First Bike

Tigs

CB500S

image.thumb.jpeg.075269f62ce3bedc782870debc67ff51.jpeg

It was a great bike, reliable, fun, easy to ride, and I was sorry to see it go. But overtakes took a lot of preparation (looking back, I can see now that I needed an even lower gear and a lot more revs). But they would have been less of a performance with a bit more power. 

Edited by bonio
  • Like 1

XJR1300 because I couldn't help myself.

IMG_20220130_114057.thumb.jpg.f77803b1b5146ccf1c50df93926091b4.jpgFollowed by a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 because it works well as a 2 up tourer and year round motorway commuter.

IMG_20220720_193634.thumb.jpg.9ed923ed080e839e221560eb15f61174.jpg

Lots of variables..

What will you be using the bike for?

What's the budget? 

What style of bike do you want? 

How much do you want to pay for insurance?

How confident a rider are you?

Do you like spending hours polishing chrome?

Will you be carrying a pillion passenger?

Do you need luggage?

Do you need a screen?

What other features would be useful? (Hand guards, heated grips, shaft drive etc.)

What sort of performance are you looking for?

Inside leg measurement?

Edited by Fiddlesticks

Oh .. please recommend me some!

What will you be using the bike for? mostly commuting to work - South London

What's the budget? I'm thinking about 2-3K

What style of bike do you want? I like naked bikes

How much do you want to pay for insurance? As little as possible!!

How confident a rider are you? Pretty confident - am finding my CBR 125 a touch slow - feel ready for something a bit bigger but not mad!

Do you like spending hours polishing chrome? no

Will you be carrying a pillion passenger? probably not - 

Do you need luggage? a little - sad to say I will probably need a topbox!

Do you need a screen? I think i'd like one

What other features would be useful? Having been out today I think heated grips is a yes - hand guards and bars look like a good plan

What sort of performance are you looking for? More 'pull away' than my 125 - but keep in mind most of my routes are 20-30 mph - so not too mad anyway!

Inside leg measurement? 31"

• Like 1

Tracer 700, nice torquey engine, plenty enough grunt to get along a motorway, but my main reason for picking the tracer was for commuting. It gives me the ability to see over cars, nice upright riding position. 

Yes there are some issues, but that's mostly down to the bike being built to a budget. Things I'd improve would be the suspension as they use the weakest fork oil outside of water (5W), which for anyone over 10st isn't heavy enough. The front brakes provide enough stopping power, even when enjoying those country lanes. I'm still to service the front forks.

It's not long ago completed a tour of Spain, riding through France to get there. Some of the roads around the Picos really suited the bike ;)

Do I love it... It's ok for a first bike. More than enough power for the various roads you'll go on, but if I were to be completing regular long tours, I'd want something with cruise for certain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tigs said:

Oh .. please recommend me some!

What will you be using the bike for? mostly commuting to work - South London

What's the budget? I'm thinking about 2-3K

What style of bike do you want? I like naked bikes

How much do you want to pay for insurance? As little as possible!!

How confident a rider are you? Pretty confident - am finding my CBR 125 a touch slow - feel ready for something a bit bigger but not mad!

Do you like spending hours polishing chrome? no

Will you be carrying a pillion passenger? probably not - 

Do you need luggage? a little - sad to say I will probably need a topbox!

Do you need a screen? I think i'd like one

What other features would be useful? Having been out today I think heated grips is a yes - hand guards and bars look like a good plan

What sort of performance are you looking for? More 'pull away' than my 125 - but keep in mind most of my routes are 20-30 mph - so not too mad anyway!

Inside leg measurement? 31"

Maybe a Yamaha FZ6 Fazer or Honda CBF600?

Monster 821.

ducati-monster-821-01.jpg?mode=max&quali

Loved it. A lovely steppingstone to a supernaked. The Italians may have their flaws, but they don't half know how to make a good looking bike.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 3

Fazer FZ6. 

Cracking bike, quick, agile, light forgiving...

Down side naked and bloody cold in any weather.

Recommendation. TDM900 not quite as quick but the fairing makes massive difference.

Oh and good on fuel.

He says about to sell his TDM as I don't need 3 bikes and that one is most redundant...

• Like 1

CB500 which was a good bike. So much so that many years later when I needed a cheap and reliable workhorse I bought a CBF500. Not as much grunt as my 1200 Bobber but in traffic it's very capable and easy to ride.

On a recent trip with six other bikes from Chester down to Hereford it was the smallest engine but much of the time I was needing to slow down to keep the group together. 

You can ride it relaxed with the low end pull of a twin. If you want to get a move on the engine has enough usable power if you let it rev higher. They used to race the CB500 and if you keep the needle near the red line they are reasonably entertaining but still bulletproof.

4 hours ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

if you keep the needle near the red line they are reasonably entertaining but still bulletproof.

Spot on. A good laugh over 7k, and under 4k - polite as ninepence.

Not quite my first bike, but +1 for the cb500. The best £300 I ever spent. (I've spent more on it now the con rod broke, but I ain't getting rid of it any time soon). Its probably the longest I've ever kept on to a bike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billy sugger said:

Not quite my first bike, but +1 for the cb500. The best £300 I ever spent. (I've spent more on it now the con rod broke, but I ain't getting rid of it any time soon). Its probably the longest I've ever kept on to a bike

I think you probably deserve some kind of award for having actually broken one. That is a very rare achievement.

• Haha 1