Amazon

Gerontious

@S-Westerly

Kindles are fantastic and for someone like you I'm sure they are even more useful.

I read quite a bit and it's been a while since I bought an actual book, usually only when I can't get an e-version of it. 

Still can't bring myself to part with my bookcases though :lol:

• Like 1

Can never throw a book away.Got hundreds around the place. When we moved my feet were held to the fire so I ended up donating 5 cartons of mainly paperbacks to the Missions to Seamen to provide ships visiting the port of Avonmouth and  Portbury. Back in the day we had no Internet so getting books wasn't easy.

• Like 3

I have a few recipe books and a signed by an author book I won, other than that I have no affinity to books. 

I've had a look at Xmas and decided to get rid of more cookbooks, family went through a phase of Ohhhh I don't know what to get you, your so hard to buy for, Wtf, a hammer, a screwdriver, a pry bar any bloody tool would do. 

Actually now the book subject has been brought up, billy connoly,  and diddly squat are sat looking at me, not moved since Xmas, the fire is on hmmmm 🤔 

@JayMutt  No.  Late last year Amazon announced they would no longer accept Visa Credit cards from the UK after January.  Debit cards were ok. Something to do with higher charges.

They've now said they will continue to accept them for the time being so I assume a  backroom deal has been struck :lol:

36 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

@JayMutt  No.  Late last year Amazon announced they would no longer accept Visa Credit cards from the UK after January.  Debit cards were ok. Something to do with higher charges.

They've now said they will continue to accept them for the time being so I assume a  backroom deal has been struck :lol:

Both Amazon and Visa are mega corporations and neither was going to lose the others business. Probably worth millions. They'll have struck a deal where mega Amazon pays only a small fee to Visa whereas your small local trader will be paying the full whack to Visa. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Both Amazon and Visa are mega corporations and neither was going to lose the others business. Probably worth millions. They'll have struck a deal where mega Amazon pays only a small fee to Visa whereas your small local trader will be paying the full whack to Visa. 

So use your credit card with Amazon and debit with your local guy.

Put another way of you like the service debit, if you don't credit card.  

Obviously not always possible but a worthy goal...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, onesea said:

So use your credit card with Amazon and debit with your local guy.

Put another way of you like the service debit, if you don't credit card.  

Obviously not always possible but a worthy goal...

I think there is still a charge to the retailer even if using a debit card. Not sure though.

19 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Can never throw a book away.Got hundreds around the place. When we moved my feet were held to the fire so I ended up donating 5 cartons of mainly paperbacks to the Missions to Seamen to provide ships visiting the port of Avonmouth and  Portbury. Back in the day we had no Internet so getting books wasn't easy.

That's probably why I have a dodgy back, lugging crates of books on and off ships. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

I think there is still a charge to the retailer even if using a debit card. Not sure though.

There is with all cards no matter credit or debit.

One of the worst ones for charges was and probably still is American express. That's why a lot of places won't take it.

2 hours ago, Tiggie said:

One of the worst ones for charges was and probably still is American express. That's why a lot of places won't take it.

Amex also charge for the privilege of having a card which is why I don't have one. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tiggie said:

Diners is worse than AmEx. Has one as a works credit card. Never found anywhere to take it. When taking clients out we had to get cash from an ATM first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Amex also charge for the privilege of having a card which is why I don't have one. 

I have a Nectar AmEx card. No annual fee for that.