My 8 year old daughter would like to ride pillion. Help, tips etc appreciated

Ainzley91

Evening all,

I am currently going through my bike test, have a 125 but obviously need L plates and no pillion passenger but when I pass my 8 year old would like to come on the bike with me. So a few things. 
who takes their little ones on with them? 
Any recommendations for decent kids motorbike clothing, and bearing in Mind she is girly so will want pink and purples but I won’t be substituting her safety for her fashion. Found a few decent helmets she likes (proper kids ones) but struggling on the clothes front. 

Finally any tips for taking your precious little pains in the ass on the bike with you? 

cheers 

Edited by Ainzley91

53 minutes ago, Ainzley91 said:

Evening all,

I am currently going through my bike test, have a 125 but obviously need L plates and no pillion passenger but when I pass my 8 year old would like to come on the bike with me. So a few things. 
who takes their little ones on with them? 
Any recommendations for decent kids motorbike clothing, and bearing in Mind she is girly so will want pink and purples but I won’t be substituting her safety for her fashion. Found a few decent helmets she likes (proper kids ones) but struggling on the clothes front. 

Finally any tips for taking your precious little pains in the ass on the bike with you? 

cheers 

Good gear is a must, I would however get a bit more practice in after passing test before putting a pillion on the bike. 

It changes the dynamic of the bike especially if they don't stay put 😁 

28 minutes ago, Bender said:

Good gear is a must, I would however get a bit more practice in after passing test before putting a pillion on the bike. 

It changes the dynamic of the bike especially if they don't stay put 😁 

I’ll have to teach her to lean with me and not try to stay up right, I rode a fair bit illegally when I was younger with both people on the back and solo. 
it’ll be short trips to and from picking her up from her mums, nothing big at first just to get her used to it as much as me 👍

Have a look on eBay or FB for gear. She’s gonna keep growing so you’ll be going through gear every year probably. You can always put it back online when she’s outgrown and recoup something back. 
Explain to her that she mustn’t get on or off the bike until you give the nod. Nothing like a pillion getting on or off when yours not ready. Recipe for a dropped bike. 
You can buy a pair of pillion love handles for your daughter to give confidence. It’s a belt with handles for her to grip. 

Also don’t forget you have her on the back. You won’t feel any weight. I used to check my son and daughter were still on the back when they used to come out with me as I could feel them on the back. Used to reach back on grab a leg. lol

1 hour ago, Ainzley91 said:

picking her up from her mums

That will be your biggest hurdle if she doesn't agree and wants to be awkward! 

Hopefully you both have a good relationship with no issues and it all goes smoothly 

17 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

Have a look on eBay or FB for gear. She’s gonna keep growing so you’ll be going through gear every year probably. You can always put it back online when she’s outgrown and recoup something back. 
Explain to her that she mustn’t get on or off the bike until you give the nod. Nothing like a pillion getting on or off when yours not ready. Recipe for a dropped bike. 
You can buy a pair of pillion love handles for your daughter to give confidence. It’s a belt with handles for her to grip. 

Also don’t forget you have her on the back. You won’t feel any weight. I used to check my son and daughter were still on the back when they used to come out with me as I could feel them on the back. Used to reach back on grab a leg. lol

I know she’s gonna cost a fortune in clothing lol, but Aslong as she enjoys and has as much fun as me.

I’ve seen them handle things and considered it.

What about when you think you have them on, grab round and nothings there and you think you’ve lost them 🤣

17 hours ago, Stu said:

That will be your biggest hurdle if she doesn't agree and wants to be awkward! 

Hopefully you both have a good relationship with no issues and it all goes smoothly 

Her dad is a biker and races side cars so she’s totally fine with it and yeh we get on fine. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ainzley91 said:

Her dad is a biker and races side cars so she’s totally fine with it and yeh we get on fine. 

You're lucky then :lol: 

4 hours ago, Ainzley91 said:

I know she’s gonna cost a fortune in clothing lol, but Aslong as she enjoys and has as much fun as me.

I’ve seen them handle things and considered it.

What about when you think you have them on, grab round and nothings there and you think you’ve lost them 🤣

Luckily that never happened. 

Another thing to consider is a top box. 
That will give you both peace of mind. 
It will definitely make her feel safer. 

My advice if learning this summer, wait till next spring. Get some experience.

Get some experience  under your belt then make some rules, mine where:

No riding in wet weather,

No riding with wet leaves or gravel on roads (IE after heavy rain, strong winds),

Obviously no snow it ice,

Start with 30 minutes runs,

Hot chocolate or ice cream at each stop,

Intercoms are good, but be prepared to get turned off in preference for music,

Love handles or Pillion handles,

To boxes are good,

Avoid heavy traffic / filtering.

Her rules no motorways they are boring.

The other crazy thing to watch for is them relaxing and falling asleep. I have heard tales of this.

2 hours ago, onesea said:

No riding with wet leaves or gravel on roads (IE after heavy rain, strong winds),

To boxes are good,

The other crazy thing to watch for is them relaxing and falling asleep. I have heard tales of this.

Had a rider up here did that a few yrs back, it didn't end well. 

11 hours ago, onesea said:

To boxes are good,

i intend on short 10/15 minute trips to start with. 
i won’t be in the rain etc on my own, it’s going to be a nice sunny day thing for me lol 

Think the handles are a definite go to and too box.  
A friend told me that he knows someone who rides bikes, his mrs was on the back and would go to sleep, luckily they had a top box and side bags that kept her in place. 

15 hours ago, onesea said:

The wife does this all the time :? 

In the UK legally they must be able to rest their feet on foot pegs. Also check your insurance will cover Pillions many dont.

As others have said get some real experience before taking a pillion  and make sure they wear all the gear including gloves no matter how hot the weather is.

My Daughter is in her 20's now but, when she was younger,

she used to constantly want to go on the back of my bike.

Once she could reach the footpegs we got her kitted up and gave it a try.

She wasn't physically capable of holding herself upright on the bike!

We tried every few months until she could then she was fine

• Like 1

I've had the "pleasure" of my grand daughter as a pillion since she was 7yrs old, she is now 10 and as her mum puts it "a proper little biker chick" to which her response is "yep, so get over it". When she first started as pillion we bought her some decent gear off Ebay, for 2 reason mainly, 1 to be sure she liked it and 2 the fact she was already taller than the average 7yr old and growing fast. Since her first ride round the block she hasn't looked back, in fact she took to it like a duck to water and before we moved over to Tunisia every Sunday was her day out on the bike with grand dad regardless of what mum n dad had planned. Doing 200 miles in the day was nothing to her so long as we finished the day at Squires near Sherburn. Her first pillion was on my 1st K1100LT until I bought an ST1100 and then finally another K1100LT. The ST was her favourite due to it's comfy seat and sporty style for a large tourer. The more she got accustomed to leaning into bends etc the faster she wanted to go to the point where I had to take on a lap of Olivers Mount at Scarborough which is all hairpins for bends.

The down side is if you want to ride out for peace and quiet then you can forget it if she likes it, and don't make the mistake I did and put intercoms in the helmets. defo no peace and quiet then

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, John Metcalfe said:

The ST was her favourite due to it's comfy seat and sporty style for a large tourer.

I like that girl :cool: 

You? not so much. trading a Pan for a beemer... 🤣

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, husoi said:

I like that girl :cool: 

You? not so much. trading a Pan for a beemer... 🤣

I had both at the same time and to quote "she who shall be obeyed", better known as the wife. The ST was for playing out on, ie more sporty and the K was for long distances in comfort due to the seat being like an armchair and the top box complete with backrest etc

. However after we moved to Tunisia and could only bring one bike over and the ride was going to be the best part of 2000 miles in 3 days from Pontefract West Yorkshire to Genoa Italy to get the ferry over to Tunisia the beemer won the day so the ST was sold and the beemer now lives here in the sunshine.

Started taking my youngest for ride outs when he was seven or eight. Bought the gear from J&S - Frank Thomas kids - We always fit the top box when we go out, and we had comms. Now he's 13 and 6ft it costs even more for his riding gear 🤨 now I have a garage full of kit that fits no-one 😂   

• Like 1