Riding along, donkey like, think, engine dies

James in Brum

I’m not going to do any more exploring right now. I don’t think it is safe in fading light. Battery sending enough juice for lights, starter not even trying. 

been trying to think what would cause the brief bouts of sudden speed loss and engine noise followed by a thunk sound (I think) and then no response from engine. 
would something electrical do that?

Fair enough.

I don`t like electrical faults but I like clunk noises even less.

When you get it home start by removing panels etc and examine everything before you start ripping into it.

If in doubt take pics and ask others.

Good luck and hopefully an easy fix.

Cheers

Ian

34 minutes ago, Ian Frog said:

At least I was trying to be helpful lol.

Cheers

Ian

its the thunk sound ... thats not a good noise on anything mechanical, especially if its a clunk sound and being mistaken for a thunk noise.

Edited by Six30

1 hour ago, James in Brum said:

Hi gang, 

riding along, the bike gets weird almost like sudden engine breaking briefly then okay then sudden engine breaking, then engine cuts out. 
now turn the key and nothing happens. 
what could I be looking at? 
thanks for thoughts.

Turn the key or pressing the starter switch? 

If you're getting the usual dash lights when turning the ignition on but nothing when you hit the starter - and it's cut out whilst running - it could be a break in the loom or a bad switch - eg kill switch / side stand switch?

The "Bogging Down" sounds similar to what happened to my bike. It seemed to lose power a few times, so pulled over and checked transmission, which was fine, so I carried on.

Went through the Tyne Tunnel. I got out the tunnel and was travelling down a slip road. it just died and wouldn't start. I can't remember if the starter was working, as this happened over 2 years ago.

So after stripping the engine down, turned out my piston rings had siezed, and had no compression.

Not tried anything more now. Have given it to a garage. I cannot afford the time to inexpertly learn this time. I need the bike to work or know I need to replace it. That said the mechanic thinks it will be next week before they get chance. 
been looking at V-stroms

on eBay.

Side stand switch , trying bending the tang that pushes the switch . If that doesn't get it try running on Pri ( Prime position ) on the fuel tap . And if it's still playing up , clean both ends of both battery leads and whatever they connect to with  an abrasive and reassemble . Failing all of that , pull all the multi pin connectors starting with the most crispy looking ones . Clean and inspect . If you are still stuck I don't mind popping over to have a look at it . 

Edited by fastbob

2 hours ago, James in Brum said:

Not tried anything more now. Have given it to a garage. I cannot afford the time to inexpertly learn this time. I need the bike to work or know I need to replace it. That said the mechanic thinks it will be next week before they get chance. 
been looking at V-stroms

on eBay.

I should have read this before posting . Oh well . By the way Exream used to ride a VStrom .