Module 2 - members test experiences

thought I'd post about my experience :)

If you read a few posts up, on Jan 2nd i was looking for schools, on feb 6th, i passed my MOD 2 :P

I used a school in Manchester called mototechnique and would highly recommend. cheaper than any other school in this area and couldn't really tell you why, good advice and tuition throughout.

Mod 2 was at the Atherton test centre and did recognize a few roads up there(ironically from when i went to look at a big bike ) Karl was my examiner and no complaints whatsoever about him. Instructions were exceptionally clear and in good time, he also had a nice bike, I think it was a blackbird but it also looked a different from one, so not too sure.

Independant ride i was asked to follow signs for M61, then Bolton, then Wigan. All easy to follow and being left alone to make my own decisions on a bigger bike was strangely enjoyable, despite being under test conditions.

one thing I noticed was I was so much more comfortable on my bike test than on my car driving test. Whether thats because you're sat in the car with the examiner watching everything you do, or whether I've been riding for 6 months most days I'm not sure.

Anyway, now time to sell my CBR125(any takers? it's in the for sale sub-forum :wink: ) and get me a bigger bike

Ok then, my Mod 2 experience...

I trained with Eurorider, just to the north of Cambridge. They are utterly awesome, can't recommend them highly enough. They're based about 5 minutes from the test centre (Hardwick), which is pretty handy. Had one and a half days of training with them, then got overexcited and booked a Mod1 cancellation for the following wednesday... then passed and booked a Mod2 cancellation for the following tuesday... and that went rather well too :lol:

My Mod2 was at 8:30am, which as it turns out is a pretty good time to do it at Hardwick, if like me you prefer country roads to City roads. Apparently they stay out of Cambridge at rush hour wherever possible. So, quick ride around the school 20 zone of hardwick, all over the surrounding countryside following instructions from the examiner with lots of asking to pull in where safe, etc. And I didn't get overexcited and miss any ovservations :lol: Then a short bit of free riding ("Drive towards Cambridge along the quickest route and I'll observe") up past Bourne airfield, along the A428, then back down to hardwick. All over in 30 minutes - he'd said it would be about 45, so naturally I thought "shit, I must've done something really wrong"! :oops:

While we waited for the examiner to come indoors, my trainer asked me how I thought it went - my response was "I don't think I did my best..."

So you can imagine my surprise when the first thing he said was that he hadn't seen a clean sheet for a while! :lol:

Riding a 125 all over the darn place for the last year was well worth it considering how easily I breezed through Mod1 and Mod2 as a result. It just felt like riding to work and back, most natural thing ever. I knew all the roads like the back of my hand, the wet & windy conditions didn't bother me in the slightest, and I've had long enough to get all the bad habits out of my system :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

im so happy i get to post about my experience now after reading everyone elses.

i was so nervous in the build up to my mod 2 (which i had today), although oddly enough i wasnt as nervous as i was for the mod 1. at the test centre, after the eye sight test and questions my examiner said "get yourself on your bike and move off when youre ready". it was at that exact moment i sat on the bike and started the engine that the heavens opened and it wasnt just heavy rain, it was that proper nasty rain that was smashing me in the face which bloody hurt. but everytime i closed my visor it steamed up so i couldnt see anything. i thought "brilliant, and ive only just pulled out of the test centre". after that it was a pretty smooth ride and not really much to report to be honest.

stopped on the side of the road about 4 or 5 times for normal stops, hill start and angled start behind a car. had to stop for a leaner driver doing a reverse parallel park in the road so just sat and waited patiently. i thought im not risking it and the safest thing to do is probably stop and not try to be a smartarse and go round. after what felt like a 10 minute ride, turns out its been half hour and were heading back into the test centre where i was told "if you know the way back, make your own way there and ill see you inside". this was after the independant ride had finished so i was a bit surprised by that but because i live in the area and knew the way anyway it was a relief to know it was basically over.

so i park up and then wait anxiously for the result. "passed!" he says. now i know how the rest of you felt when you passed your tests and wrote about it here like im doing. which by the way, reading all your posts really helped me to prepare for my mod 2 so thank you to everyone for your stories. i could of gone into more detail of my test but honestly you would be bored. the only thing i can say as advice for those of you who havent yet done your test is that no matter how nervous you feel, always have faith in yourself because to be truthful with you i didnt believe i was going to pass. but i had an exellent ride and passed with no minors. probably the happiest day of my life lol. and even if you make a mistake, whatever you do, dont write the test off just yet. carry on and try to forget about it because you never know, what you think is a failure MIGHT just be a minor.

oh just one more thing id like to add, after we did a pull away from the side of the road i noticed in my mirrors the examiner left his indicator on for about a mile down the road. i couldnt help but laugh to myself :lol:

now im saving up for my gsxr 600 and i cant wait! :D

• 1 month later...

On my Mod 2 at the show and tell part, when asked to show him the kill switch I insisted that the starter was the right one, until he asked me if I was sure that that one wasn't the starter. :oops: Thankfully everything else went reasonably well after that and I passed with just one minor.

Passed my Mod 2 today with 2 minors. The ride went well especially the independent ride because the destination I was given was the same one as what was given during my practice ride an hour before. I would highly recommend the practice ride before the test because it gets rid of nerves and gives you an idea of what to expect such as the amount of traffic etc. Also any errors you make such as indicate too early if there was a turning before your intended turning, you can correct the mistake and get no minors for it. :D

I haven't posted much but certainly read the forum regularly so I thought I'd share that I passed my Mod 2 today :)

I was all OK until he lead me out to the bike and started to ask about carrying pillion passengers when all of a sudden I started to feel really nervous! I took a moment before starting the bike whilst he got ready and thankfully I settled down pretty quickly and by the time I'd turned a couple of corners I was OK. Actually had a lovely ride around Farnborough and the surrounding areas. I used to go there quite a bit a few years ago but haven't been there for about 15 years so it was great to ride around it with the sun shining.

I didn't think I did much wrong during the test and was pretty pleased when he said "I'm pleased to tell you you've passed". The only thing he said was that I could do with getting up to speed a bit quicker to maintain a gap with the traffic behind me but I had no minors. Overall pretty damn good!

It's been great learning to ride, I've loved every minute of it. It feels wierd to not have a lesson booked - I've no rides to look forward as I don't own a bike yet. Shopping or at least looking at the weekend.

Congrats Sabs, well done!

I see you are in Bracknell, once you get one give us a shout as I am just over in Newbury.

If you are after a Yammy or Suzuki, Pro-bike in Newbury are a dealer and have a good range there. Ask to speak to Kev if you see something there, he dealt with me the other week buying a YZF600R and he's a good chap.

Congrats

I got exactly the same comments from passing in Farnborough :D

You went with Pinewood didn't you? I had Russ for lessons and then Phil took me down for my tests. Got there for mod 1 and he said "the ride was fine, everything was there, perfectly safe, just f**king BORING!!!!!!!!!" :lol:

Coming back up that hill from Camberley past Broadmoor he "encouraged" me to get up to speed by just vanishing up it and getting me to chase him.

Cheers. Yeah went with Pinewood. I think Russ and Phil must have left before I started, a guy called Dave owns it at the moment.

:shock:

Who else is still there? Sharon still about? Mike?

I'll have to wander down and see what's going on

Cheers. Yeah went with Pinewood. I think Russ and Phil must have left before I started, a guy called Dave owns it at the moment.

:shock:

Who else is still there? Sharon still about? Mike?

I'll have to wander down and see what's going on

Nope,

How long ago was this? Dave used to own it a while back but sold it. He took it back last August time I believe.

[quote name="shauny"oh just one more thing id like to add, after we did a pull away from the side of the road i noticed in my mirrors the examiner left his indicator on for about a mile down the road. i couldnt help but laugh to myself :lol: :D

I'd have definitely let him pass me then make him aware of his minor :lol:

Congrats.

Hello All,

I did my Mod 2 on Tuesday (15th April) at Uxbridge. I passed with a couple of minors - a stall and hesitation at a busy roundabout. Regardless, I passed my Mod 1 the day before with no faults too. It was the first attempt at both, so I'm quite chuffed!

I did both modules at the DVSA test centre in Uxbridge.

I found my examiner to be firm but fair.

We left the test centre, then went up a road I'd never been on before. She then asked me to pull over. I do so, then she instructed me to ride on. I went to pull away and my hand slipped off the clutch lever - stall. I quickly started the engine again and proceeded.

The first ten minutes was independent riding, "just follow signs for Uxbridge please", so that's what I did. After a while, she said "the independent riding section is now complete, please follow my instructions".

We continued riding, with me paying close attention to the speed limit and also ensuring I was always at least a car doors-width away from parked cars.

I had a moment on a roundabout, when there was a huge amount of traffic coming from my right and I probably sat there too long. At debrief, I was told I should have gone sooner, but I said if a car is approaching me with his left indicator going, I want to see that car turn left before I proceed onto a roundabout. I got a minor for it anyway.

I rode a very short stint up to 60mph, then it was back to the test centre, park up, job done. The examiner told me in the car park that I had passed and explained the minors to me immediately.

Honestly, I thought I'd failed after stalling it. I could have kicked myself, so I relaxed more after that.

Uxbridge isn't a bad site, you can also do mod1 practice on their pad too.

Well done Dave.

I have my Mod 2 on the 30th in Uxbridge (assuming I pass Mod 1 the week before).

We've worked out that my most likely fail would be 20 zones...any problems with these in Uxbridge?

I did my Mod 2 Test yesterday in Southport. Went on well and I passed yaaay :D

Advice-LOOK, make very good use of those eyeballs and don't be hesitant.

What do I do at a roundabout exiting at 11 o'clock and seemed like a right turn ?

Nway bike shopping now. Might get the fazer for a start. Happy days :)

MOD 1 passed last week with no minors and MOD 2 passed this morning with a couple of minors.

Very happy right now :lol: :lol:

Now onto a bigger bike from my CBF125.

Thanks for all of the great posts on here, it all helps :cheers:

Well done Dave.

I have my Mod 2 on the 30th in Uxbridge (assuming I pass Mod 1 the week before).

We've worked out that my most likely fail would be 20 zones...any problems with these in Uxbridge?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the congrats, appreciate it mate.

Your instructor should take you around the most common test routes from Uxbridge. They're all variable though. If you come out of the test centre, to the mini roundabout and then turn left at the lights, you'll come to a mini roundabout. Go right and the speed limit is 30mph. If you go left. It immediately goes straight to 60, so do the turn, right shoulder check and accelerate. That's a great bit of test route and I really enjoyed it, to be honest. Nothing like gunning it on your test!

As for 20mph areas, out of the test centre and straight across at the lights will send you through an estate of sorts. If you go that way, be aware the limit is 30mph, not 20mph. 20 zones are all signposted. I only had one twenty zone - if you're on the A4020 Uxbridge Road, they like to turn left on The Greenway (or right, I suppose). This road has a 20 limit for half of it. You'll come to a crossroads and the limit changes to 30 on the crossroads. So depending on which direction, you'll either go 30mph to 20mph then up to 40mph onto Uxbridge Road, or turn onto The Greenway from Uxbridge Road and you'll go 20mph to 30mph. It's as simple as that.

I really wouldn't worry too much. 20mph zones are all signposted, so keep your eyes open as you ride around and you'll be fine mate.

Best of luck for Mod 2!

Well done Dave.

good luck for your mod 2 on wednesday mate, you'll find lots of friendly advice on this site to get you ready for your test. reading everyones mod 2 pass/fail stories really helped me just chill out a bit more. remember its all just common sense. scan the roads signs like a hawk, and dont forget to put your foot down if you come to a stop sign! let us know how you get on. best of luck

Cheers mate.

I'm quote confident of mod 2 - just going to wack my soul music on and do exactly as you say :)

I have read loads of useful stuff here which has nullified any pre-test nerves I had (no doubt they'll re-appear tomorrow!).

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers mate.

I'm quote confident of mod 2 - just going to wack my soul music on and do exactly as you say :)

I have read loads of useful stuff here which has nullified any pre-test nerves I had (no doubt they'll re-appear tomorrow!).

I'll let you know how I get on.

All the best for tomorrow mate. I hope you get Max as your examiner!

Best wishes

So today was my mod 2 in uxbridge. I was always very confident with this one - I was in the mindset of 'just going through a formality to get the pass certificate'.

Arrived at the test center early as my co-learner had his test before me. Unfortunately for him he put his right indicator on at a mini roundabout and turned left :shock: ...failed.

Anyway, didn't let that shake me up - "that was him and I'm not going to make that mistake" I said to myself.

Jim, the examiner introduced himself to me, pleasent chap. We went outside and did the show me tell me basics and then I proceeded to play my collection of soul music I like to listen to when driving/riding. Great idea if I'm honest - not once did I find myself listening to my own anxieties and thoughts of the test...weather he saw me tapping to Lou Rawls or not is a different matter :lol:

Ride was pretty standard - I did pick up 3 rider faults, one for not putting a signal on when going straight on at a roundabout (didn't think you had to but just read on the gov.uk website you do...wonder where I got that from :scratch: ), other minors are at the bottom of this post if you are interested to hear.

I knew I passed, I also knew of the 2 minors I received when I made the mistakes. For the mod 2, if you are comfortable as a rider then I really don't think there is any need to worry about it. Mod 1 though - you and a guy that looks like a policeman in a cage...different story haha.

The ride back was hilarious...my instructor for that day hit someone's wing mirror off when filtering then put the bike on stand and proceeded to do the nice guy thing and pick it up...I was cracking up at that one - I almost crashed myself through laughter!!!

I called up the insurance company, got myself set up and rode home on my R6 :D :D :D

Minor faults collected:

-Not signalling when going straight ahead on a roundabout.

-Not proceeding after instructed by driver facing me.

I stopped to give priority to oncoming traffic as the give way sign instructed me to and she just sat there beckoning me forward. Not wanting to proceed for fear of doing something dangerous, I waiting and didn't do anything else. She beckoned a second time. I now looked behind her (there was 20m of space for her to fit into before she met traffic) then I glanced at the priority sign to make sure she had right of way and on the 3rd beckon I decided "ah to hell with it" and went just as mr examiner got on the radio telling me to go. Debateable minor for me but who cares - rather a rider fault than go when she beckoned, then she went and it becomes a dangerous. In short - I'm satisfied I did the right thing. Under normal driving I wouldn't have done the exact same but under test conditions - for me it was like waving someone across the road...

-Squeezed through instead of giving priority to oncoming vehicles.

Hands up - I knew I got a rider fault for this one and was silly of me. On my side of the road, there was a caravan parked. Oncoming traffic approached as I did...we were going 10mph (hence why it was a minor) and instead of stopping for them, I proceeded. We got through but admittedly it wasn't the right decision and really it should have been a dangerous but I'm sure good ol' Jim was satisfied with my riding enough to put it down as a rider fault.

Phil - well done mate!

You're lucky - apparently Jim is known as "Grumpy Jim". I had Max for my test and the other guy had Jim - referred to him as a "miserable bugger". Maybe he'd had a bad day.

Anyway, best wishes for you mate, you did well. Did they take your licence to send off for exchange? They did mine and it arrived on Monday, so 13 days from test to new licence which included the Easter holiday.

It's a nice feeling when it arrives though.

Be safe on that R6.