Planning to ride to the Netherlands in December, any tips?

peepae

Get the ferry to Hoek.  I wouldn't want to be riding from the channel ports at that time of year. And hope its not snowing.

Ensure my phone is full charged and I have good roadside rescue arranged.

Aside from that I wouldn't need much. my jacket and trousers are more than up to the task. I would be wearing thermal long johns and long sleeved thermal top. plus a wool sweater. woolen socks. nothing more than I would wear for a long trip in this country in jan/Feb. (and once again - hope its not going to be snowing - if it is then I would have a plan B.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Get the ferry to Hoek.  I wouldn't want to be riding from the channel ports at that time of year. And hope its not snowing.

Ensure my phone is full charged and I have good roadside rescue arranged.

Aside from that I wouldn't need much. my jacket and trousers are more than up to the task. I would be wearing thermal long johns and long sleeved thermal top. plus a wool sweater. woolen socks. nothing more than I would wear for a long trip in this country in jan/Feb. (and once again - hope its not going to be snowing - if it is then I would have a plan B.

Guess I've already started off wrong with my channel port tickets :D as I will be 30 mins away from them at the time.

14 minutes ago, peepae said:

Guess I've already started off wrong with my channel port tickets :D as I will be 30 mins away from them at the time.

Well yes, they seem super handy from Worthing. But I would rather do the miles in this country and have the shortest hop possible over there. At that time of year. Any other time it wouldn't matter.

• Like 1

If you live close to the channel ports I suppose its fair enough but generally if you are going to Holland any ferry to the Hook of Holland is better. I think they run from Immingham, Felixstowe and possibly Harwich. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gerontious said:

Well yes, they seem super handy from Worthing. But I would rather do the miles in this country and have the shortest hop possible over there. At that time of year. Any other time it wouldn't matter.

Good point, I will be even closer than Worthing at that time so it really is 30 mins then. I booked non-refundable tickets as the smart person that I am, if it turns out too bad I'll probably either not go or book the ferry and pay £££ 🫠

12 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

If you live close to the channel ports I suppose its fair enough but generally if you are going to Holland any ferry to the Hook of Holland is better. I think they run from Immingham, Felixstowe and possibly Harwich. 

Yeah I can understand but I did like to just ride through other countries too + ferry takes 8 hours where I'm not doing anything vs 35 min + 1hr check in time at the train 😮 - maybe not the best time to pick out

Edited by peepae

I did a four day jaunt to Paris this time last year. It really is a beautiful time of year to travel on European roads, just a shame about the temperatures. 

Frosty farmers fields, stretching for miles, glistening in the mid-morning sunlight. Stunning. I’ll see if I can throw up some footage.

I would advise heated gloves, instead of or in combination with heated grips. They’re a game changer for sub-zero temperatures. I also had a heated jacket and socks, and that allowed my to ride all day in sub temps ranging from -4 to 5 deg like it was summer.

Some may see this as risky, but for maximum enjoyment, I would suggest avoiding motorways and enjoying the backroads.

Good luck!

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

I did a four day jaunt to Paris this time last year. It really is a beautiful time of year to travel on European roads, just a shame about the temperatures. 

Frosty farmers fields, stretching for miles, glistening in the mid-morning sunlight. Stunning. I’ll see if I can throw up some footage.

I would advise heated gloves, instead of or in combination with heated grips. They’re a game changer for sub-zero temperatures. I also had a heated jacket and socks, and that allowed my to ride all day in sub temps ranging from -4 to 5 deg like it was summer.

Some may see this as risky, but for maximum enjoyment, I would suggest avoiding motorways and enjoying the backroads.

Good luck!

Thanks, you've inspired hope :D - did you change your tyres at all or had 4 season tyres? Ice is my biggest worry.

12 minutes ago, peepae said:

Thanks, you've inspired hope :D - did you change your tyres at all or had 4 season tyres? Ice is my biggest worry.

Nah. Just went for it. Sadly got caught out by snow once back in the UK, but in France it was great; the weather was dry, which helped.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, peepae said:

I've got the EHIC if that's what you mean, I have an EU passport too

That's the one :)

I would say we're in the same boat. But I'm sure everybody here will have a go at it.... 😂

• Haha 1

MY biggest tip for riding in the Netherlands is watch out for the bloody cyclist, and I don't mean the red light jumping idiots we have here, I mean everyone. Young mums with their kids in rear trailers & forward cargo boxes. Workman with all their tools. School kids, commuters and shoppers. If you're lucky they might have a light, but don't expect the super bright LEDs our lycra louts have. Lastly, every single one of them know that as general they have right of way, and they exercise it. It's up to you to see them and react accordingly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Capt Sisko said:

MY biggest tip for riding in the Netherlands is watch out for the bloody cyclist, and I don't mean the red light jumping idiots we have here, I mean everyone. Young mums with their kids in rear trailers & forward cargo boxes. Workman with all their tools. School kids, commuters and shoppers. If you're lucky they might have a light, but don't expect the super bright LEDs our lycra louts have. Lastly, every single one of them know that as general they have right of way, and they exercise it. It's up to you to see them and react accordingly. 

This is the one thing I knew as I grew up in NL and always took my right of way!! 🤣

I did it here in the U.K. a few times but have been hit off my bicycle before.. so more cautious

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

You'll want to get a decent set of chains for your tyres before you set off. 

Sorry, just teasing. 

Heated kit, like Joe says. Keep an eye on the weather forecasts and take a break in a hotel if snow is likely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mawsley said:

Ferry to the Hook at this time of year is horrible - either seasick pills or copious alcohol and a decent cabin.

alcohol, theres a surprise , you drunken nonce

• Haha 2

Gerbing are running 20% off their heated clothing and gloves this weekend with code BF2023.

Some good discounts to be had. I'm tempted by the heated trousers. Brought the gloves, jacket and socks last year and they're absolutely marvelous, especially the socks (although a faff to get on and connected). Everything connects to the jacket, so you adjust the heat levels for the jacket, socks and trousers through the controller. The gloves have built-in, independent controls.

Edited by Joe85
  • Like 1