Feckin ebay sellers

Bid on a bike, and surprisingly won. Did an hpi check on reg which was fine, wasn't able to go see the bike so took a punt. Now I've won and spoke to seller to organise payment etc. he's told me the frame no. doesn't match the v5c. He reckons previous owner built it from combining two bikes. He said he can put a plate over the frame number with the number from the v5. Sounds fishy to me. So what say ye? Carry on and take the risk or try and cancel through ebay?

4 minutes ago, fullscreenaging said:

Surely if you escalate it to Ebay (if ge won’t agree to cancelling) and they see what has gone down they will see in your favour. 

Yep, should do. It's not a small bit of info to miss off. Not worried  not handed any money over. Hopefully he'll be decent, cancel and resist with the info there.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Sounds well dodgy! 

Ask him for both vin numbers and do a check on both and see what it says out of curiosity more than anything. 

I would steer clear

yep throw that bike a big curve

Numberplate is assigned to the chassis and its unique Vin.

If its not that VIN and VRN combo then its not that 'reg'

And it will not be able to MOT it with incorrect numbers

Report and do not take ownership of bike 

2 minutes ago, TimR said:

Numberplate is assigned to the chassis and its unique Vin.

If its not that VIN and VRN combo then its not that 'reg'

And it will not be able to MOT it with incorrect numbers

Report and do not take ownership of bike 

Deffo not taking it. Too much hassle all round. It was a fixer upper I was going to tinker with over the winter and move on next year. Don't need trouble moving it in later down the line. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now cancelled. Seller offered it to next highest bidder but didn't hear back. Keeping my eye out fir a suitable fixer upper/ recommissioning project. Anyone with a guzzi griso that needs love?

Ebay T&C's for automotive business clearly states that "Item not as described" is a good reason to end the deal.

If doesn't say in the description that the bike is a rebuild and not road worthy then you have a case for not paying and end the deal.

Ebay won't hold anything on you