Fail? Using 'wrong foot' on Mod 2 test

Hi two wheeled friends.

Does anyone know definitively if using your right foot to put down when stopping is a fail on a mod 2 test?

I've annoyingly got the start of osteoarthritis in my left hip ( i'm only 53!) so it is painful putting my left foot down. This means I have to use the front brake to finally stop. However, I've learnt to stop smoothly and controlled doing it this way. But will this be an automatic fail?

Any help appreciated.

(First time forum user)

Edited by Deetee
Make title clearer

Unfortunately it's not just about hill starts it's also about covering the rear brake while stationery just incase some hits you from behind 

The instructor will be looking to make sure you use all the controls properly 

Hope you figure something out 

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Unfortunately it's not just about hill starts it's also about covering the rear brake while stationery just incase some hits you from behind 

You can do that and hill starts using the front brake!

• Like 2

My instructor at the time told me of one of his riders had a prosthetic right leg.  The riding school applied for dispensation (not sure if it's the correct word!) which gave allowances for his Mod2.

Basically speak to your riding school.  Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Overstrider said:

My instructor at the time told me of one of his riders had a prosthetic right leg.  The riding school applied for dispensation (not sure if it's the correct word!) which gave allowances for his Mod2.

Basically speak to your riding school.  Hope this helps.

Many thanks folks!

4 minutes ago, KiwiBob said:

So how will you do a hill start on a road where conditions mean you can't put your left foot down?

I use the hill hold feature on my bike :D 

I fail to see that argument! I have never come across a situation where I can't put my left foot down nor should you be putting yourself in that sort of position in the first place 

Technique

A combination of clutch, throttle and finding the bite point will help to prevent you from rolling back. Once you have found the bite point, begin to release the rear brake and increase the throttle. Avoid applying the rear brake for too long as you may stall. Once moving, you will likely need more throttle uphill than you would moving off on a level surface.

What the Examiner is Looking For

On the module 2 riding test, the examiner will request a hill start to assess your control of the vehicle. In particular that you do not continually stall and that you do not roll back. Practice hill starts until you are proficient in preventing this.

POINTS TO REMEMBER

These are the key points to remember when making a hill start, and also what the examiner will be checking during the module 2 road test.

• When pulling over to stop on an uphill gradient, avoid stopping too close to a vehicle in front to allow for moving off easier
  • Get the bike ready, keep your right foot on the rear brake, keep your left foot down to support the bike. Select 1st gear, apply a little throttle and find the clutch bite point
  • Remember before moving off to check mirrors and blind spot. This is essential to safety and examiners are strict on this.
  • Use your indicators before moving off if it helps other road users or pedestrians to understand your intentions
  • You may need to allow greater distance for approaching traffic as moving off uphill may take longer
  • Gently increase throttle and release the clutch slowly else you will stall the engine
RELATED INFORMATION

Before practicing a hill start, you should learn moving off and moving off at an angle from behind a parked car. See:

https://www.motorcycletesttips.uk/motorcycle-riding-tutorials/motorcycle-hill-start/

At no point in that does it mention using the front brake to do a hill start 

And also in this one on moving off 

https://www.motorcycletesttips.uk/motorcycle-riding-tutorials/moving-off-on-a-motorcycle/

Slowing Down and Stopping

• Ease off the throttle.
  • Apply both front and rear brakes smoothly and progressively. (See motorcycle braking technique for further information.)
  • Shorty before the motorcycle comes to a stop, ease off the front brake and to avoid stalling the engine, pull in the clutch lever. (Only pull in the clutch lever before braking if moving at very slow speeds.)
  • Once the motorcycle has stopped, lean away from the road by placing your left foot on the ground to support the weight of the bike.
  • Now apply the front brake and for extra support, place your right foot onto the ground.
  • With the front brake and clutch lever still pulled in, use your left foot to select neutral, release the clutch lever and place both feet onto the ground.

https://www.motorcycletesttips.uk/motorcycle-riding-tutorials/pulling-over-stopping-on-motorcycle/

The only time you let off the rear on slowing and stopping is when you change to neutral turn off the bike and get off 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stu said:

POINTS TO REMEMBER

These are the key points to remember when making a hill start, and also what the examiner will be checking during the module 2 road test.

• When pulling over to stop on an uphill gradient, avoid stopping too close to a vehicle in front to allow for moving off easier
  • Get the bike ready, keep your right foot on the rear brake, keep your left foot down to support the bike. Select 1st gear, apply a little throttle and find the clutch bite point
  • Remember before moving off to check mirrors and blind spot. This is essential to safety and examiners are strict on this.
  • Use your indicators before moving off if it helps other road users or pedestrians to understand your intentions
  • You may need to allow greater distance for approaching traffic as moving off uphill may take longer
  • Gently increase throttle and release the clutch slowly else you will stall the engine

How the h@ll do you select 1st gear with your left foot on the ground?

🏍️

• Haha 1

"Get the bike ready, keep your right foot on the rear brake, keep your left foot down to support the bike. Select 1st gear, apply a little throttle and find the clutch bite point"

As GOG says, sounds like this was written by someone who doesn't ride.

5 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Git said:

How the h@ll do you select 1st gear with your left foot on the ground?

🏍️

Hold the clutch with your right hand, reach down and select first with your left hand. Job jobbed. 

12 minutes ago, Yorky said:

"Get the bike ready, keep your right foot on the rear brake, keep your left foot down to support the bike. Select 1st gear, apply a little throttle and find the clutch bite point"

As GOG says, sounds like this was written by someone who doesn't ride.

That is one of the reasons I often use the front brake doing a hill start. Otherwise you have to do a dance if you were in neutral with the footbrake depressed - switch to front brake, put right foot down, select first gear, put left foot back down, select rear brake, release front brake, set off.

If you stop in first gear it is simpler, but with a heavy clutch and a long wait there is a limit to how long you want to hold the clutch in.

I now have hill start assist!

14 hours ago, KiwiBob said:

So how will you do a hill start on a road where conditions mean you can't put your left foot down?

The examiner on a test is not going to put you in any such situation, he or she may make you pull into a gap by the curb behind a car to observe the whole pulling away on a hill rejoining traffic and avoiding the car.

Once you pass the test you can do what you like.

• Like 1

On 07/09/2023 at 21:52, Deetee said:

I've got an electric bike (zero) so setting off on a hill using the instant torque isn't a problem.

Daft suggestion but:- As you haven't got a clutch lever, couldn't you utilise the space to create a left hand operated rear brake or as you haven't got a gear lever, a left foot brake?

Edited by Capt Sisko

https://www.avscobikecourses.co.uk/2022/06/24/5-biggest-mistakes-people-make-during-their-motorbike-test/#:~:text=Common motorbike test mistakes in the UK&text=Your right food controls your,pressure on your rear brake.

5 most common mistakes for failing a test including....

PUTTING DOWN THE WRONG FOOT WHEN YOU STOP

You will know from your lessons that putting your right foot down when you stop is a big no-no when riding a motorbike. Your right food controls your rear brake, and you must use both brakes when coming to a stop. If you place your right foot down as you are coming to a stop, it will be evident to your examiner that you have no pressure on your rear brake. Ensure you use your left foot when stopping, as this will ensure you have moved down through your gears before coming to a complete stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

Surely, if you put your left foot down you either have to sit with the bike in gear and clutch pulled in, or you have to engage neutral before coming to a dead stop, which means you are not in control of the bike. ??.

No it means you weren't paying attention to your instructor 😂 I managed it fine and on the scale of things am  relatively new.