Winter gloves? Heated Gloves? Recomendations?

I really don't want to fit heated grips to my bike, as wonderful as they are, and would prefer just to get some warmer gloves.

Even with silk inner gloves, my Alpinestars GP Plus gloves are too cold below about 14 degrees C. Below 10 deg C and my rides are curtailed at about 20-30 mins as my fingers just go numb or painful - not fun. 

Today in 5 deg C I was done after 15 mins.

Are warmer, non-heated 'winter' gloves worth bothering with? Do they actually keep your hands materially warmer than regular gloves, or are they just delaying the inevitable? 

Or are heated gloves the only way to go? I must admit, the thought of faffing with batteries of having to plug myself into the bike with cables etc does seem like quite a faff, but if they're the best thing since sliced bread(?) which ones do people recommend? I'd be wanting high safety rating, long cuff.

I'd be interested to hear people's views and experiences.

I can stand cold weather but I have to admit, heated gloves are the difference between a great day and a normal day. I'm on my third pair of heated gloves. Both Gerbing's failed after a year but were really effective and warm gloves. My new Keis 701 are somewhat less so. If it were not for the heated grips I would take them back. My Keis jacket though is a game changer, brilliant. 

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, RideWithStyles said:

those gp gloves are just that...

get water proof and winter gloves will make it more bearable.

for me perso

nally as i suffer from very cold hand naturally, its two grades full winter with heated grips and 2/3 seasons gloves with heated grips if its nippy.

Thanks - any recommendations?

Current bookmarks are:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/407566#reviews

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/69186

But do they actually work? I don't want something that just takes an extra 30 mins before my fingers freeze. 

I'm not worried about water proof, I have no intention of riding in the rain, nor chancing getting caught out. 

Edited by Interference Fit

14 minutes ago, veracocha said:

I can stand cold weather but I have to admit, heated gloves are the difference between a great day and a normal day. I'm on my third pair of heated gloves. Both Gerbing's failed after a year but were really effective and warm gloves. My new Keis 701 are somewhat less so. If it were not for the heated grips I would take them back. My Keis jacket though is a game changer, brilliant. 

Your feedback matches what I've read online for both those brands - unreliable or not hot enough.

• Like 1

I have knox zero 3 MK2. They are good and warm but very thick and a bit clunky on the switches. 

I also have heated gloves from five. They are battery powered. I've ridden on the motorway for an hour in near freezing and they were fine but needed the high setting so only had about 3 hours of juice. I've bought a second set of batteries so I don't get caught out on my commute. 

Waterproof gloves will also be windproof which helps keep you warmer. 

Both my gloves have been great in the rain too. 

• Thanks 1

I have Gerbing heated gloves which I run on battery packs. I got the highest rated batteries. I ride all year and over the winter the heated gloves work fine for my usual 1 hour each way ride. They don't get warm, they just stop my fingers getting cold. 

Mostly I use them on the lowest setting. Once this winter had to go to medium. I've never had to run them on hot. 

One issue is that they won't fit under my jacket sleeves so in heavy rain water does run down into them. But they still don't get cold. 

I could hardwire them to the bike but I prefer the flexibility of batteries. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve used Gerbing heated gloves to ride around France at -4 while feeling like it was summer.

Heated gear is a game changer… If you can be bothered with the faff of connecting of it all up. 

As for Gerbing, I need to update my review on here. Their connectors are weak, and are prone to failure if connected/disconnected frequently. I’ve sent my heated jacket back once already for repair, plus had my heated gloves replaced under warranty due to a cable failure. My heated jacket has just failed again also.

Edited by Joe85

I wear kind of cheapo winter gloves which actually fit me quite well. If the air temperature is much below 10C I start to feel my hands becoming uncomfortably cold after an hour. I couldn't be bothered with electric gloves and I just dont like heated grips. My solution was to fit bigger wind deflectors to my handlebar control protectors which keeps the back of my hands in still air now. 

Works for me...

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, daveinlim said:

I have knox zero 3 MK2. They are good and warm but very thick and a bit clunky on the switches. 

I also have heated gloves from five. They are battery powered. I've ridden on the motorway for an hour in near freezing and they were fine but needed the high setting so only had about 3 hours of juice. I've bought a second set of batteries so I don't get caught out on my commute. 

Waterproof gloves will also be windproof which helps keep you warmer. 

Both my gloves have been great in the rain too. 

The Five gloves look good. Do you have to set the level on each glove independently? 

9 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

The Five gloves look good. Do you have to set the level on each glove independently? 

They have the controller on the right glove. The left will automatically change temp too so you don't have to change both. I've had a few five gloves as they fit me really well. They are made well and have hard scaphoid protection which is something I always look for. 

I've ridden from Gloucestershire to Northumberland and back when the temperature according to the bike was -2 all the way. I have plug in Keis gear including liner gloves which I wear inside Richa winter gloves.  At no time was I cold. The only fly in my ointment was the low sun in my eyes coming south. That was a real bitch.

Gerbing heated gloves, I love them.  I hate cold hands and got these as a Christmas present a couple of years ago, money well spent IMHO especially if you ride year round.

Edited by manxie49
spelling

I went out for two hours yesterday morning, temp was showing 6°C. I didn't need the Keis heated Gillet (which I've had for around 15 years), but the Keis heated 701s gloves were brilliant, too hot on the highest setting for me. :thumb:

I've also got the gerbing gloves. 

When I was learning, one of the lessons I started early morning and the yard at bumpy in West Yorkshire was like an ice rink, could barely stand up and I thought to myself there's no way we'll be out today. 

Not a chance, we were out and within about 20 mins my hands were completely dead. I honestly could have cried when they started to come back to life again. It was one of the most horrific rides of my life and I hated every minute of it. Almost certainly not safe either. 

Once I'd passed my test I got some gerbing under gloves and they're fabulous. They're a bit of a pain to get on the bike initially as you've got to get used to doing everything in a set order otherwise you'll forget to plug something in. They can go very hot, but I don't like the feeling of actual heat on my hands as they just end up getting sweaty, just keeping them at a normal temp is perfect for me. 

They run off the bike battery so you're good for as long as you can ride for essentially. 

Edited by Phil1
  • Like 2

I took a punt on the Gerbings which arrived today, but I'll be sending them back for two reasons.

Firstly, they just don't fit my hand shape - finger tips pressing tightly against the ends whilst there was a half inch of excess thumb flopping about, so that was a non-starter.

Secondly, the heat was well below my expectations. I made sure I unlocked the hottest setting and attached to a 12V power supply and even after 20 mins on max, they were 'warm' at best. I inserted my pyrometer and the hottest reading I could get anywhere within the glove was 30 degrees C. Maybe that'd be enough to stop my fingers hurting from cold, but no way would that bring the 'warm and toasty' as per some of the reviews. As for the hottest setting needing to be unlocked to prevent scalding? Not a chance. Lovely gloves but the heated bit was very underwhelming.

On reflection, I canl't be faffed with cables and connections, so will just buy the warmest Aplinestars (they fit my hand shape) I can find - not that their website indicates which are the the warmest.

11 hours ago, Interference Fit said:

I took a punt on the Gerbings which arrived today, but I'll be sending them back for two reasons.

Firstly, they just don't fit my hand shape - finger tips pressing tightly against the ends whilst there was a half inch of excess thumb flopping about, so that was a non-starter.

Secondly, the heat was well below my expectations. I made sure I unlocked the hottest setting and attached to a 12V power supply and even after 20 mins on max, they were 'warm' at best. I inserted my pyrometer and the hottest reading I could get anywhere within the glove was 30 degrees C. Maybe that'd be enough to stop my fingers hurting from cold, but no way would that bring the 'warm and toasty' as per some of the reviews. As for the hottest setting needing to be unlocked to prevent scalding? Not a chance. Lovely gloves but the heated bit was very underwhelming.

On reflection, I canl't be faffed with cables and connections, so will just buy the warmest Aplinestars (they fit my hand shape) I can find - not that their website indicates which are the the warmest.

With the Gerbing gloves, the hottest two settings are locked out. You have to do some weird button combo to unlock it.

18 minutes ago, Joe85 said:

With the Gerbing gloves, the hottest two settings are locked out. You have to do some weird button combo to unlock it.

He does say that he had unlocked that setting. 

None of my gloves were ever warm, just enough to stop my hands feeling cold. The combination of heated grips and heated gloves make it better. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, veracocha said:

He does say that he had unlocked that setting. 

None of my gloves were ever warm, just enough to stop my hands feeling cold. The combination of heated grips and heated gloves make it better. 

Ah sorry