Module 2 - members test experiences

• 2 weeks later...

Ok soI finally passed second attempt.

First attempt:

Had a two hour lesson the day before which involved a mix of some test routes and general pottering around. Made some silly mistakes but nothing serious. Just mainly being over cautious at junctions and round abouts etc. Test day comes and mines the second one in the afternoon and were taken in pairs. Got to the school and first test guy goes in front of the instructor with me following behind to the test centre. First guy goes off to do his test so me and instructor go for a ride. This is where it goes wrong. Set off and instructor gets caught up at a roundabout swhere I carry on down the duel carriage way and turn off to where I thought we were going. I don't hear the instructor so pull over and wait. And wait... And wait.... Just fuzz on the radio, then I hear a village name so decided to head there to wait... And wait.... Eventually headed back to the center and the instructor was there. Turns out we went in complete different directions. Anyway get ready for test, paperwork etc then show tell questions all fine. Set off and very nervous which probably made me a little over cautious. Anyway do the route and head back. Going through a industrial estate and there is a lorry backing into a yad blocking the road. One car waiting on my side, a lorry a lot further back (probably 3 lorry lengths) and a left indicator. I assume it was parked (no movement and miles back) so overtake and wait behind the car. Examiner comes over the radio "stop and pull up". Just assume at this point he wants to do a stop start. Then I hear "why did you overtake the lorry he was waiting in the cue" anyhow got back to the test center and all fine apart from one major fault for overtaken lorry. Told that lorry could have moved cutting me off from merging back into my lane. Absolutely gutted as it was literally round the corner from test center. Anyway got back to the school and told to ring for test dates. Told none available for a couple of months? Now weeks I could understand but months... Anyway let the fumes settle for a couple of days then ring back, still no news. At this point contemplating doing it on my own bike, renting one etc etc anyway rang another local school and told they have loads of availableity, however was a slightly different bike. Anyway rather than wait for ages decided to book a test with them. At this point it would probably have been sensible to have a lesson before booking to see how I get on with a different bike but due to work etc this wasn't possible.

Test 2:

Turn up at different training school get sorted etc then out to the bike. Quite a bit taller, different brakes, slightly different geometry, different gears. Anyway set off to the test centre and no problems, decided to go to a nearby cafe first. Had a drink then it's time to go to the test centre. Nerves hit like a brick wall. Got to the center and instructor says just pull up infront of the examiners bike. So I turn, bike goes into neutral instead of first, stearing full lock and of course a slow lay down of the bike.... Great start. Anyway go for a cig to calm down a little. Then same routine show tell etc same examiner. Get out on the road and the radio is playing up badly. Luckily it was the same test route but at first I Didnt know that. Came to some lights and no instruction so get in lane to go straight ahead. Get stopped and the examiner is going mad because I was in the wrong lane and should have gone right turn. Anyway no traffic about so move into correct lane. Further on in the test and the instructions getting worse. I pull up and point to my helmet to let the examiner know. Then I hear "that's no good, if there is a problem with the radio get off your bike and come talk to me" so I do and say that it's breaking up badly. "is it ok now" well Yeh im stood right next to you it's gonna be. Anyway seen as it was the same route I decide to carry on. By this point really nervous due to, the drop, the radio, the different bike and the test. Anyway get back to the test center and "congratulations you've passed" what so I passed on a totaly different bike in relatively high pressure situation.... Then gives me some minors for hesitancy... Not supprised but don't care at this point I passed.

So overall not a very nice experience, could have gone a lot smoother but hey, I've passed, it doesn't matter now.

So tips to anyone thinking about/doing training or test:-

Find out how often test dates are normally available,

Don't think you have to do everything with one school,

If you fail don't worry don't argue just accept it and do it again,

Nerves effect everyone in different ways and if you can do a few mock tests,

And most importantly don't give up, it seems to take an age at times but it's nothing compared to how long you will have your license for.

Good luck!

Hi all, bit of a long one (Sorry).

So here we go again, I had my Mod 2 today after passing my Mod 1 last Thus.

It was me & a lad doing his A2 Mod 2 2nd attempt. He went first and me and the instructor went for a little ride around. I was pretty calm and the sun was shining. After we came back the the test centre, the young lad finished his test about 5 mins later, pulled in the bay and just shook his head. He failed for following too closely to cars in front and going too fast Sad I could tell he was very very gutted/upset/angry. He hardly spoke to anyone and ask the instructor to take him back the the training school so he could go home.

So I waited outside for a while until the examiner came back out to do my test.

Questions and number plate went ok and then started the riding.

Independent ride first straight away, I felt alright although I did make 1 little mistake when he said follow the signs for the Station I indicated to go into a left hand turn what I thought said Station on it, but then he radios through with "No, follow the signs for Station, not into a car park" God knows what I read on the sign :?

Carried on through the rest of the test, thought I wasn't doing too bad, kept a nice distance from cars and did loads of obvs. Didn't wobble about on stops etc..

Came to some areas where I looked about for speed limits but for the life of me couldn't see any or had missed them when entering the area so I was a bit worried about what speed to go.

Got back the the test centre behind a car turning in and he just sits and waits in the turning looking at the parking spaces. I sit and think to myself.. do I go on the other side of the road and go road.. hmmm he's a learner, maybe I should wait in case he moves off as I go around.. I decided to wait.

Parked up, end of the test, took my helmet off and said to my instructor "I've got no idea how it went."

Go over to examiner (Same one I've had for the mod 1's) and he says those gutting words "Sorry It's a fail". :( :(

On the debrief he told me on the independent ride bit I was in the wrong lane at one point to turn left (I think). He tried to explain where it was but I don't know Peterborough well and in general I can never remember my way round places until I've been there loads of times lol. He said he had to hold the traffic back because of it. Fair enough. 1 serious in road markings

I also didn't get up to speed/make progress enough. I guess that might have been those areas where I didn't know if it was 20, 30 or 40 maybe. 3 minors for that which he turned to a serious fault.

He also give me 3 minors for hesitation, apart from sitting behind that learner at the end I didn't think I was hesitant at any junctions or roundabouts? Unless he was saying that not going fast enough is hesitation?

1 minor for awareness and Planning

2 minor for change of speed

I really didn't think I did too bad at all, but I guess I did :(

I am generally a more laid back rider not a speed demon, but he said it was like I was not confident or scared of the speed, but really I was just keeping a nice distance between me and other vehicles, going slower through built up areas and ofc the thing that I think caught me out was not knowing the speed limits on a couple of roads.

Just to top it all off, my school can't get me a retest for 1 month! :(

My instructor said that's quite a wait and to book another day training just before to brush up and not feel rusty, but I don;t know if i'll have the funds to do that yet.

So my mod 2 was today.. At 1:45.. When I got to my riding school, a lad was just getting back from his A2 MOD2 test.. He'd failed.. Put me off a little bit!

My lesson before the test went awful! I was in the wrong lane on the roundabout, missed turnings, speed was all off.. Just a terrible lesson! I wanted to just quit then and there lol..

On my test, eye sight fine, questions fine. Ride, independant ride first, following 'minehead' that was all good, wasn't sure of speed limit on one of the roads, but as soon as I saw the sign said 40 I sped up, was pretty jerky when trying to speed up, let go of the clutch a bit fast and then the throttle went a bit weird. Some of my pulling off on junctions was a bit awkward and I was putting my foot down a bit much/not pulling it up when I could have.

At some traffic lights, they had just turned amber, I kept going when really I could have stopped, got seperated from the examiner, which meant waiting on double yellows and holding some traffic. Got going again, and some <>head in a 4x4 pulled around us, I didn't see him. I was indicating to pull away, then as I had he came past me pushing me back towards curb.

Heading back to the test center, I missed the junction off the roundabout, my lane positioning was a bit rubbish there too annoyingly. Noticed it after I went past, decided to just get off at the next junction and the examiner would decided to turn us around or find another route back.

I really thought I'd failed, that ride was not my best riding by any stretch of the imagination.

But all in all, I got 2 minors, one for indicating dunno if it was too late/left on/too early lol knowing me, probably slightly too late not sure though. And one for positioning on the round about I think? not sure lol..

So, MOD1 and MOD2 both passed first time around yay :D

Miss Bex....

I did my tests in Peterborough too..... its a bugger of a place! I still have no idea where I am or where I am going on 'the parkway' as there are so many bits of it and they all look the same!

I went wrong on my mod 2, but still passed it.... came out the test centre, turned right, down to the lights, follow signs to city centre he said... get to the roundabout and city centre is 2nd exit (straight on). I carried on round! When I looked at the sign, most of the letters are missing so I didn't think I had the right exit and just above it is a huge green sign saying 'Boongate'.....no wonder I got confused!

Anyway, went all the way around it, he was waiting for me, I went past him, carried on, down to Pizza Hut roundabout, right on A47, and rest of test was fine :)

Chin up, you will get there!

So i had my Mod 2 on Friday in Kettering... what a day for it.

Im based in Milton keynes and havent spent much time in Kettering in the past so having a 6 hour lesson on Wednesday really helped!

So got to my instructors house for 7am (Ouch) to have a 3 hour lesson/ride before the test. This helped as we covered a couple of other routes with things we needed to be aware of. I was with another student who i had known from our first failed Mod 1 and then both passed this the following week.

Ride went really well and i wasnt as nervous as i was on my Mod 1. I was told i would be second to test and the other guys test was at 10:34 and mine at 11:31. So got to the test center in time, sat down had a drink and knew i would have a bit of a wait. The instructor comes out and says my name... that threw me a little! so eyesight and questions all done and the test begins. Again not feeling that nervous (normally terrible when its something that means alot to me)

So we went out into the country side follwing all instructions, get to a village and the instructor askes me to pull over next to the lamp post, well i see one very close.... indicate and brakes on quite hard then i hear the next one. Ok get to it then think did i check my shoulder moving back off (i was rolling and not at a complete stop) so i think thats it, test failed as i didnt check. Carry on with the ride, couple more stops then the independant ride and then back to the test center.... the time went so quick.

At this point going back in to the room i wasnt sure what he was going to say. I couldnt look at my instructor or the other student when i walked in. get in the room he asks me to put my helmet on the shelf while he was doing paper work. then the words.... congratulations you have passed! couldnt belive it.... i had a clean sheet to boot too!!

few points that really helped me. from CBT to passing was around 8 weeks

- Do reseach on riding schools. I used Horizon in Milton Keynes and they were great!

- my instructor told me to talk sign anything while on my test - i did and it really helped! went through talking about the up coming situation to signing hey Jude for some reason!

- Tell as few people as possible about your test. 1 so you dont have to deal with all the questions if you did fail and 2 when you pass its great to surprise people when you turn up on our own with your bike!

Unfortunalty the other student failed which was surprising as he had ridden so well! good thing is we are keeing in touch to go out when he does pass!

So already covered over 100 miles and its great, even if i still sign/chat to myself!

Good luck to anyone doing the test!!

Didn't pass my Mod2 today.

Good weather, roads were ok. Not too busy etc.

Got two majors. Though I don't think they were actual MAJORS.

Leaving the test centre was a junction. Lots of Parker cars on both sides of the road. In driving up slowly indicating right and looking left and right ready to make the move ten suddenly out of nowhere a van appears driving pretty fast around the bend my front wheel was just about to hit the line and I slam the front brake on. Bit of a jerk and both feet on the floor.

At the time I thought I did ok.

Second was turning right at a busy cross road? Multiple lanes and fairly wide open on all areas. Bit overwhelming. So indicating right and as I pullout oncoming traffic so I wait but he said I pulled out to far forward meaning I was putting myself in danger of the other traffic. Looking back I do remember being there and thinking I was.

And one minor I think for gear change and speed.

Bit gutted as I thought I did ok generally.

Now just hoping its not too much longer till I get my next test.

Feeling a bit deflated but its bound to be like that.

Fist attempt at Mod 2 today and it was a fail, examiner said my lifesavers were not good enough. On the Riding test report I have 1 tick against "Move Away Safely", 1 against "Signals Correctly" and 1 against "Positioning normal riding" but 5 ticks against "Rear Observation Change Direction" with the S column also marked. I assume that this means that the number of observation minors is so high that its a Safety fail?

I was not surprised to fail and I knew I had missed one indication and a couple of lifesavers but I really though I had done most OK. Obviously I need to work on my rear observation.

I will go through this fully with my instructor but does anyone know any good tips that I can use to make sure I don't make this mistake next time? I haven't been able to find any good videos showing how to do it properly !

Sorry to hear mrk123 & gbtcof :(

No calls for any cancellations for me so looks like I'll be waiting till the 17th.

By the look it seems we've all written that we thought we did ok, but I guess we don't see it the way the examiners do.

gbtcof, I had 3 marks against the box labeled "appropriate speed" with the 'S' fault box marked next to it, but also had 3 marks in the "undue hesitation" box but no mark in the S box next to that, so I guess it's just down to if they consider it to be a 'Serious' fault or not, and not generally how many marks you get in it.

I've looked on Google maps to see if I can trace the route for my test so I could have a look to see where it was that I was in the wrong lane to turn off. I can only remember the route for the independent ride but then after that I can't remember which ways I was taken, but I've looked along that whole route on that part and can't see anywhere where I would of made the mistake, so it must have been after it.

I also had a look at the bit where he said 'follow the signs for the station', and then I went to take a left turn and he said no not into the car park.. Well there's a sign just before that car park that clearly says 'Station' with the train picture and a left arrow, so I must have seen that and thought it was left, then reassured by a glance at the sign for the left turn which says 'Station car park' - obviously I didn't read the car park bit.

Best of luck for your next attempts guys, hopefully you won't have to wait as long for yours!

Thanks Bex I have already rebooked. I will keep plodding on until I pass ;-) hope you get your Mod 2 sorted soon.

Wonder if they really check if you have waited 10 days since last test?

does anyone know any good tips that I can use to make sure I don't make this mistake next time? I haven't been able to find any good videos showing how to do it properly !

Anticipate something being there, the look isn't just a formality - it is what it is, a lifesaver. The best videos on you tube to make you do them will be the accidents.

Better luck next time pal.

Hello again everyone,

Originally I was having to wait till June 17th for my Mod 2 retest, however last week my school called and told me there was a cancellation for the 30th of May (Today). I said yes as it was an early test (10:14) as I have work in the evening.

Went down there and had the other lad on the 500 who was with me last time there for his 3rd attempt.

They put on me a different xj6 that I had briefly ridden before but didn't like the steering as it felt really light and loose but I said I'll use it anyway.

When we pulled up outside the centre I told my instructor about it and he had a look and said it's probably being cause by the front tyre as it seems to be right on the limit and has flat spots.

I was told we've got a different examiner this time, Seemed a pretty friendly bloke really.

The lad went first and we went out for a little ride. We got back the the test centre after a while and then lad returned, but unfortunately he had failed again :( Apparently he didn't do enough observations.

Just before my turn, my instructor said to make sure I do plenty of obvs everywhere as this guy is hot on them.

Did my questions and went out for the ride. I felt I was making more little minor mistakes this time and didn't hold up much hope for passing, but when we got back to the test centre, he told me I'd passed with only 2 faults, of which they were because sometimes when I moved over in the lane of went around things, sometimes my steering was a little quick & sudden rather then smooth - which I said to him part of the blame for that is the funny steering on this bike. hehe!

I'm am soo relieved and soo happy! :D

Pleased to say I passed Mod2 today!

Very happy about this as you can imagine.

This was my second time and I was confident and relaxed for this one.

Examiner looked friendly and straight forward and we proceeded.

(2 hours training before the test, for a good 1 hour and half. My instructor had me follow him. All the time giving clear instructions and pointing various things out as well as yet routes. Half way through me following I began to think why am I not leading in front in prep for tr test. But realised whether his intention or not it got me relaxed and at ease with the roads. Then I took front for last half hour. I thought this was a good thing as it really just warmed me up for the test and it worked a treat)

I won't go into too much detail on one 'major' I made but about 5 mins in I thought I messed it all up. Literally just thought 'fuc* another £150 down the drain. But from advice from other riders and on here that just said carry on and relax and concentrate on your ride. Later on he said this was a high end error or something. Literally jut short of a major mark. But he said because I regained control and shown coherence through the rest of the ride I was ok.

Got 3 'rider faults' (apparently they can't use minor as it makes it seem like its not serious) and they where just on 1 shoulder check and a few other 'rider errors'.

All the way through the ride that high end error was on my mind but just kept thinking concentrate and just get this experience on Mod2 (cost enough).

Got back and I'm sat there thinking what I can sell to fund he next test. Bye bye bicycle. And he said in a very stern voice, right, pleased to say (and the rest is history).

So all in all. Advice from a newly passed for mod 2:

Don't drink 1 week before your test.

Get plenty of early nights prior to your test.

Read up on Highway Code and road signs.

Read others experiences on here (17 pages of it).

Eat a good breakfast

Smile at your examiner

Stay focused and alert at all times

Concentrate on the moment and what's in front if you. Not what's happened

Relax ad enjoy your test.

Thanks again. Ill be seeing some of you soon!!

If I can note here, my driving school was XS Driving school in Bradford, Ian and his family have been in the business for 40 eyars, longest running in the UK I think. Really good focused and relaxed training. Highly recommended.

Passed my Mod 2 today, I thought I was worse than my first one and I got 9 minors, for some reason I was very nervous and made a few basic control errors. Still its all behind me now.

Time to find a bike which will be my next post in the forum....