so I can remove them during MOTs

21 hours ago, bonio said:

You need to find out how much current alternator produces continuously (there are usually two figures, one is continuous, the other is peak). Should be in the manual, or if not a bike-specific forum will likely have the answer)

Then add up how much current draw you already have for

* headlamp

* tail lamp

* heated grips

* and any other accessories (e.g. sat nav)

(I wouldn't include indicators or brake lights, as these only come on occasionally)

Subtract the drawn current from the available current, and you have what's still available. Leave 0.5A - 1A margin to be safe. Check the available current against the specced current draw for the lamps.

Wow thanks for the detailed response, definitely need to sharpen up my electricity knowledge haha

• Like 1

Keep in mind that legislation regarding headlights and MOT has changed.

LED's compliant with BS (British standard, not the other BS) are now legal.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions/mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions