Twists n turns.

Allanmania

Hi all,

As mentioned before not long passed my CBT. Got me a Sinnis Outlaw 125cc.

I’ve now got 90 miles under my belt. Yes I know barely a scratch but it’s a start lol.

anyway the question? How do you figure out what speed you can take corners at?

In the 50/60 zones  I find myself unsure of the bikes capabilities and how well it can corner? Going down to 30-20mph at some.

pretty sure I took a corner today and felt

like Bike was slipping under me but that was at maybe 40-45 mph. I know all depends on the curve and incline.

but was just interested to

hear thoughts?

15 hours ago, Bender said:

It comes with practice and experience, plenty of vids on YouTube to make sure your approaching it correctly. 

Don't try to go faster than your capable of controlling. 

Thanks for the details will have a watch of this on my break. 
Common sense tells me it’s experience but thought I would ask.

much appreciated 

There is absolutely no answer to this question . It's a matter between you , the bike and the corner ..And the next one , and the next one etc etc . I know someone will be along to tell you about vanishing points , camber , counter steering , racing lines etc etc well good luck with all that . Personally I think you should just hum a little song and ride your bike . 

• Like 1

I love giving contradictory advice 😀

1) First rule of cornering never start a corner faster than you think you should,

2) When you do break rule number one (you will). don’t brake trust your bike for most it’s more capable than you are. Look to the safe bit of road round the corner not at the ditch, tree, hedge your sh1ting yourself about.

3) Corner speeds are rarely restricted on the road by the cornering ability of the bike (or car) but the need to consider stopping for the unexpected hazard round the corner.  

4) Look for safe place to ride not the hazard, you go where you look on a bike and the hazard is not where you want to go 😱

PS Has anyone mentioned counter steering yet?  🥶😨😶🌫️😳😱

Ride on straight road relaxed grip at say 30mph.  Push and one handle bar and see which way the bike turns, it’s not what you might think.  Someone will come along and post a better explanation.

PPS Your slip and slide could of been road conditions leaves, oil, gravel, cold wet road etc these hazards are out there among others.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fastbob said:

There is absolutely no answer to this question . It's a matter between you , the bike and the corner ..And the next one , and the next one etc etc . I know someone will be along to tell you about vanishing points , camber , counter steering , racing lines etc etc well good luck with all that . Personally I think you should just hum a little song and ride your bike . 

I like this response lol thanks 😂

3 hours ago, onesea said:

I love giving contradictory advice 😀

1) First rule of cornering never start a corner faster than you think you should,

2) When you do break rule number one (you will). don’t brake trust your bike for most it’s more capable than you are. Look to the safe bit of road round the corner not at the ditch, tree, hedge your sh1ting yourself about.

3) Corner speeds are rarely restricted on the road by the cornering ability of the bike (or car) but the need to consider stopping for the unexpected hazard round the corner.  

4) Look for safe place to ride not the hazard, you go where you look on a bike and the hazard is not where you want to go 😱

PS Has anyone mentioned counter steering yet?  🥶😨😶🌫️😳😱

Ride on straight road relaxed grip at say 30mph.  Push and one handle bar and see which way the bike turns, it’s not what you might think.  Someone will come along and post a better explanation.

PPS Your slip and slide could of been road conditions leaves, oil, gravel, cold wet road etc these hazards are out there among others.

Appreciate all the above advice and defo gonna have this counter steer thing a test as I have seen heard a few things about it 😁👍🏻

The classic is advice is slow in, fast out; i.e. slow down, but be back on the throttle before you enter the corner. That way, you can control your speed more easily and you will keep the bike steady. The best advice, though, is hum a song.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bender said:

Probably half that speed 

@AllanmaniaI am sorry I should not of mentioned it, the subject that shall not be named.

@Bender  it actually works at any speed.  Try it on a push bike (to expensive to try on motorbike).

Go as slow as you can, in a straight ish line.

Push a  handle bar.

Natural reaction/ muscle memory steps in (or you fall off) watch which way you turn...

Just now, onesea said:

@AllanmaniaI am sorry I should not of mentioned it, the subject that shall not be named.

@Bender  it actually works at any speed.  Try it on a push bike (to expensive to try on motorbike).

Go as slow as you can, in a straight ish line.

Push a  handle bar.

Natural reaction/ muscle memory steps in (or you fall off) watch which way you turn...

No it dosent 😂 if your going slow you can turn the bars and it will go that direction, it's like riding a trike. 

I'm pretty certain when I do u turns I'm full lock and going in that direction 😁 

• Haha 1

I  was so confused by counter steering - read lots - watched lots of videos which get more and more complex... 

In practice I think it is easy - if you want to go - right - you push forward and down with the right bar - and lean to the left - if you want to go left you do the opposite - it doesn't matter 'why' it works - it just does - 

You should be counter steering to do the figure 8

as for speed - sit on the bike stationary - push the handle bar forward and down and the bike will sway that way 

Edited by Tigs

1 hour ago, Bender said:

No it dosent 😂 if your going slow you can turn the bars and it will go that direction, it's like riding a trike. 

I'm pretty certain when I do u turns I'm full lock and going in that direction 😁 

Climb on a bike and try it, it might surprise you...  

At slow speed:

1. You initially go as expected (eg push right bar go left), 
  2. Then the bike of balance starts to lean the wrong way (to the right in this case)
  3. You correct so you don't fall off (push left bar)and swerve in the opposite direction (to the right in this case).

It does happen as you describe however to get to that stage you have to start somewhere...

Edited by onesea
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bender said:

Counter steering is something you do without thinking, you learn it mostly as a kid riding a pushbike, if you can go round a corner at anything approaching 20 you have to do it or your in the hedge 😁 

It’s all about being conscious of it. If you know you’re doing it you can control it with better input. 

For instance, you are starting to drift wide on a right hander. The correct input is to push the bar to tighten your turn by making the bike lean more. (I would also increase my speed slightly to use the rear to help me round)
If you didn’t know to do this consciously there are loads of incorrect inputs you could do that could end up badly. 

Most stoned  fuckwits off a council estate can ride a bike or scooter better than all us old farts put together . Counter steering my arse .

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1