Am I too old to begin my motorcycle journey?

JayMutt

2 hours ago, JayMutt said:

That would be my number 1 choice as it will likely be cheaper than a Honda CBF125 and Yamaha YBR125, but I don't think there are many options for the CG125? I've been on auto trader and the options look limited. 

2 hours ago, JayMutt said:

That would be my number 1 choice as it will likely be cheaper than a Honda CBF125 and Yamaha YBR125, but I don't think there are many options for the CG125? I've been on auto trader and the options look limited. 

i have just looked on fleabay and even though there are one or two in half decent condition the rest look like projects and it looks like even with the cg's  the price seems to be rising. you could wait till a member called fast bob comes on and ask him if he knows of any for handy money in good condition 

2 minutes ago, Bender said:

Fortnine has some good vids if your bored

Mc rider

I've been watching MCrider videos this evening. You can clearly tell how much the guy loves motorcycling. I could listen to him all day long. 

If you're unsure of how to fix something on your bike, what's the best thing to do? It will take time for me to understand bike parts/the mechanics of a motorcycle so if something does need to be changed, am I better of bringing the bike to the dealer where I bought it from for them to help? Or to a mechanic where they can help and possibly show me?

Invest in a Haynes manual. They aren't perfect but for getting the basics they're pretty good and you get torque settings and capacities.

Bikes are generally very easy to work on. If it's safety related ask someone to check what you're doing. But if you're starting with a decent quality 125 they're simple enough.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JayMutt said:

My plan is to buy an older used Japanese Honda or Yamaha from a reputable dealer based in West London. I want to build up my confidence on a 125 before even thinking about moving up to a bigger one.

I love the look of the 2014 Yamaha YBR125 Custom bike and 2011 Honda CBF125 Naked bike. I've read it's best to go to the actual dealer and talk it over with them and sit on the bike to get a feel for it.

First things first though, I'll get my taster + CBT booked. Don't want to get ahead of myself. 

don’t overthink it. And certainly don’t rush to buy a 125. It may turn out that you enjoy the CBT so much, or it gives you that little something that makes you want to go further. From CBT to lessons at a riding school to full license.. which will open up a shed load of possibilities.

• Like 2

On 12/01/2022 at 18:27, JayMutt said:

Hi everyone. I'm 38. Currently have covid so I've been self isolating. It has been a nightmare. I love motorcycles and am currently trying to convince myself to go ahead and book my CBT. Am I too old to get started? I am quite the nervous type so the thought of going on the course does scare me a little, even more so getting on the road and riding. I've been watching plenty of YouTube videos on learners getting into riding for the first time and choosing their first bikes. I'm all for learning as much as possible about the controls of a motorcycle and how to ride them the correct way. Can anyone recommend a good place to do my CBT? Or preferably, a course designed to teach you the basics and a 1-on-1 lesson(s) before doing a CBT? I am based in Hounslow, West London (down the road from Twickenham Rugby stadium). 

No way I started last in year at 39! Did all my training at Twickenham motorcycle school which is near kempton park...they use mt07..really good...I passed with them

Thanks for the recommendations. I've booked with Rideto at Wembley. Their website is brilliant. Very professional and once you book a course the website brings up helpful information for beginners on Motorcycle controls and the Highway Code. 

• Like 2

Did my DAS at 58.  I'm 35,000 miles in.  A 125 is the fastest thing in London.  I did 2000 miles on a 125 then 12000 on a 500 before buying a "big" bike. I don't regret any of that experience.  In fact I don't know why I bothered to go beyond 500.  There is no actual gain except higher bills!

I recomend lessons over time instead of a block couse.  My wife tried that, but the schedule unraveled leaving insufficient time to complete Mod2.

I don't regret any of that experience.  In fact I don't know why I bothered to go beyond 500.  There is no actual gain except higher bills!

Ive just moved down from a 1300 to a 500. I wish I’d done it a long time ago, I’m using the new bike far more often than I used the previous one; any excuse and I’m out riding on it. 

If I was starting out and (let’s fantasise) was of average height and with a normal inside leg measurement. I would be more than happy with one of the new crop of 300cc bikes. However I’m not. So I ride a 1000cc which in terms of scale adds up to the same thing!! 😳

• Like 2

As a committed life-long midget, I really wouldn't want a 300 if I was thinking doing any mile munching. I can do 150/200 mile days on the DRZ - a 400 - but put it on a trunk road or a motorway and it quickly gets tiring. But for hooning around the back roads, it can't be beaten.

18 hours ago, DR1 said:

I don't regret any of that experience.  In fact I don't know why I bothered to go beyond 500.  There is no actual gain except higher bills!

Ive just moved down from a 1300 to a 500. I wish I’d done it a long time ago, I’m using the new bike far more often than I used the previous one; any excuse and I’m out riding on it. 

That's what happened to me . I bought an ER5 as a project and ended up riding it for two years in preference to my GSXR 1100 . I even went touring round Scotland on the thing . That's when it finally dawned on me that I could live without a 150+ mph bike so I bought the Harley . 

I did my CBT at 49 and passed das last July. Best decision ever wished I'd made it at your age ! Just crack on. Google schools in your area and have look at reviews of them. You will probably find that any decent school will do a taster for you before you do your cbt. If not just do it anyway, it's great fun and you will definitely  find out if biking is for you. Then obviously go and do your das ASAP 🤪

Edited by Spongefinger
  • Like 1