Virago 535 and Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra mixing

Dawid126

Hi, what do you think about putting Metzeler ME888 Marathon ultra 140/90/15 on the rear and some other tire on the front? I was thinking about Pirelli MT 66 Route 90/90/19, because there is no 90/90/19 ME888 size. Or shouldn't I mix tires?

I honestly don't think it's going to make a heap of difference on a 535 Virago . I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of the bike though . There aren't too many around these days . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dawid126 said:

But the problem is that there are very few choices in sizes that fit virago 535, Pirelli MT 66 Route, Dunlop D404, Heidenau K65, but all those are cheaper tires, whereas ME888 is I think of better quality

Pirelli are decent enough tyres. They are standard on Ducatis  although I changed mine for Metzlers when I'd worn them out. Assuming you aren't riding like a loon Pirellis or others you mentioned should be fine.

And what about putting Metzeler Roadtec on the front with ME888 on the rear? But this is a sport-touring tire and ME888 is a cruiser tire and I dont know if such mix would be good. I had a crash on my old bike, rear lost traction in the middle of a turn and because of that I just want to buy the best tires I can get.

4 hours ago, Dawid126 said:

And what about putting Metzeler Roadtec on the front with ME888 on the rear? But this is a sport-touring tire and ME888 is a cruiser tire and I dont know if such mix would be good. I had a crash on my old bike, rear lost traction in the middle of a turn and because of that I just want to buy the best tires I can get.

Again, not really. 

You should always have the same set of tyres on your bike as they have been tested together. 

It’s not illegal to have different tyre brands but you just know if you have an accident your insurance company will find any excuse not to pay out, and you will have given them one right there if you choose to mix tyres. 

I don’t know your exact bike, but I just typed in Virago 535 tyre pair deals and found this website 

https://gb.mynetmoto.com/shop.cfm/moto/yamaha/5783-xv-535-virago-2yl-3br-vj01/motorcycle-tyres.html

Some of us are tyre mixing mavericks. I have a pilot road 2 on the back and  pilot road 3 on the front but I live my whole life on the edge, that's just how I roll, crazy risk taker.

If you want to really raise eyebrows stick car tyres on, become a darksider.

2 hours ago, goat said:

Some of us are tyre mixing mavericks. I have a pilot road 2 on the back and  pilot road 3 on the front but I live my whole life on the edge, that's just how I roll, crazy risk taker.

If you want to really raise eyebrows stick car tyres on, become a darksider.

Did you ever see the Fortnine video about just that? Apparently it's a thing in North America. 

6 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Did you ever see the Fortnine video about just that? Apparently it's a thing in North America. 

So is eating Racoons , marrying your sister and voting for Donald Trump . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, S-Westerly said:

Yeah, a friend over there uses car tyres. Not for me though.

2 hours ago, Dawid126 said:

Here is the bike :)

virago.jpg

Love it I had a 250 in 1995 i had to sell it 3 years later to afford to rent my 1st flat in London still miss it. Used it all year round cared for it and it was immaculate. Hope you go on some great journeys on it

1 hour ago, Mr Fro said:

I guess it works if all you ever do is potter up & down straight roads.

He rides a lot on twisty mountain roads up in the North West. Horses for courses. 

I've a 150 rear and 140 front on the DRZ and it rides... well, like donkey with colic, which is much like it did when the tyres matched. 

• Haha 2