How much?

Steve_M

We’ve just had notification of the increased cost for LPG to heat our house. An increase of 20%. I suspect we’re fortunate as I hear that gas prices for some people have risen by as much as 30%. 

38 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

We've just switched from Scottish Power (absolutely  awful people to deal with) to British Gas and the increase is about 18% which is roughly what we'd have had to pay anyway.

I had smart meters fitted by Scottish Power in January 2020 & despite countless emails & phone calls, they still can’t get a remote reading & keep insisting on meter readings -I eventually spat my dummy & went to the Ombudsman 6 months ago, SP have now made an appointment for this Friday to have someone come out & look at them - we will see WTF happens… if you see a hostage situation in Cov crop up on the news you’ll know they couldn’t sort it !!

Ombudsman says SP have got to give me £100 compo, yet to see it !!

• Like 1

Expect gas to only get worse, its gone from 45p a therm to over £3 in a year, gov is talking about removing some of the crap from electricity bills and seeing as they want rid of gas boilers you can imagine it's heading to a gas bill near you soon. 

1 hour ago, Mickly said:

I had smart meters fitted by Scottish Power in January 2020 & despite countless emails & phone calls, they still can’t get a remote reading & keep insisting on meter readings -I eventually spat my dummy & went to the Ombudsman 6 months ago, SP have now made an appointment for this Friday to have someone come out & look at them - we will see WTF happens… if you see a hostage situation in Cov crop up on the news you’ll know they couldn’t sort it !!

Ombudsman says SP have got to give me £100 compo, yet to see it !!

We had their smart meter and it worked OK except for almost 3 years they couldn't give us a proper itemised bill not even on line. Also they were trying to charge us for a meter reading from a house in the next road to us. That took 2 years to sort. Finally when we left they worked out they actually owed us a tenner. Dreadful people to work with and I would never, ever recommend them for anything at all.

I'm waiting to see if there is any upside to this, as my company owns British gas and their tactic at the moment seems to be "hoover up as many customers as possible, and hopefully we will retain some" when the smaller energy firms collapse. We hope that a mild start to winter at least will give the gas reserves chance to get back up to a sensible level. 

Smart meters are a bit daft, several companies came out with devices and none of them used a standardised comms protocol. This means many energy companies don't have the means to even connect to the meters (they won't tell you that though). Even at an industrial level, everyone has a different way of doing things so we've resorted to fitting a programmable intermediary panel that acts like a datalogger, it can convert signals inputted. But this won't work for the millions of UK homes!

3 hours ago, Fozzie said:

I'm waiting to see if there is any upside to this, as my company owns British gas and their tactic at the moment seems to be "hoover up as many customers as possible, and hopefully we will retain some" when the smaller energy firms collapse. We hope that a mild start to winter at least will give the gas reserves chance to get back up to a sensible level. 

Smart meters are a bit daft, several companies came out with devices and none of them used a standardised comms protocol. This means many energy companies don't have the means to even connect to the meters (they won't tell you that though). Even at an industrial level, everyone has a different way of doing things so we've resorted to fitting a programmable intermediary panel that acts like a datalogger, it can convert signals inputted. But this won't work for the millions of UK homes!

I think it may be Japan not certain, but they have a camera that is pointed at the display on any meter by any provider, it can take readings on request and any company can access them, error rates are miniscule and easy to correct and verify..... 

• Like 1

When we moved Shell wanted us to install smart meters. I told the. We live in a rural area with no mobile signal. That's not a problem they said. Except when the bloke came to install the meters he told me they use the mobile data connection so there was no point us having smart meters.

I make do with a pad and a pencil once a month. It works fine.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bender said:

I think it may be Japan not certain, but they have a camera that is pointed at the display on any meter by any provider, it can take readings on request and any company can access them, error rates are miniscule and easy to correct and verify..... 

Can you imagine the UK trying to allow companies to put any form of camera into the home? :lol:

The same numpties who fill out those social media quizzes that mine their passwords would be outraged.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

Can you imagine the UK trying to allow companies to put any form of camera into the home? :lol:

The same numpties who fill out those social media quizzes that mine their passwords would be outraged.

We wouldn't be allowed it on the grounds that it's simple and works 😁 

• Like 1