Filling up

No centre stand here, just sit on it and fill it up, always use pay at pump so I don't have to remove a single garment. 

• Like 3

No centre stand here, too. Clean the chain using a paddock stand. Only time its inconvenient is when I'm touring, as the paddock stand stays at home.

• Thanks 1

same as westy...

my bike (1yr old to me) and the 125cbf (good few more years) have centre stands , they have a purpose but still dont get it right every time so i hardly use it.

if its a bad day i use this to help clean the wheel and chain... harder than off the ground (centre stand) but better than any other way.

IMG_1642.thumb.jpeg.7218f2e32a489a4870d4ae5f0c502337.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usually just the side stand for me 

But I always get off the bike to fill it as I am afraid of scratching the paintwork or dripping petrol all over it 

17.7L tank on the 500X

Edited by V650
  • Like 1

Always stay sat on the bike when I fill up, always have always will.  Particularly useful if it's pay at the pump.  Having the side stand down, as @S-Westerly said, is a good idea though.  I do that when allowing a pillion to get on and off the bike as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Capt Sisko said:

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

1953 variant of the famous "Beach Bully" advertisement.

image.thumb.png.c388970521112980beb60356cc777728.png

That's brilliant, wonder how that would go down nowadays.. 

As it happens, I'm 6ft1" and weigh 100kg, but that's 50kg of moobs 😂😂

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Mississippi Bullfrog said:

I used pay at the pump once - the thieving blighters took £100 out of my account just to put £8 of fuel into the Bobber. Never again.

Are you sure? Usually they show a notice saying you can fill up to £100 worth of fuel. It only actually charges you for what you put in. 

its a way to reduce the risk of people just fuel and do a runner.

what happens is that it pre charges your account (charges in holding) making sure you can pay for it to the maximum amount before dispensing fuel but will allow you to take fuel, then after you have filled up it then applies the amount you take...

2 hours ago, Nick the wanderer said:

Are you sure? Usually they show a notice saying you can fill up to £100 worth of fuel. It only actually charges you for what you put in. 

its completely normal and has been for years. The money going out then returning is normally instant. It only becomes problematic when you go abroad - France in particular. The money goes out and can take a few days to return. This is of particular issue if you use one of those holiday cards and haven’t loaded them sufficiently to cope. @smallfrowne had this happen to him a few years ago. He had something like £70 on his card and the fuel refused to flow. So guess who paid for his fuel!! It could have been bad if he was on his own. In this country it might be an issue if you use a card with little cash in it and no overdraft. Even if the overdraft isn’t touched the system insists on a certain amount of guaranteed payment until the transaction is completed. It takes a £100. Subtracts the value of the fuel bought and returns the balance. This should all happen in seconds. It happens every time you use pay at the pump. Unnoticed. Usually.

Edited by Gerontious
  • Like 1

I use pay at the pump fairly regularly especially at supermarkets where its just a kiosk and no handy loo. Some of the Asda are purely pay at pump, that or nothing. I've not had an issue with excess deductions. Even in France last year although that may have been the card I was using.

12 minutes ago, S-Westerly said:

I use pay at the pump fairly regularly especially at supermarkets where its just a kiosk and no handy loo. Some of the Asda are purely pay at pump, that or nothing. I've not had an issue with excess deductions. Even in France last year although that may have been the card I was using.

you won’t notice unless you check. But they have to do it. There’s a reason they say you can take £100 of fuel. Because you’ve promised to pay up to that amount. The alternative just opens them up to people not paying. If your account only has £20 in it and you fill up and buy £50 of fuel - what’s going to happen? They don’t want the hassle of chasing customers for money owed. This way prevents that happening. It would be better if you could tell the machine how much fuel you want to buy. £20 they just take £20 and the pump shuts off at £20. But that’s not the way they do it - they take £100 and refund £80 so fast it doesn’t even register. Worst I had in France was money taken on the Saturday and only returning the following Tuesday.

• Like 1

No centre stand on mine, I just sit on it and carefully fill it, I'd be gutted wasting any 😏

Girlfriend pulls up close so we fill up together. 

• Like 1

There aren’t many, in fact I can’t think of any offhand that come with a centre stand as original from the factory. It’s a real sign of the. Profound change in tastes in bikes that centre stands (or the lack of them) are an issue. When the world was sports bike mad - back in the day. There were all sorts of ingenious ways of oiling a chain easily. I liked the spinner!

The move from shaft bike to chain in 2018 meant I had to get a centre stand. It’s ok - but definitely takes more effort to get the bike onto it than my much heavier BMW. And the balance is shocking by comparison. I could lift the front wheel of the BMW off the ground with one finger. It takes quite a bit of effort to do the same on the Honda. Cleaning the front wheel is an effort. It’s almost like the centre stand on the BMW was designed in from the start - whereas the Honda was almost an afterthought. I had to have one though. Fitted from the start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gerontious said:

There aren’t many, in fact I can’t think of any offhand that come with a centre stand as original from the factory. It’s a real sign of the. Profound change in tastes in bikes that centre stands (or the lack of them) are an issue. When the world was sports bike mad - back in the day. There were all sorts of ingenious ways of oiling a chain easily. I liked the spinner!

The move from shaft bike to chain in 2018 meant I had to get a centre stand. It’s ok - but definitely takes more effort to get the bike onto it than my much heavier BMW. And the balance is shocking by comparison. I could lift the front wheel of the BMW off the ground with one finger. It takes quite a bit of effort to do the same on the Honda. Cleaning the front wheel is an effort. It’s almost like the centre stand on the BMW was designed in from the start - whereas the Honda was almost an afterthought. I had to have one though. Fitted from the start.

A mechanic I spoke with yesterday, said exactly the same thing about BMW, and that the balance overall is superb. 

When j used pay at the pump it was in Wales and took the best part of a week to refund the £92 pounds of fuel I hadn't used. It was near the end of the month and that much missing from my account was a problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, Gerontious said:

My BMW R1250RT came standard with a centre stand, and for a heavy bike it's quite easy to use, even for a shortarse like me.

Neither Ducati or Moto Guzzi came with a centre stand and in both cases I paid extra for them. The Ducati's was good and pretty easy to use; very useful for caring for the chain and stable too. The Guzzi's ain't. Shaft drive so that aspect is not an issue but the thing isn't stable at all. It's quite a narrow base and where I keep my bike (on a slope) there's a distinct tendency for it to tip. Consequently I don't use it unless the bikes on the flat somewhere and I'll use it when cleaning. Seriously considering removing it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorky said:

My BMW R1250RT came standard with a centre stand, and for a heavy bike it's quite easy to use, even for a shortarse like me.

Near where I live a BMW RT blew over in the strong winds we had a month or so ago! It now seems to be parked closer to a nearby wall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Way back in the mists of time my new 250 got a dent in its tank when a large Yamaha with a full fairing blew over and landed on mine. Annoying!