Exhaust issues.

Fiddlesticks

Hi all. 

Bike is a 2013 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

Thought it sounded a bit throaty this afternoon. Looks like one of the three tabs in a join under the belly pan has rotted off.

Not sure if it's been repaired previously.

I have a welder here, but not confident it's worth trying to patch.

Anyone any idea what I'm looking at in terms of cost to repair? Not sure whether it will be just the centre section, or the front pipes too.

IMG_20221002_175337.thumb.jpg.8ee8ef2d2abfdd390eff693ebd373a0d.jpgIMG_20221002_175236.thumb.jpg.5b38e764d5765a2fe77ce2b8d2dd30ed.jpg

46 minutes ago, Tiggie said:

@Stu is right. I'm betting you would burn many many extra holes in that trying to weld it up. At least I know I would :lol:

As a temp measure could you use one of the holts silencer patches?

s-l500.png

s-l500 (1).png

Funnily enough I have knocked up something temporary that looks remarkably similar.

Looking through the Triumph forums it seems like a common (and expensive) problem.

• Like 1

Even if you can successfully weld the break the chances are high that the material immediately adjacent to the weld will rapidly corrode away or it will fracture on the edge of the weld. Patch in the short term, replace in the longer term.

• Like 1

It’s more than a little shocking that something like this, which was common in the 80s is happening on a relatively modern bike from 2013.  My old beemer unchanged when I bought it in 97 was fully stainless and it first appeared in 1993!!

Triumph. What were you thinking!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

I was wondering about a custom stainless system but not sure about the legality of removing the cat.

If your happy with the bike you can have a stainless cat added you don't have to have it without 

• Like 1