Removed motorcycle entitlement.

Spongefinger

Hi guys, 

Something popped up in a group I'm in then this video by Spicy110 emerged. It's about people who have had thier motorcycle license a long time then when they have to send I'm their license for what ever reason the motorcycle entitlement has been removed and unless you have physical proof you passed they refuse to put the entitlement back on and you have to start from scratch! Anyone here heard of or experienced this. Seems mad. 

I’ve heard of this, apparently it happened to an experienced, highly trained and highly ranked police motorcyclist, had to retake his test.

The best advice I have heard is that when you have to renew ‘accidentally’ loose your license and if the new one arrives without your motorcycle entitlement, miraculously find it again and use it as proof.

You can also check your entitlement on line, so you could challenge before the current one expires.

• Like 1

I’ve heard of this. And I have a suspicion that the opposite happens as well

i have the book “Call the Midlife” by the DJ Chris Evans. On page 165 it details how he discovered that he had full motorcycle entitlement on his driving licence. Although he had never taken a test. And it says his assistant checked with the DVLC and they confirmed that he had full motorcycle entitlement

Some time after reading the book though he was talking on his radio show about taking his motorcycle test. So probably he decided to take the test anyway

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davidtav said:

I’ve heard of this. And I have a suspicion that the opposite happens as well

i have the book “Call the Midlife” by the DJ Chris Evans. On page 165 it details how he discovered that he had full motorcycle entitlement on his driving licence. Although he had never taken a test. And it says his assistant checked with the DVLC and they confirmed that he had full motorcycle entitlement

Some time after reading the book though he was talking on his radio show about taking his motorcycle test. So probably he decided to take the test anyway

Something similar happened to my mates business with 7.5t and towing a trailer one of his drivers lost it when he renewed licence but didn't notice till he got a spot check, they absolutely refused to put it back. 

I have heard about it a few times, DVLA hav eeither lost data or they have incompatible systems, hence they manually have to input data, with inevitable human error mistakes.

It happens with  Registration docuemnts as well. I had a Mondeo and after taking it for MOT I got letter form DVLA saying the VIN number was incorrect and I was not allowed to use the car on the road, tye virtually accused me of havinga cloned car.

Luckily I had a copy of the previous REG doc from last owner. It turned out to be DVLA mistake when the issued me with the Reg doc, they got the number worng a "3" had become a "8".

• Confused 2

I've had similar issues on 2 separate occasions with licence renewals. I had to change my address and during this process the DVLA removed my bike entitlement. Luckily at the time I didn't have a bike and had no intentions at that time to get one. When I had to renew my picture my bike entitlement reappeared but my LGV entitlement had vanished. As I had not driven LGV's for a number of years and most definitely had no intentions of doing so I wasn't too bothered. However at this time I was contemplating getting another bike and was resigned to having to retake my test, big sigh of relief no retest required. 

The really strange thing is I had passed all my driving tests whilst serving in the RAF so should I have needed proof I had it all and would have been able to provide the necessary paperwork. I would have most certainly only sent them copies of the paperwork not the originals given they have the habit of conveniently losing things when it suits them.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, John Metcalfe said:

I've had similar issues on 2 separate occasions with licence renewals. I had to change my address and during this process the DVLA removed my bike entitlement. Luckily at the time I didn't have a bike and had no intentions at that time to get one. When I had to renew my picture my bike entitlement reappeared but my LGV entitlement had vanished. As I had not driven LGV's for a number of years and most definitely had no intentions of doing so I wasn't too bothered. However at this time I was contemplating getting another bike and was resigned to having to retake my test, big sigh of relief no retest required. 

The really strange thing is I had passed all my driving tests whilst serving in the RAF so should I have needed proof I had it all and would have been able to provide the necessary paperwork. I would have most certainly only sent them copies of the paperwork not the originals given they have the habit of conveniently losing things when it suits them.

Dvla once decided I didn't have a licence at all, lucky at the time I had 2 old paper versions, sent one off and they lost it 🤔 gave photocopy to police and Dvla still said I never passed a test 😂 

• Like 1

I recall one instance of a dispatch rider losing his entitlement. Even though he had photo copies from three previous employers, they refused to give him his entitlement back.

I haven't heard any cases for quite a few years now. So hopefully it's sorted.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2022 at 08:42, bud said:

I recall one instance of a dispatch rider losing his entitlement. Even though he had photo copies from three previous employers, they refused to give him his entitlement back.

I haven't heard any cases for quite a few years now. So hopefully it's sorted.

It's happened recently to people on a Facebook group I'm in.

On 28/10/2022 at 13:59, Spongefinger said:

It's happened recently to people on a Facebook group I'm in.

Is that like the video says, people who only now realised? Or  a new occurrence of missing entitlement?

It's also things like no claim bonus on insurance as well. If you have a history of insuring big bikes, then have to do a new test. Where would you stand?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have had a full motorbike licence for over 40 years .

But not actually owned a bike for 15 year at least .

I heard somewhere that DVLA could take my bike licence off me for not actually using it for many years  I am hopping to retire this year and buy a bike . Is there any truth in that there could take the bike part off my licence away from me 

11 minutes ago, Ronniesugden said:

I have had a full motorbike licence for over 40 years .

But not actually owned a bike for 15 year at least .

I heard somewhere that DVLA could take my bike licence off me for not actually using it for many years  I am hopping to retire this year and buy a bike . Is there any truth in that there could take the bike part off my licence away from me 

Fake. How would they know you aren't riding a bike? 

The problems with people losing their entitlement to ride motorbikes was an administrative balls up at the DVLA.

DVLA couldn't care less about what you own or ride, there are no checks for what use your license has, as long as they've not removed it by accident and you didn't notice your fine.

Take a pic of your licence if you ever send it off, they do make errors.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bender said:

DVLA couldn't care less about what you own or ride, there are no checks for what use your license has, as long as they've not removed it by accident and you didn't notice your fine.

Take a pic of your licence if you ever send it off, they do make errors.

Exactly what I did when renewing recently, I made a good quality scan of both sides.

It came back perfect, so hopefully that's all been sorted in the past couple of years.

• Like 1