Road to knee down

Benn345

Evening all - went for a spin on a 2013 gixxer 600 today. I’ve had her for about 4 months upgraded from a 125 lol. Just had some fun round the twistys over in southminster, Essex. Any advice for better cornering ? Struggling with confidence at the moment 

If you believe you need to get your knee down to get round a corner you have a long way to go to learn ,and i would concentrate more on road cornering than race cornering  to build confidence .

Burnham bends are great and knee down is not required to navigate and have fun 

• Like 1

It's winter and the roads are bit shite and not very grippy. You just need to keep things smooth and keep the bike upright and happy that that's what you've achieved. And you'll learn some great habits that come into their own come March or April, when you can start to make the bike work a bit harder.

50 minutes ago, techniques said:

Track day. 

Knee down... on public roads... in the winter...

What are you going to tell us next? That you went from a 125cc to a Japanese 600 Supersport?

He didn't say he got his knee down, he's asking for tips on improving his cornering but I don't see anything about knees on tarmac.

• Like 1

When cornering on roads, it's not so much how fast your bike can go round a the corner.

It's more a matter of going slow enough to stop before hitting whatever is lurking round the corner.

If your not feeling confident don't push it.  If your feeling confident becarefull, that's when it's most likely to go wrong.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2021 at 22:53, S-Westerly said:

He didn't say he got his knee down, he's asking for tips on improving his cornering but I don't see anything about knees on tarmac.

Title of the thread. "Road to Knee down."

Op talks about having fun in the twistys on his GSXR 600 Sports bike

Then asks for better cornering advice as he's struggling with confidence. People who ride Gixxers generally aren't struggling with confidence, lol.

Unless it's leaning the bike more around the corner... as to get his knee down, perhaps? 

My initial post was in jest, but given those details, it's pretty clear what the objective is.

If he really wants to get his knee down the best route imo is on a course on a race track where a) you use someone else's bike, b) there's no traffic. There used to be someone at Mallory Park who did this and I'm sure there's others. Really wouldn't recommend knee down on a public road.