Navigation

Just like buses, i have not posted for ages then two come along at once.

Been looking at a sat nav solution but cant decide on what i want. 

Really like the look and idea of the Beeline but the main thing putting me off is the lack of audio support.  I feel its more dangerous as you need to look down more frequently than if you have audio directions as well.  SO i am not completely sold on this. 

So i am thinking about continuing to use my phone but get a decent mount for it.  However, i dont have one of the mainstream phones (OnePlus 9) so noone provides a purpose built mount for it, meaning i will need to use the universal mounts. 

So looked at the following:

-  RAM looks OK but is very large on the bike when not in use, cases are not waterproof

- Ultimate additions looks the best option, cases are waterproof and the mounts look good even when the phone is not on it.  

So my question is, does anyone have a better option? Does anhyone have a OP9 and use the UA universal case?  Does it fit well?

I use a Beeline and the lack of audio isn't an issue from my experience. The information is so simple that a quick glance does the trick. But it does take a bit of getting used to at first.

The one complaint is that in a place where there are multiple turns in very close proximity you struggle a bit. That's where a conventional satnav is better, but I find the amount of information on a normal satnav is too distracting on a bike. 

So do I, following 11 years using a Zumo 660 and throughout that time have used it purely as a visual aid with the sound muted. I prefer to have them mounted above the instruments so just below my line of sight.

Beeline for me, advantages are small size and no power supply needed. 

Disadvantage is the less detailed screen, easier to miss a turn but it gets you there. For important journeys I'd probably get a proper sat nav. 

13 minutes ago, RAYK47 said:

Hi Stu

No i was meaning the hard case?  

UA UK Website

I have the zip pouch one and it's shite! 

So much so I used it once then not touched it since 

thanks for letting me know.

I have never been so torn on a purchase before, normally i just jump straight in and sometimes regret it.  But the purpose built cases are so expensive these days that i might be overthinking it.

I want it to be waterproof so the UA one seems the best option.  Really love the look and simplicity of the Beeline but no audio directions really puts me off.  Plus using a phone gives you so many options on apps, if you don tlike the Beeline app (routes etc) then you are stuck. 

I have just spotted this on the J&S website, there is one pretty clos eto me so i might see if they have any instore to look at.  

Not quite what i am looking for but its pretty cheap so might be a good option.

Motorcycle Phone & Sat Nav Mounts | J&S Accessories (jsaccessories.co.uk)

After having the phone shutting down because of overheating in France, Spain and Portugal I followed @Stu advice and got myself a zumo xt for the touring trips.

Local (cooler weather) trips I'll use the phone with waze.

Works great for me with a diy waterproof(ish) case. I'm not bothered the case not being waterproof as my phone is IP67.

Also as important as which device you will be using, is how you connect it to the bike. You will want to have a relay to cut the supply off when you turn ignition off.

Edited by husoi

Thanks Husoi

i agree when its hot a dedicated Sat Nav is probably better at standing up to the heat.  Less bothered about power to the phone as a power bank would do the job.

When you say DIY waterproof case, what is that? a plastic food bag?  My phone is not officially IP67 but versions in the US are officially IP67 and they are surely made in the same factory to the same spec.  

I mean a proper DIY case. :thumb:

Got the box from cpcfarnel.co.uk

The holes in the silver board is for ventilation to avoid overheating, which in the UK is not a big problem and I only use the shadow for shorter trips.

The handlebar mount was from another device that I adapted to the box

1355291242_Phonebox5.thumb.jpg.e0b7ab1816a079b79797c20dfb099dff.jpg

1389904161_Phonebox1.thumb.jpg.34bcd0bda2ca9a65f7c69302fd290523.jpg

16 minutes ago, husoi said:

I mean a proper DIY case. :thumb:

Got the box from cpcfarnel.co.uk

The holes in the silver board is for ventilation to avoid overheating, which in the UK is not a big problem and I only use the shadow for shorter trips.

The handlebar mount was from another device that I adapted to the box

1355291242_Phonebox5.thumb.jpg.e0b7ab1816a079b79797c20dfb099dff.jpg

1389904161_Phonebox1.thumb.jpg.34bcd0bda2ca9a65f7c69302fd290523.jpg

Wow that is decent work. 

• Confused 1

I use the UA hard case. 

It works well - stick the phone in, shut the case, and off you go. You can even use the touch screen through the plastic front. 

I've had it over a year, and it's worn well so far - no breaks, no signs of it failing.

I've used it in truly foul Scottish rain and it's perfectly waterproof, even with the USB cable in.

It's attached to the bike using a RAM headstock mount and the UA RAM adaptor. The phone ends up a bit too low - just a bit below the height of the speedo - but it's ok. The adaptor is a bit ugly - doesn't look great when it's on the bike without the case, but it's easy enough to remove. 

The main downer is that's stiff and awkward to open and close, so it's a faff to hop of the bike, grab the phone and take a picture or make a call.

Thanks @bonio , is that the universal case or a purpose built one?  If there was a purpose built one for my phone then i may have already bought it by now, i just have concerns about the fit of a generic case.  

one concern i had was the hassle but i think you have to sacrifice something, either waterproof or ease or use.  One reason i am consideriung the soft case option mentioned by Mike.  My local J&S has one that looks quite decent and has a neat connection system similar to UA.  

I have been looking at some cheaper options on Amazon

Motorbike phone holder mount waterproof single fast connection with with Quick Charger 2.1A Waterproof case with visor suitable for Smartphones up to 7.2" motorcycle phone holder mount: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I am concerned about the quality of those though, particularly the ones that have a similar click style attachment as the top brands.  UA did send me a 10% off code because i have had the order in my basket for so long, still £60 though including delivery.  

Also using the Zumo xt

Had tried a phone in a zip waterproof case but sometimes could not see the screen with the glare on the plastic case like the one pictured above

Also read some users accounts of vibrations breaking the phone's camera I was using an old Samsung so that was not an issue for me 

@RAYK47 Mine is the universal case - but I checked before buying it and made sure it was good fit for the phone (Samsung M30). I didn't want a case that was way too big. As it is, the phone is nice and snug, so it's easy just to plop it in the case and know it's in the right position.

If you're sure you want to go down the route of phone + waterproof case, the UA route is very good one. Once you've got yourself over the emotional hurdle of the price tag, you won't be disappointed with the quality of the capability of the product.

Thanks for all your input.  Went for the UA one in the end, got 10% off so cost just over £61.  Still very pricey but "you get what you pay for" they say.  

- universal XXL case (OP9 is slightly too large for XL)

- top clamp adapter, seemed better that the handlebar one for a Triumph STR

• Like 2