Welsh Speed Limits

manxie49

It doesn't really make much difference until you come to a built up area and we tend to avoid those when out on the bikes. But I had to visit my brother who lives in the middle of Rhyl and the traffic flow was noticeably worse. 

When it was 30 you'd usually average under 20 anyway. Now you've got people driving at 15mph so the congestion builds up. 

I have no problem with 20 where it is needed but there are large areas where it's unnecessary. 

I reckon it all went to pot when politicians started setting limits instead of police. I suspect we have limits being set now without much reference to accident stats but more with an eye on what's to be gained in the Senedd, the Commons, in Holyrood, or in any County Hall.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Isla said:

On my recent trip to Scotland I rode through a few town centres at 20mph and the world is still turning. Why not go & find out? It may be perfectly rational where they have implemented it.

We don't actually want to waste our time and money going to find out, thats the reason I came on here to ask the question from bikers who may be living it in that area ..... helps in the decision making process.  I don't trust MSM, and I don't trust social media horror stories, so would sooner get it from the horses mouth.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manxie49 said:

We don't actually want to waste our time and money going to find out, thats the reason I came on here to ask the question from bikers who may be living it in that area ..... helps in the decision making process.  I don't trust MSM, and I don't trust social media horror stories, so would sooner get it from the horses mouth.   

I asked my Brother who lives near Capel Curig to read this thread.  And his reply was LOL. and "Who are these people?" "what ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT? They need to get a grip"

And.. wittily: "point out to them that after a night at the theatre Abraham Lincoln told the Daily Mail that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet."

He then sent me a link to this tweet/photo.

Screenshot2023-10-01at12_30_53.thumb.png.3ff20eea610430f8ef8b4d88c684f922.png

My brother is not a biker. he is a car salesman and imports classic American cars that he buys in the desert states. He does a lot of driving in and out of north Wales.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Isla said:

On my recent trip to Scotland I rode through a few town centres at 20mph and the world is still turning. Why not go & find out? It may be perfectly rational where they have implemented it.

Why not make it 10mph eh? Safer still! 

28 minutes ago, geofferz said:

Why not make it 10mph eh? Safer still! 

Days of future past. your comment made me think of a photo from a local history FB group centred on what I consider my home town. The photo was taken in (around) 1935.

Difficult to make out, but to the right of the door is a speed limit sign. 12mph

382711509_7098997126799767_1230696760653573600_n.thumb.jpg.31d90434a333280434cf2c4162e6928b.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, S-Westerly said:

Fellow with a red flag walking in front. Solves all problems. Never get anywhere but hey the eco loons will be happy.

Actually having a guy walking in front doesn't solve all the problems. 

A while back at our local crematorium one of the funeral directors got out of the hearse to walk in front of the procession for the last 100 yards.

Then the hearse ran him over. 

• Haha 4