War in europe?

Bender

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

But we have to start ....

I have heard a rumour that there are millions of tons of coal below the fields around Drax and Ferrybridge power stations ....... can’t be true or they wouldn’t be burning wood pellets that cause greater output of harmful emissions than coal ...

I mean .. that would just be stupid !

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Trooper74 said:

I have heard a rumour that there are millions of tons of coal below the fields around Drax and Ferrybridge power stations ....... can’t be true or they wouldn’t be burning wood pellets that cause greater output of harmful emissions than coal ...

There is an estimated 190 billion tons of coal under the UK! .. Its believed there are up to 20 trillion tons under the North Sea!

Where's my spade? ,)

Edited by KiwiBob

Someone recently told me that he'd been asking what they did with the void left when oil was extracted. The answer was that it was filled with gas. Apparently there is two years supply held in storage somewhere deep underground. 

I have no idea if this is true and I can't remember who told me. Seems a bit far fetched to me but maybe not.

Petrol round here is now £1.63 a litre for E10. 

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

Depends how you look at, wood pellets are carbon neutral if they are replaced with a similar tree that grows in its place. The cycle of this means no additional CO2 is added to the atmosphere. It's just a constant cycle of chopping a tree down, burn the wood, release C02, grow a new tree, trap C02, and repeat. But when you include the emissions from chopping them down and processing them, it isn't neutral.

Coal's replacement rate is in the millions of years, meaning its burning will only add to the atmosphere. 

Most of our power is made by burning gas. And seeing as the price of that is not coming down soon, how stupid was that!? 

When oil is extracted its removed from sedimentary rocks and nothing particularly replaces it. Some more modern well inject water into the oil bearing strata to increase the oil return. Sadly gas is not injected. Its actually usually on top of the oil and in the bad old days just burnt off. As to coal in the North East we had one of the most productive coal mines in the world going miles out under the North Sea. This was at Lynemouth and there were millions of tonnes left in it. Unfortunately I believe all the shafts are now flooded and pretty inaccessible. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

When oil is extracted its removed from sedimentary rocks and nothing particularly replaces it. Some more modern well inject water into the oil bearing strata to increase the oil return. Sadly gas is not injected. Its actually usually on top of the oil and in the bad old days just burnt off. As to coal in the North East we had one of the most productive coal mines in the world going miles out under the North Sea. This was at Lynemouth and there were millions of tonnes left in it. Unfortunately I believe all the shafts are now flooded and pretty inaccessible. 

There is still a load of coal in the area at sea and on the land. 

7 hours ago, Trooper74 said:

Let the fracking commence, and only pay Cuadrilla the rate for the gas at 39p / therm .... or even better .... take Fracking into government ownership for the benefit of the UK population.

You really don’t want government in charge of fracking

43 minutes ago, husoi said:

I know we're nuts...

Russian embassy in Lisbon last night

Oooh, I bet that pissed off the Russians. You'd better watch out as they may put you on their list of countries that been liberating too! Mind you that's probably quite a long list now.

2 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Oooh, I bet that pissed off the Russians. You'd better watch out as they may put you on their list of countries that been liberating too! Mind you that's probably quite a long list now.

We kicked the French arse 3 times, the romans, visigods and a few others.

Do you really think we're scared of that idiot?

Last time we had an "adventure" was a Diesh member trying to recruit. It just didn't went well for him, end up being beaten up and had to be rescued by the police 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, husoi said:

We kicked the French arse 3 times, the romans, visigods and a few others.

Do you really think we're scared of that idiot?

Last time we had an "adventure" was a Diesh member trying to recruit. It just didn't went well for him, end up being beaten up and had to be rescued by the police 😂

On at least one of the occasions you beat the French I seem to remember you had a wee bit of help from the Brits but I'll give you the rest.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

On at least one of the occasions you beat the French I seem to remember you had a wee bit of help from the Brits but I'll give you the rest.

Yes we did get the English to help. That's what the alliance was for :P

By the way, it is the oldest alliance still in place :thumb: 

So be nice to me 😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

See that someone in Shell has woken up to their massive PR faux pas over buying Russian oil. Now going to shut their Russian operation entirely. Wonder when the 70% of Russians supporting this war will wake up to the reality. I'm not holding out much hope as the ones I have on board who have full access to international news firmly believe the absolute  BS coming out of Russia. These guys are pretty well travelled but still............

• Sad 1

Mc'd temporary closure of all Russian outlets, welcome to the war. 

USA is ending Russian oil as are we this year. 

See how coca cola and Pepsi do as the slowly dwindling pool of big corps have the light turned on them. 

• Like 1

On 07/03/2022 at 16:19, Trooper74 said:

Coal can be environmentally safe ish if burnt in conjunction with a flue gas treatment plant.

The reason they were shutting the cokers is because to retro fit a FGT costs millions.

Yes I work in a power station.

Yes I think eventually we will be digging for coal again....

• Like 3

Given that it cost $1.5 million to fit a flue gas treatment plant on a ship which is a fraction of the size of a large power plant I'd imagine the cost for one would be huge. As for coal I don't know if we'll reopen mines here as where would we get the experienced miners? There's also plenty of it available from overseas but it will be interesting.

21 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

Given that it cost $1.5 million to fit a flue gas treatment plant on a ship which is a fraction of the size of a large power plant I'd imagine the cost for one would be huge. As for coal I don't know if we'll reopen mines here as where would we get the experienced miners? There's also plenty of it available from overseas but it will be interesting.

Thats what started the downfall. Polish coal.

We do tours on plant which the public can book onto. What tends to amaze them is the fact the FGT takes up around a third of the footprint of the entire site.

Ours, as like most nowadays is direct link to the EA. Thus, it cannot be "frigged" and legally we can't operate without it in service.

The old mantra was "burning n turning" i.e fire in boiler and the turbine generating.

Now its "burning, turning n monitoring"

• Like 1