Question of Insurance claim -- which company?

crayonmuncher

Hi All,

My bike got hit while parked, damage to the exhaust and so on. The third party has admitted liability so all is good on that end. The issue I am having is company related.

Churchill (third party's insurer) called me pretty promptly, ran through the claim and asked for damages pics and arranged an engineer callback. This all seemed pretty reasonable, then my insurer called, or more accurately the claim people (4th dimension) called. This is where the confusion starts. 4th dimension spoke about how they would take the bike away, store it securely and deal with all the claim. But I needed to contact Churchill to let them know. This seemed like a logical option, given they are motorcycle people (and he mentioned they were Honda approved several times).

Yet when calling Churchill, they did not try super hard to retain me (as the person from 4th dimension said they would), but they they warned me that I should not sign any agreements (in particular credit agreements) with them as they will often charge quite high fees for storage etc and then, if the other insurer (Churchill) refuse the inflated fees, I am personally liable for any charges. Then, during this call I received the credit hire agreement from 4th dimension for storage.

So, I went away and had a think and called Churchill back who had to reassess the damage and then (this time around) said it looked like there is a potential chance it can be repaired. They  said the best option was to take to my local garage (or get it delivered, which they will pay for) to assess the repair costs (and this was actually my preferred option anyway). This would result in either a repair or them writing off the bike, depending on the estimate.

Is this the best option (to use Churchill)? Should I go with my insurers claims handlers (4th dimension)? is any of this true or am I being taken for a ride here?

(I have let 4th dimension know Churchill will handle the claim, but this all happened only today so all very early days in the procedure)

I appreciate no one on here is necessarily a solicitor. I am just looking for some guidance/prior experience as I am a bit lost.

Edit;  Churchill also said they would not make me sign anything.

Thanks all. 

Edited by crayonmuncher

4th dimension want to handle the claim so they can bump up all the fees and then charge the 3rd partys insurance an unbelievable amount for what sounds quite a small repair. The 3rd partys company Churchill I understand want to use their repairers so they can keep the costs down. These claim handling companies are a pain in the neck and are only interested in racking up charges so that they can pass on to the other party, and as said if the third parties insurance company dont agree with costs in the small print you could be liable for any costs not recovered. Be very weary of what your signing away to these companies. 

• Like 2

Don't let your insurers anywhere near the bike; as said, all they will do is cream off funds into their bank account, and if Churchill refuse to pay (which they probably will), you will end up owing them money. This is known insurance scam. 

Don't sign anything. Make Churchill 100% responsible for putting the bike back on the road. That's what they're meant to do. If they order work to be done, or storage, or a replacement bike, they will be responsible for the cost.

11 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Churchill are your insurers and it’s their responsibility to deal with the claim. Stay away from anyone else claiming to be a claims handler.

Churchill are the 3rd party insurers. The OP insurers have passed the claim to 4th dimension to handle.

39 minutes ago, JRH said:

Churchill are the 3rd party insurers. The OP insurers have passed the claim to 4th dimension to handle.

The 3rd party insurers own 100% of the liability. The OP's insurers and 4th dimension both need to be told to butt out - it's none of their business.

• Like 1

I had a very similar incident nearly a year ago. The other guy admitted fault within a few days. It's still ongoing as both sets of insurers solicitors try to fleece each other. I kept my bike, didn't put it in storage. I kept the replacement bike for a month then returned it. My insurer didn't seem happy about these decisions. Maybe as these are two things they can charge a fortune for. 

Somewhere in the insurance industry there is a list of unsettled cases. I've had several calls asking for info on my case. They knew details of the case but are essentially ambulance chasers and became very angry when I refused to transfer the case to them after. 

If I have to go through this again I'll use external solicitors like white Dalton who are known in the industry. 

Read every piece of paper and email carefully. I've heard stories of replacement bikes being delivered and the rider signs a lease agreement when they think they are just signing for safe delivery of replacement bike. 

Some insurers are better than others. mine was very good at some things but lacking in others. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JRH said:

Ah, that’ll teach me to read the post correctly.

I would always expect my insurer to deal with the claim, not a third party unless my insurer had advised me they were outsourcing the claims handling. In writing. 

It's in Churchills's interests to sort it out, it's cheaper for them, imagine how many claims they deal with daily.

I've had the other insurance sort out a claim that was 100% not my fault, they were great, inspected, agreed repair, into main dealer, fixed and back on the road in just under 3 weeks, I had one when I was young and stupid that I left to my insurance it took months they were bloody useless.

I’ve had to use 4D. Wasn’t too bad, the biggest problem was with solicitors.

long story shor.

got rear ended at lights. 3rd party admitted fault. His insurer was based in Ireland.

they would pay for damage but no injury claim. (Damaged shoulder and leg and back not serious enough for hospital just doctors painkillers etc) so had to go through my insurer eg 4D and solicitors. 4D chased and pressured the solicitors and got thing sorted , only took 14 months for injuries to be settled, bike payout took less than 2 months.

Thanks all, and sorry for the delayed response.

I appreciate all your responses, and it is good to know  that, generally, everyone is agreeing with getting the third party to deal with this.

Considering all your response, my research, and a cracking video by 44teeth, I am happy Churchill (third party) will deal with this.

In fairness to both sides, they have been reasonable, but Churchill have let me book my bike in at an official Honda dealership (it is a CB1100 btw, and damage has gone across the side of the bike, and possibly bent the front mudguard). The other (4d) were taking it away, booking engineers etc.

My main issue now is no-one wants me to ride it to the local dealership in case something is wrong as it is ~hours drive away. I think the bike is fine, but will probably speak to Churchill about getting the garage to pick it up. They have offered this, but I suspect it could be overkill considering the issues (I have sent damage photos). However, I suppose it will be far easier for them to claim any other things/damages I cannot see are (as I am not a professional) are due to me getting it to the dealership/the ride there. Also, I lack the skills to really look at the bike to ensure it is safe so getting a pick up does sound like a good option.

Thanks again everyone!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, crayonmuncher said:

Thanks all, and sorry for the delayed response.

I appreciate all your responses, and it is good to know  that, generally, everyone is agreeing with getting the third party to deal with this.

Considering all your response, my research, and a cracking video by 44teeth, I am happy Churchill (third party) will deal with this.

In fairness to both sides, they have been reasonable, but Churchill have let me book my bike in at an official Honda dealership (it is a CB1100 btw, and damage has gone across the side of the bike, and possibly bent the front mudguard). The other (4d) were taking it away, booking engineers etc.

My main issue now is no-one wants me to ride it to the local dealership in case something is wrong as it is ~hours drive away. I think the bike is fine, but will probably speak to Churchill about getting the garage to pick it up. They have offered this, but I suspect it could be overkill considering the issues (I have sent damage photos). However, I suppose it will be far easier for them to claim any other things/damages I cannot see are (as I am not a professional) are due to me getting it to the dealership/the ride there. Also, I lack the skills to really look at the bike to ensure it is safe so getting a pick up does sound like a good option.

Thanks again everyone!

I'd go for them transporting the bike. Not least it saves you the hassle of getting back from the dealer.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Just had same experience via Hastings 

4th dimension refuse to work with you if you don't get a hire bike and don't want to get repairs from them

Hastings not interested as they just want your money for the cover. 

This whole system is a scam for bikers and hence why we pay over the odds

I can't see 4th dimension being bikers 

I refused to apply for stuff that was not damaged or needed but it seems like unless you want to join the scam and have no morals you're screwed 

And the accident wasn't even my fault

The car driver was with Hastings too 

Ooops really should have read more before replying!

Edited by bonio