Keeping bike outside in winter without covering

George

Hi all.  I leave in Wales and riding my cb125f every day and don’t have garage so it staying outside in all weather. I can’t really cover it because it’s always wet. I try to maintain chain as much as i can and using wd40 for key holes and starter button. What else would you advise me to prevent damage to bike?  Thank you in advance 

image.jpg

Edited by George

hi!

cover..even cheap light weight ones do better than not at all.

our bikes had and still do live out side with only one side of the house and a cover for protection all year round.

GT86 is better for keys imo.

rust protection xcp rust blocker or acf50 are the best to use.

paint protection, detail and a really good wax.

personally seat/pvc use nickwax (lightly) leather restorer, brilliant on biking gear and car/house leather seats.

slicone grease for electrical protection.

battery charger.

for the chain especially wet weather normal thick gear oil or if you want to apply less often use a wax (white) based lube like wd40s but in the dry seasons stick to a dry lube...

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To add to the above...

Avoid using "regular" WD40, it's not a good lubricant, and it's a degreaser/solvent, so won't do rubber seals any good. 

The WD40 brand does have some good specific products though. 

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

To add to the above...

Avoid using "regular" WD40, it's not a good lubricant, and it's a degreaser/solvent, so won't do rubber seals any good. 

The WD40 brand does have some good specific products though. 

wd 40 is a dispersant not an oiler , ok for spraying inside your dizzy cap

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't leave my bike outside uncovered.  My bikes have usually had to sleep outside and I have always covered them and they seem to survive well.  Just make sure the cover doesn't trail on the floor and stop air circulating.

1 hour ago, skyrider said:

wd 40 is a dispersant not an oiler , ok for spraying inside your dizzy cap

Yup, that was my point. 

As a brand, WD40 produce various products for specific uses, but standard WD40 is a water dispersant, hence the name. 

It's actually the 40th version of the product they were originally trying to produce. 

• Thanks 1

Buy a cheap cover. It'll keep most of the weather off. Also it'll keep birds foxes etc messing your seat. 

I had a cb125f for about 2 years. It was never once inside but kept a cover on it at night and it survived well. 

Also according to Bennetts, a cover will reduce the likelihood of theft apparently. 

• Thanks 1

I bought a small hand held air blower on amazon to blow the bike dry after washing it as I did not like to leave it wet under the cover 

About the size of a skil saw but very powerful Any time I wash the bike now I give it a blast with this before putting the cover on 

I will change the mains cable on it as it is a little short for my liking 

I have taken it apart to see whats involved and it would be straight forward to replace with a longer lead 

image_2024-02-14_155251595.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

cbf 125f 2011 used weekdays and some weekends, had since 2015 kept under covers its whole time, have a top box which stores the cover and chains.

ive had 5 other bikes over the years (different manufactures and ages) all under cover, keep it clean and well prepped and it will stay nice for sooo much longer it is worth it in the long run...

Edited by RideWithStyles
  • Thanks 1

Both our bikes live outside, Suzuki 650 and Aprillia Tuono 125 …. Covers … Oxford waterproof lined covers …. I know they aren’t cheep …about £120 …. But they really do the job and also keep the bikes away from prying eyes… and scumbags …

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would buy one of the covers that are made from - effectively - tent fly sheet material. These will keep most of the wet off, any that does get through, or if the bike is wet when covered, will more easily evaporate off as the material is very thin and breathable. Most cheaper covers are like this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, V650 said:

I bought a small hand held air blower on amazon to blow the bike dry after washing it as I did not like to leave it wet under the cover 

About the size of a skil saw but very powerful Any time I wash the bike now I give it a blast with this before putting the cover on 

I have taken it apart to see whats involved and it would be straight forward to replace with a longer lead 

Brilliant suggestion - just under £20 from AimTools inc postage. Looks like it is small enough to do the bike better than my leaf blower which is too big to get into the nooks and crannies.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2024 at 15:53, V650 said:

or an extension.. no dismantling, no loss of warranty …..

1 hour ago, Trooper74 said:

or an extension.. no dismantling, no loss of warranty …..

I have already installed a double waterproof socket on the side of the house about 3 feet from the bike and diden't want to be trailing a extension lead on the wet ground 

So I thought it should be straight forward enough to replace the power cord with a longer one to get me all the way round the bike :-)

Warranty doesen't bother me too much as it was not too expensive and if there was an issue then sending it back from Ireland to the UK for repair / replacement would be a small hassle so happy enough to just replace the cord with a longer one with molded  plug

• Like 1