Squared Tyre

veracocha

Just completed 3000 miles on my new bike with Pirelli Angel GT tyres. Whilst riding around Scotland earlier this week I felt a very obvious shift at the rear whilst taking the bike around the bends. The front remains perfectly round yet I noticed a flat area around the circumference of the entire rear, almost what could be describes as a "ledge" developing. Don't suppose it can be sorted just riding so is it new tyres time?

My CBF is a workhorse used all winter when grip is limited. It also does a fair amount of motorway miles. By the end if winter the rear can show signs of being a bit squared. I just use the dry days of spring to give it some beans coming out of bends. 

The bike isn't massively powerful so it takes a few weeks riding but it seems to sort things out OK. 

• Like 1

3k miles and a flattening is pretty much normal.

That just means you ride mostly on motorway/dual carriage or long straight roads.

Unfortunately rounding up the tyres doesn't really exists unless you invet some kind of latte for tyres where you will spin the tyre and remove the edge corners to make it round again, but you will only be taking life out of the tyre.

You will notice curving to become harder as you will have to "bounce" over the edge which makes it harder.

The only solution will be a new tyre as soon you start to find it hard to negotiate bends.

I went back to Bridgestone after a not so good run on Michelin.

The guy who fitted the Bridgstone advised me that Continental were trying to get into the bikes market and they have a cracking tyre and those are the ones he's using on his racing bikes.

Can't evaluate the tyres as I didn't try them. Probably will give them a go once the ones I have run down.

• Like 1

New tyres are the only way to get rid of the bump and return to smooth cornering.

I usually put up with it for a while, but eventually even I have to shake the moths off the wallet and cough up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonio said:

New tyres are the only way to get rid of the bump and return to smooth cornering.

I usually put up with it for a while, but eventually even I have to shake the moths off the wallet and cough up.

Agreed. I do not think squared tyres are dangerous, so I have ridden on squared off tyres for long periods (the squaring coming from attending TMBF rallies, which for me involves hours on the motorway there and back).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Throttled said:

Agreed. I do not think squared tyres are dangerous, so I have ridden on squared off tyres for long periods (the squaring coming from attending TMBF rallies, which for me involves hours on the motorway there and back).

My VFR was very sensitive to squared off tyres, particularly prone to “white lining” (no, not that sort of white lining 🤔).   I just put up with it / rode around it as long as the tyre was legal.

I only found it a bit of a nuisance in the wet when I would be leaning just at that point where the shoulder was the main contact with the road … it just felt slightly less stable, though never worse than my CBX750 felt all the bloody time! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, husoi said:

3k miles and a flattening is pretty much normal.

That just means you ride mostly on motorway/dual carriage or long straight roads.

Unfortunately rounding up the tyres doesn't really exists unless you invet some kind of latte for tyres where you will spin the tyre and remove the edge corners to make it round again, but you will only be taking life out of the tyre.

You will notice curving to become harder as you will have to "bounce" over the edge which makes it harder.

The only solution will be a new tyre as soon you start to find it hard to negotiate bends.

I went back to Bridgestone after a not so good run on Michelin.

The guy who fitted the Bridgstone advised me that Continental were trying to get into the bikes market and they have a cracking tyre and those are the ones he's using on his racing bikes.

Can't evaluate the tyres as I didn't try them. Probably will give them a go once the ones I have run down.

I run Continentals, no complaints at all. They work well in the wet for me. 

• Like 1

Well I don’t have much experience really. But I will throw in my thoughts anyway lol … so my Z650 came with Dunlop tyres. They didn’t inspire confidence and they noticeably squared off. I changed them at 3300 miles for Michelin Road 5. These inspire a lot more confidence. And my skills have probably improved a bit. And so I now have 10100 miles on the clock. So I have done 6800 miles on these Michelins. They still feel absolutely fine when riding. And actually I looked at them this morning wondering if they are squared off. Not noticeable. Certainly no ridge. I’m hoping they will still be ok for a few miles yet as they aren’t cheap … yes I do a lot of motorway miles frequently up to Scotland. But also a lot of miles on fast A roads etc

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davidtav said:

Well I don’t have much experience really. But I will throw in my thoughts anyway lol … so my Z650 came with Dunlop tyres. They didn’t inspire confidence and they noticeably squared off. I changed them at 3300 miles for Michelin Road 5. These inspire a lot more confidence. And my skills have probably improved a bit. And so I now have 10100 miles on the clock. So I have done 6800 miles on these Michelins. They still feel absolutely fine when riding. And actually I looked at them this morning wondering if they are squared off. Not noticeable. Certainly no ridge. I’m hoping they will still be ok for a few miles yet as they aren’t cheap … yes I do a lot of motorway miles frequently up to Scotland. But also a lot of miles on fast A roads etc

I think most manufacturers manage to fit cack tyres to new bikes it's standard I'm afraid. Least you have some tyres you have confidence in now 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

These days all I have are squared off tyres.  My chicken strips have gradually turned into chicken fillets.  Horses for courses, if you ride steady enough to square off a tyre, then you will be good down to around 2.5mm tread depth.

Just don't suddenly decide you are Marc Marquez.  It will fight you if you are suddenly looking for high speed  pinpoint precision on your cornering lines.

Edited by Tinkicker